British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Getting a mortgage here, for a house back home (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/getting-mortgage-here-house-back-home-566685/)

Spugsy Oct 12th 2008 12:45 pm

Getting a mortgage here, for a house back home

Me and mrs Spugsy are considering buying another flat back home in Newcastle, obviously the whole credit crunch thing is bad news, but if house prices are dropping then it may be a good time to invest if we are over here and earning decent money,

First off - would you think it's safer to do that than buy somewhere over here?

How long do you think it'll take for the market to pick up again?

And would it be possible for us to get say a £100k mortgage/loan between us and use the money to spend on a property back home?

Cheers financial dudes....:unsure::confused:

NedKelly63 Oct 12th 2008 12:58 pm

Re: Getting a mortgage here, for a house back home

I didn't have you pegged as a capatalist b**tard mate!

Good thinking batman - there's a killing to be made back home if you've got some spare dosh

The Dean Oct 12th 2008 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 6867458)
Me and mrs Spugsy are considering buying another flat back home in Newcastle, obviously the whole credit crunch thing is bad news, but if house prices are dropping then it may be a good time to invest if we are over here and earning decent money,

First off - would you think it's safer to do that than buy somewhere over here?

How long do you think it'll take for the market to pick up again?

And would it be possible for us to get say a £100k mortgage/loan between us and use the money to spend on a property back home?

Cheers financial dudes....:unsure::confused:

Probably too soon to buy a place in Newcastle...............

I'd advise you to wait until they've built some new properties, such as ones with electric lighting and toilets inside the house..........

More seriously - it's far too early to buy property in the UK. I reckon somewhere around February 18th 2010, just before teatime, will be a better bet for bargains.........

Spugsy Oct 12th 2008 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by NedKelly63 (Post 6867486)
I didn't have you pegged as a capatalist b**tard mate!

Good thinking batman - there's a killing to be made back home if you've got some spare dosh

well people seem to be making money over here, rather than spend 3 years saving why not invest? If we get tenants to pay most of the mortgage, and hopefully prices go up in say 3 years we could make some cash - and it must be safer than buying over here?

Spugsy Oct 12th 2008 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 6867504)
Probably too soon to buy a place in Newcastle...............

I'd advise you to wait until they've built some new properties, such as ones with electric lighting and toilets inside the house..........

More seriously - it's far too early to buy property in the UK. I reckon somewhere around February 18th 2010, just before teatime, will be a better bet for bargains.........

yeah we're looking around then, we both have debts to be paid off first (and a big holiday, heh).

Ahem, aren;t you from Luton?? where everyone talks like lorraine chase??

Blue Cat Oct 12th 2008 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 6867507)
well people seem to be making money over here, rather than spend 3 years saving why not invest? If we get tenants to pay most of the mortgage, and hopefully prices go up in say 3 years we could make some cash - and it must be safer than buying over here?

stuff on the Quayside has dropped dramatically, take a peep on www.rightmove.co.uk

Meow Oct 12th 2008 2:09 pm

Spugsy - why haven't you emailed me about this? ;)

-

Spugsy Oct 12th 2008 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 6867627)
Spugsy - why haven't you emailed me about this? ;)

-

we just decided last neet!

Pm me then please petal.

Bison Oct 12th 2008 4:27 pm

Spugsy - why haven't you emailed me about this?
I emailed yhou about a similar ideas a few months ago and you never responded!!

Anyways, I wanna do the same thing but will be buying in Gloucestershire, want to buy in Cheltenham but may be Gloucester.

Plua I already have my mum and her partner ready to take the house on and pay my mortgage for me :thumbsup:

So any advice, I'm paying some credit cards off and am looking at next year sometime.

Bison

Madam Medusa Oct 12th 2008 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 6867507)

we've decided to buy another place in the uk rather than here...prices are defo in our favour...

MM, xx

Confucius Oct 12th 2008 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by Bison (Post 6867881)
I emailed yhou about a similar ideas a few months ago and you never responded!!

Anyways, I wanna do the same thing but will be buying in Gloucestershire, want to buy in Cheltenham but may be Gloucester.

Plua I already have my mum and her partner ready to take the house on and pay my mortgage for me :thumbsup:

So any advice, I'm paying some credit cards off and am looking at next year sometime.

Bison

Remind us again if she asks someone else...We are compiling performance sheets on posters who deliver on their word...

Confucius Oct 12th 2008 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 6867948)
we've decided to buy another place in the uk rather than here...prices are defo in our favour...

MM, xx

Prices in Beirut are starting to get attractive again...

Madam Medusa Oct 12th 2008 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by Confucius (Post 6867955)
Prices in Beirut are starting to get attractive again...

then get buying...

MM, xx

Confucius Oct 12th 2008 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 6867958)
then get buying...

MM, xx

All in good time, baby...All in good time...

Eva Oct 12th 2008 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 6867948)

MM, xx

I know it won't affect you so much MM but those lending are really tightening up. LTV - 90% last week, today, 75% seems the norm.