British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   George & Alicia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/george-alicia-576284/)

Chris79 Dec 1st 2008 10:22 pm

George & Alicia

Well.....
I've never been to such a badly organised concert. The parking was a **** up, the bar (YES, you could drink) was sooo small. Took me 60mins+ to get served - missed all of Alicia. She sounded good from what I could hear and what little bit I could see from the TV's
George was good BUT why the **** did he need a 30min break mid way through - I initially thought it was for the firework display at midnight BUT no bangs or flashes.

When are the people over here who organise concerts sort themselves out and get the basics sorted? It's ok having fancy lights and music systems but when the punters can't get on the ground due to parking and ticket access and when they do get access they spend ages trying to get a drink (be it alcohol or soft) it's crap.

commander Dec 2nd 2008 1:30 am

Re: George & Alicia

Sorry but gotta laugh. You never thought it would be well organised did you??

Give it time, the penny will drop...

They couldn't give the tickets away..

Just wait till the F1 comes to town

twinkle-star Dec 2nd 2008 4:13 am

Originally Posted by Chris79 (Post 7027403)
Well.....
I've never been to such a badly organised concert. The parking was a **** up, the bar (YES, you could drink) was sooo small. Took me 60mins+ to get served - missed all of Alicia. She sounded good from what I could hear and what little bit I could see from the TV's
George was good BUT why the **** did he need a 30min break mid way through - I initially thought it was for the firework display at midnight BUT no bangs or flashes.

When are the people over here who organise concerts sort themselves out and get the basics sorted? It's ok having fancy lights and music systems but when the punters can't get on the ground due to parking and ticket access and when they do get access they spend ages trying to get a drink (be it alcohol or soft) it's crap.

Trust you to spend all that money on a ticket and then miss half the concert propping up the bar :rofl::rofl::rofl:

weescot Dec 2nd 2008 5:09 am

You cynical lot!!! Give the organisers a break - it was the first concert in that Stadium and the biggest concert so far held in the UAE. Of course it wasn't going to be perfect....

Spugsy Dec 2nd 2008 5:14 am

Well.....

from now on I'm going to take myself a bottle of jack with me to gigs, its the only way to make sure you get a drink. Serious.

commander Dec 2nd 2008 5:17 am

Originally Posted by weescot (Post 7028244)
You cynical lot!!! Give the organisers a break - it was the first concert in that Stadium and the biggest concert so far held in the UAE. Of course it wasn't going to be perfect....

Bollox...they charge hollywood prices, they should deliver hollywood style.

Its this subservient 'ach well, the poor souls cant get it right but bless them they are trying' pish that lets them get away with it. I could accept it if it was 50 dibdabs for a ticket.

And its the same old issues that occur at EVERY event.

Parking and booze

scratch the surface people, its a 3rd world country we live in

Blue Cat Dec 2nd 2008 5:17 am

Well.....

so what were the fireworks like then?

The Dean Dec 2nd 2008 5:39 am

I second the Commander's reply.

I wasn't there so cannot comment on the concert itself, but they should never put big names into an 'unproven' venue.

Apart from the organisation, was GM as crap as I suspected he would be?

weescot Dec 2nd 2008 5:39 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 7028267)
Bollox...they charge hollywood prices, they should deliver hollywood style.

Its this subservient 'ach well, the poor souls cant get it right but bless them they are trying' pish that lets them get away with it. I could accept it if it was 50 dibdabs for a ticket.

And its the same old issues that occur at EVERY event.

Parking and booze

scratch the surface people, its a 3rd world country we live in

Of course it is a third world country - FACT. so why expect 1st world standards, and be pay or even accept free tickets when poor organisation is a proven given. I dont feel sorry for the "souls" - I just know what to expect.

And we don't always get it right back home either - Millenium Dome opening, Terminal 5 opening etc.

The Dean Dec 2nd 2008 5:40 am

.......... and what makes you think it was the biggest concert so far held in the UAE??

Robbie Williams?? Bryan Adams??

weescot Dec 2nd 2008 5:41 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 7028302)
.......... and what makes you think it was the biggest concert so far held in the UAE??

Robbie Williams?? Bryan Adams??

It was in the papers, so it must be true....

Blue Cat Dec 2nd 2008 5:42 am

Originally Posted by weescot (Post 7028304)
It was in the papers, so it must be true....

only stuff that has coloured photos is true :)

MissDemeanor Dec 2nd 2008 8:10 am

Oh stop moaning!!

That concert was absolutely brilliant.Those light screens were amazing.I would definately see it again.:thumbsup:

al dente Dec 2nd 2008 8:10 am

Poor you chris. You sound like you had the same sort of experience I had at kylie.

However, we had the opposite one last night. Left home after dinner with mates at 8.20. Drove down 30th, took the Zayed Sports City exit and turned into the car park, and were in the stadium by 8.40.

10 minutes later we had 9 beers and 4 waters and were sitting down at the front.

AK has a fantastic voice and is agreed to be hot. GM looked a little porky and his voice wasn't strong but we LOVED it. COuld have been because we managed to get a round of beer within 5 minutes of thinking it. Which also means this is why it's taken me this long to get to the computer. I feel dreadful today. Oh and OH has just told me he didn't enjoy GM. ANd i'd forgotten about the 30 minute break!

commander Dec 2nd 2008 8:17 am

gotta comment that my wife just told me that she got served no bother?:confused::confused: