British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Getting Married back in the UK - Help! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/getting-married-back-uk-help-797754/)

StublueKPL May 22nd 2013 3:02 am

Getting Married back in the UK - Help!

Me and the good lady are getting married in Glasgow in September.

Now because of my job, I am still actually classed as UK Resident and don't have residence visa here in Dubai.

However, my fiancée has residence visa (UK Citizen). I have been looking at forms/discussing with registrar etc what we need to fill in for the marriage back in Blighty and I believe that she will require a Certificate of No Impediment from the UAE.

Does anyone have experience of this? Where would we get it?

Any help would really be appreciated.

Thanks.

GB1982 May 22nd 2013 3:54 am

Re: Getting Married back in the UK - Help!

Im also getting Married in September albeit not in Scotland.

We didn't need any Certificate of No impediment, but you do have to go to the UK prior to the wedding to obtain your wedding license, to get this you need to be in the UK for 7 days prior to requesting the wedding license so it may mean a longish break back there for you.

Enjoy you day and good luck !

StublueKPL May 30th 2013 10:58 pm

Thanks GB1982

It seems it is slightly different in Scotland. we don't need to personally be back in the UK before the wedding but we need to hand in our documentation up to 5 weeks beforehand. They MAY require that one of us personally attends but I have already contacted the registrar and this is unlikely.

The registrar is still indicating that we require a certificate of no impediment from the UAE so looks like we will be going through the 1000 Departments in the UAE to try and obtain one.

If anyone knows who to contact specifically for this I would appreciate any help.

Eva May 30th 2013 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by StublueKPL (Post 10733412)
Thanks GB1982

It seems it is slightly different in Scotland. we don't need to personally be back in the UK before the wedding but we need to hand in our documentation up to 5 weeks beforehand. They MAY require that one of us personally attends but I have already contacted the registrar and this is unlikely.

The registrar is still indicating that we require a certificate of no impediment from the UAE so looks like we will be going through the 1000 Departments in the UAE to try and obtain one.

If anyone knows who to contact specifically for this I would appreciate any help.

Congrats on forthcoming Nuptials.
If I am reading this correctly,your future wife needs the certificate?

gottheTshirt May 31st 2013 8:14 am

You are both British citizens so why do you need anything from the UAE ?

StublueKPL Jun 1st 2013 5:13 am

Thank you eva.

Yes it is my future wife we were worried about but I just got another reply today and its all been a misunderstanding! The registrar who previously replied has it all wrong. We don't need any cert after all. Just the usual birth cert, passport copies and that's it.

Thanks for the help anyway as it's very much appreciated.

Eva Jun 1st 2013 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by StublueKPL (Post 10735229)
Thank you eva.

Yes it is my future wife we were worried about but I just got another reply today and its all been a misunderstanding! The registrar who previously replied has it all wrong. We don't need any cert after all. Just the usual birth cert, passport copies and that's it.

Thanks for the help anyway as it's very much appreciated.

Glad all underway for the big event.
Couldn't quite work out why the dilemma except perhaps if you having a Sharia Wedding in Uk.
Anyway,the Art House is lovely and within walking distance of Ibrox should you choose a Saturday.:)
X

StublueKPL Jun 3rd 2013 2:25 am

Originally Posted by Eva (Post 10736108)
Glad all underway for the big event.
Couldn't quite work out why the dilemma except perhaps if you having a Sharia Wedding in Uk.
Anyway,the Art House is lovely and within walking distance of Ibrox should you choose a Saturday.:)
X

I'm actually from Ibrox originally so know the layout of the area pretty well!! House for an Art lover is lovely but was too small for the wedding. We are getting married in Cardonald Church and then the reception at Mar Hall in Bishopton.

AS for walking distance to Ibrox, I have already complained about getting married on a Saturday during the season :p

Blue Cat Jun 3rd 2013 9:59 am

Originally Posted by StublueKPL (Post 10737766)
I'm actually from Ibrox originally so know the layout of the area pretty well!! House for an Art lover is lovely but was too small for the wedding. We are getting married in Cardonald Church and then the reception at Mar Hall in Bishopton.

AS for walking distance to Ibrox, I have already complained about getting married on a Saturday during the season :p

congratulations Stu! :)

StublueKPL Jun 5th 2013 5:21 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 10738253)
congratulations Stu! :)

thank you BC!

the_red_sheep Jun 5th 2013 6:22 am

Originally Posted by StublueKPL (Post 10737766)

It's only a 2nd division game you'd be missing so barely even football really ;)

All the best for when the big day comes around.

Chris_m Jun 5th 2013 8:27 am

Congrats Stu,

All the best Chris & Jo ;)

StublueKPL Jun 9th 2013 3:32 am

Originally Posted by the_red_sheep (Post 10741500)
It's only a 2nd division game you'd be missing so barely even football really ;)

All the best for when the big day comes around.

:p

Thanks!

StublueKPL Jun 9th 2013 3:34 am

Originally Posted by Chris_m (Post 10741630)
Congrats Stu,

All the best Chris & Jo ;)

Thanks!!!!