British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Gifts for ushers (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/gifts-ushers-800724/)

Ethos83 Jun 20th 2013 9:07 am

Gifts for ushers

Big day is coming up in a month's time and she who must be obeyed reminded me that I need to get small token gifts for the ushers and best man.

Since I know you're all regular habitués of fashion and style mags, I'm sure you can come up with some right solid suggestions.

One caveat. No cufflinks. We all have too many of these already.

?

shiva Jun 20th 2013 9:12 am

Re: Gifts for ushers

custom cufflinks, my brother got arabic calligraphy ones done, very tasteful and subtle but unique and a nice gift.

apart from that whats your budget per head, range of gifts is limitless so a budget would narrow down options considerably.

Millsyisland Jun 20th 2013 9:14 am

You could always go with the engraved tankard - fairly useless (unless they like drinking from a metal container) but a nice keepsake. Not sure where you'd get one over here though.

Ethos83 Jun 20th 2013 9:14 am

Hmm. Between £50 and £100 each? Five men total.

Or am I being too cheap? I don't want to go Mentalist.

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 10766110)
custom cufflinks, my brother got arabic calligraphy ones done, very tasteful and subtle but unique and a nice gift.

apart from that whats your budget per head, range of gifts is limitless so a budget would narrow down options considerably.

Ethos83 Jun 20th 2013 9:15 am

Getting married in UK.

Originally Posted by Millsyisland (Post 10766116)
You could always go with the engraved tankard - fairly useless (unless they like drinking from a metal container) but a nice keepsake. Not sure where you'd get one over here though.

shiva Jun 20th 2013 9:19 am

budget seems fine, depends what your mates like. try get something thats personal to you and them, that will mean something in the future and not something that they will never use.
I hate gifts that sit in drawers then get binned ten years later.

if your mates were out here then arabic calligraphy cufflinks might mean something. Think about shared experiences etc and something they can use regularly.

If nothing comes to mind a nice silver money clip with their initials etc. Hip flasks, tankards etc tend to just collect dust and to my mind are a waste of time and money

Blue Cat Jun 20th 2013 9:20 am

A good bottle of vintage champagne in a nice presentation box maybe?

shiva Jun 20th 2013 9:22 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 10766143)

not bad idea but I'd go for a port they can lay down for a while

Ethos83 Jun 20th 2013 9:24 am

That actually is a solid idea. A first from you, BC. Not unique but it's something that would be well appreciated, more than yet another pair of cufflinks.

One of the ushers was in Dubai with me but not the rest so a Dubai/Gulf related memento isn't going to strike the right chords.

Vintage champagne, really good wine or first rate scotch?

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 10766143)

Ethos83 Jun 20th 2013 9:24 am

Or port even. I'm beginning to see a light at the end of the tunnel.

Blue Cat Jun 20th 2013 9:25 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 10766145)
not bad idea but I'd go for a port they can lay down for a while

yeah well any bottle of nice stuff really, in a nice box to keep so to say :) men don't really do jewellery and shit they would probably be happier of with a voucher for some kind of action day thing

Blue Cat Jun 20th 2013 9:25 am

Originally Posted by Ethos83 (Post 10766150)
That actually is a solid idea. A first from you, BC. Not unique but it's something that would be well appreciated, more than yet another pair of cufflinks.

One of the ushers was in Dubai with me but not the rest so a Dubai/Gulf related memento isn't going to strike the right chords.

bloody cheek I am full of good ideas! :rofl:

Ethos83 Jun 20th 2013 9:26 am

Which reminds me to hunt for the passport. They're taking me out on a stag do for the weekend. It's a surprise. Not got a clue where / what.

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 10766154)
yeah well any bottle of nice stuff really, in a nice box to keep so to say :) men don't really do jewellery and shit they would probably be happier of with a voucher for some kind of action day thing

shiva Jun 20th 2013 9:32 am

Originally Posted by Ethos83 (Post 10766150)

http://www.gordonandmacphail.com/

Ethos83 Jun 20th 2013 9:40 am

I have had their whisky at a wedding in Scotland. Each of us got a little bottle as a favour.

Mine is still unopened somewhere. But I sampled someone else's and it's good.

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 10766176)