British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Getting Married in Dubai (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/getting-married-dubai-651154/)

pauldxb Jan 25th 2010 1:42 pm

Getting Married in Dubai

Has anybody tied the knot over here ? Can you suggest a good shop that does suitable suit hire & when i say suitable i am referring to the climate ie: Linen etc etc...

Seperatly has anyone ever had their furniture / rugs cleaned over here ? If so suggestions needed, thanks

Norm_uk Jan 25th 2010 2:20 pm

Re: Getting Married in Dubai

Originally Posted by pauldxb (Post 8280191)
Has anybody tied the knot over here ? Can you suggest a good shop that does suitable suit hire & when i say suitable i am referring to the climate ie: Linen etc etc...

Seperatly has anyone ever had their furniture / rugs cleaned over here ? If so suggestions needed, thanks

I was married in Dubai back in 2001...I had a suit made for me in Bur Dubai - very reasonably priced and much better than hiring. If I recall correctly the tailors were called Katchins and are on Bank Street and also somewhere in the souk not too far from Dubai Museum.

Can't help with the furniture cleaning - suggest you look for a professional cleaning company.

N.

Meow Jan 26th 2010 4:14 am

Hiring a suit for your wedding??? As Norm says, get one made. It isn't pricey. I suggest Whistle & Flute on Plant St in Satwa.

There are numerous places around town that clean rugs.

-

Blue Cat Jan 26th 2010 4:15 am

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

I was married here in 2002, did the full British thingy, bridesmaids the lot. didn't have the suit problem as husband Scottish and wore a kilt. There is a suit hire shop in Al Diyafah Street next to Haagen Daz shop. You should be able to find something off the peg though, Armani etc do a bit of linen. If you need wedding invitations, I strongly recommend you contact Spusy to get them done. I just love weddings!!

rug - take them to the laundry, furniture, not sure about that

:p

pauldxb Jan 26th 2010 4:40 am

Thanks, i would buy a suit for me but i have the best man etc etc to think about

Blue Cat Jan 26th 2010 4:42 am

Originally Posted by pauldxb (Post 8282453)
Thanks, i would buy a suit for me but i have the best man etc etc to think about

so when is the wedding?

pauldxb Jan 26th 2010 4:42 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 8282419)
CONGRATULATIONS!!!

I was married here in 2002, did the full British thingy, bridesmaids the lot. didn't have the suit problem as husband Scottish and wore a kilt. There is a suit hire shop in Al Diyafah Street next to Haagen Daz shop. You should be able to find something off the peg though, Armani etc do a bit of linen. If you need wedding invitations, I strongly recommend you contact Spusy to get them done. I just love weddings!!

rug - take them to the laundry, furniture, not sure about that

:p

Already had the invites made from a shop in Dubai Mall

pauldxb Jan 26th 2010 4:43 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 8282457)
so when is the wedding?

November... bit concerned it might still be too hot especially as the reception venue is outdoors, fort island at Madinat do you know it ?

Blue Cat Jan 26th 2010 4:46 am

Originally Posted by pauldxb (Post 8282461)
November... bit concerned it might still be too hot especially as the reception venue is outdoors, fort island at Madinat do you know it ?

November is a nice month to get married, it might be a bit hot but generally it is a nice month. Not heard of Fort Island sounds nice though. If your bride to be needs a head dress etc my friend Jacky is a swarovski designer based here who does fabulous bridal stuff. www.jacky-m.com

louise1979 Aug 21st 2010 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by pauldxb (Post 8282461)

Hi Paul, I'm just searching for a suit hire company in Dubai for our wedding, and saw your post - we're also getting married at fort island in Novemeber!!! we're on the 20th, and dont feel very prepared at all - did you find a good suit hire company?

Confucius Aug 21st 2010 7:04 pm

Firstly; congratulations...

Second - I hope you don't mean hair-piece/toupee when you're referring to "rug"...And if you do, does she know???

Spugsy Aug 21st 2010 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by pauldxb (Post 8282453)

it'll still be cheap to get them made fella.