Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Getting a bank loan if you're not on the list....

Getting a bank loan if you're not on the list....

Old May 7th 2013, 6:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting a bank loan if you're not on the list....

Originally Posted by Kix
Ask your UK bank for a full and final settlement (once you've saved up approximately 50-67% of the debt, you might be surprised when they accept.
And destroy your credit rating in the meantime. It's only 5 grand.

If he can pay a uae loan off in 6months then he can pay a credit card off. No bank here will want to put out a 6month loan and even if they did the upfront fees would not make it worth his while.
Old May 7th 2013, 6:49 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Millhouse
And destroy your credit rating in the meantime. It's only 5 grand.

If he can pay a uae loan off in 6months then he can pay a credit card off. No bank here will want to put out a 6month loan and even if they did the upfront fees would not make it worth his while.
Nope, it doesn't affect your credit rating at all.
Old May 7th 2013, 6:53 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kix
Basically call them, tell them you've moved abroad and want a full and final settlement figure for a one off payment to cancel your credit card.

Say you owe them £5,000, tell them you'll pay £2,500 for full and final (ie fully cleared), and you'll pay it in a given time, within a week for example.

The bank is charging interest on interest, if you've had it a while then they've made a shed load of cash off you.

The bank will come back with a counter offer, negotiate but don't pay more than 2/3rds of the full amount, ie, around £3,300.

As this is an agreed payment it wont affect your credit rating (or your mam's) but you will get your card cancelled.

Job sorted.
Blimey that sounds pretty good.

RAK bank will give me a loan at 12%, I'm going to do that and clear my UK debts, makes life a lot easier and then get an HSBC credit card over here in case I need one.
Old May 7th 2013, 6:58 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
if you can afford to pay a loan here then you can afford to bang some cash off it in the UK, think straight mate
I just want it sorted, worse case scenario I lose my job I still have freelance coming in anyway.
Old May 7th 2013, 7:04 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Originally Posted by Spugsy
Blimey that sounds pretty good.

RAK bank will give me a loan at 12%, I'm going to do that and clear my UK debts, makes life a lot easier and then get an HSBC credit card over here in case I need one.
Even if you have the cash, still negotiate the final payment, banks take the pi$$ big time, wherever you are in the world.
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

I just want it sorted, worse case scenario I lose my job I still have freelance coming in anyway.
I know and it is nagging in your head all the time, so get it sorted out. You can always change your address so your Mam doesn't get the mail?
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

This is such a shitty plan.

Pay the loan off - skip sandance this weekend and you have 300 quid towards it.

Last edited by Millhouse; May 7th 2013 at 7:26 am.
Old May 7th 2013, 7:20 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you've been paying £100 a month in interest for the last five years that's £6,000 in interest payments, or more than the total value of the debt.

Ye gods. Did you not do the maths earlier? You paid the bank £6,000 for the privilege of having a £5,000 credit card balance.

And you still spent money on fancy holidays, watches, clothes and I think even a camera.

I've never carried over a credit card balance - ever. It's just throwing money down the drain. I hope you learn from this.
Old May 7th 2013, 7:23 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Originally Posted by Ethos83
If you've been paying £100 a month in interest for the last five years that's £6,000 in interest payments, or more than the total value of the debt.

Ye gods. Did you not do the maths earlier? You paid the bank £6,000 for the privilege of having a £5,000 credit card balance.

And you still spent money on fancy holidays, watches, clothes and I think even a camera.

I've never carried over a credit card balance - ever. It's just throwing money down the drain. I hope you learn from this.
How sanctimonious are you?

Give the guy a break, he asked for help and ideas, not some holier than thou sermon.

Jeez, what is it with certain people, so far up their own arses they're drowning in it.
Old May 7th 2013, 7:24 am
why ayeeeee man!

Originally Posted by Kix
How sanctimonious are you?

Give the guy a break, he asked for help and ideas, not some holier than thou sermon.

Jeez, what is it with certain people, so far up their own arses they're drowning in it.
Heh, thanks for that but to be fair Ethos is right - I piss money all over the place and need to reign it in.
Old May 7th 2013, 7:26 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Heh, thanks for that but to be fair Ethos is right - I piss money all over the place and need to reign it in.
you grow old mate but you now you need to grow up, said from the heart you understand.
Old May 7th 2013, 7:30 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I do too mate....although I am getting better.

It's fun though eh?
Old May 7th 2013, 7:40 am
why ayeeeee man!

Originally Posted by Scamp
I do too mate....although I am getting better.

It's fun though eh?
Last five years have been *****ing amazing mate - had the best holidays of all time.
Old May 7th 2013, 7:43 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Last five years have been *****ing amazing mate - had the best holidays of all time.
Yeah, so **** it, 5/6 months of boring Spugsy = debt free.

It's worth doing, then you can save for a bit to go somewhere else mental.
Old May 7th 2013, 7:43 am
why ayeeeee man!

Originally Posted by Scamp
Yeah, so **** it, 5/6 months of boring Spugsy = debt free.

It's worth doing, then you can save for a bit to go somewhere else mental.
This is very true.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.