British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Getting Hitched (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/getting-hitched-779807/)

Bahtatboy Dec 6th 2012 10:47 am

Getting Hitched

Ok, what was the precursor to tying the knot?

Millsyisland Dec 6th 2012 10:49 am

Re: Getting Hitched

Finding someone willing to agree?

al dente Dec 6th 2012 10:54 am

It was a surprise and I never said yes. However, it was taken that i had agreed as soon as we started to plan the party, I mean wedding.

britexpat76 Dec 6th 2012 11:20 am

I got blind drunk and awoke in the morning with the by then Fiancee having told her parents and friends..............

To this day I don't remember that night, probably why the marriage only lasted a little bit longer than the hangover...........

mentalist Dec 6th 2012 11:32 am

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10419184)
I got blind drunk and awoke in the morning with the by then Fiancee having told her parents and friends..............

To this day I don't remember that night, probably why the marriage only lasted a little bit longer than the hangover...........

I popped the question but it was not exactly out of the blue. No real poll category for that one.:confused:

Meow Dec 6th 2012 12:26 pm

We're not all blokes on here Bahtatboy.

We had agreed that we'd get married and then a while later he proprosed formally over dinner one evening.

Alexa Dec 6th 2012 12:40 pm

He put an engagement ring on my finger on Valentine's day while I was cooking dinner ...we have been married 10 years now:)

Meow Dec 6th 2012 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by Alexa (Post 10419359)
He put an engagement ring on my finger on Valentine's day while I was cooking dinner ...we have been married 10 years now:)

What were you cooking? I bet you remember and I like details :)

Bahtatboy Dec 6th 2012 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10419330)
We're not all blokes on here Bahtatboy.

We had agreed that we'd get married and then a while later he proprosed formally over dinner one evening.

Yeah, poorly worded options. Nevertheless, doesn't take too much imagination...

Alexa Dec 6th 2012 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10419364)
What were you cooking? I bet you remember and I like details :)

Pasta. See, there was nothing overly romantic about this. I don't really do romance. I had just come back from a trip home,went straight to his house and started making dinner as we were hungry. Then he got the ring out, put it on my finger and grinned...I grinned back, and that was that.
I then went to borrow a dress from my friend and we booked a hotel in dubai and got married there. Voila!
He is a good man, it does not matter to me where and how he proposes. What matters is that he treats me right. And that he does!

The Dean Dec 7th 2012 2:37 am

Originally Posted by Alexa (Post 10419378)
Pasta. See, there was nothing overly romantic about this. I don't really do romance. I had just come back from a trip home,went straight to his house and started making dinner as we were hungry. Then he got the ring out, put it on my finger and grinned...I grinned back, and that was that.
I then went to borrow a dress from my friend and we booked a hotel in dubai and got married there. Voila!
He is a good man, it does not matter to me where and how he proposes. What matters is that he treats me right. And that he does!

Nonsense.............. he just saw your avatar and got aroused...........

The Dean Dec 7th 2012 2:38 am

And as for the poll itself..........

Would I be unique if I say - quite truthfully - that I can't remember?

TheShed Dec 7th 2012 3:21 am

I met Mrs Shed at my sisters 16th birthday party (Friday), took her out on the Saturday and proposed. She accepted and we just celebrated our 28th Anniversary.

We are quite proud of our achievement in this day and age.

Equestra Dec 7th 2012 9:59 am

He got down on one knee and popped the question outside Valvoline that's opposite Gold & Diamond Park, after buying me a rock that Liz Taylor would have been proud of :thumbup:

It was by mutual agreement, it was never a case of 'shall' we get married but 'when'...that lasted 4 yrs until we moved here.

OriginalSunshine Dec 7th 2012 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 10419215)
I popped the question but it was not exactly out of the blue. No real poll category for that one.:confused:

Same here. We discussed, we bought the ring (I have tiny fingers, so it's kind of important - and lucky for him a big rock looks ridiculous on me), we went to Paris.

The timing of when he got down on one knee & proposed was a surprise - and very sweet it was too :D