British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Geordies Top Poll Of Most Confusing Accents (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/geordies-top-poll-most-confusing-accents-679684/)

coffindodger Aug 4th 2010 5:56 am

Geordies Top Poll Of Most Confusing Accents

Geordies are the most difficult people to understand, followed by Scousers, according to a new poll.
The University of Bristol has come up with a list of the most confusing accents to understand.

Researchers carried out a poll of 6,000 people as part of their Confused Nation report.

The report looks at how Britons are bamboozled by the modern world - from mobile phone tarriffs to the tax system and accents.

Participants in the online poll were asked to tick which accents they felt were the most difficult to understand.

Geordies came first, with 82% of people saying they found the accent hard to comprehend.

More than eight out of 10 people found the Scouse accent confusing while 66% of respondents found Brummies confusing and 60% Cockneys

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-...f_Bristol_Poll

thecentennial Aug 4th 2010 9:29 am

Re: Geordies Top Poll Of Most Confusing Accents

Originally Posted by coffindodger (Post 8751367)
Geordies are the most difficult people to understand, followed by Scousers, according to a new poll.
The University of Bristol has come up with a list of the most confusing accents to understand.

Researchers carried out a poll of 6,000 people as part of their Confused Nation report.

The report looks at how Britons are bamboozled by the modern world - from mobile phone tarriffs to the tax system and accents.

Participants in the online poll were asked to tick which accents they felt were the most difficult to understand.

Geordies came first, with 82% of people saying they found the accent hard to comprehend.

More than eight out of 10 people found the Scouse accent confusing while 66% of respondents found Brummies confusing and 60% Cockneys

Obviously didnt include Glasweigans - every tried to understand Kenny Dalgliesh?

Sandboy Aug 4th 2010 3:51 pm

bollocks

weescot Aug 4th 2010 4:18 pm

Let the board listen and decide...

kittycat1 Aug 4th 2010 4:25 pm

my exs dad was glaswegian, could only ever understand him when he was drunk and slurred, luckily for me that was quite a lot! I find the irish hard to understand but who cares they sound sexy! I like most northern accents.

Spugsy Aug 4th 2010 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by coffindodger (Post 8751367)

maybe so, but in general people love the accents.

As for scouse.....eeeurgh.

SDDep Aug 4th 2010 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 8752668)
my exs dad was glaswegian, could only ever understand him when he was drunk and slurred, luckily for me that was quite a lot! I find the irish hard to understand but who cares they sound sexy! I like most northern accents.

Oh dear...you think the Irish sound sexy...did they let you out on day release from the asylum again??

My missus catches about every tenth word when the Irish side of the family visits...she nods and pretends she understands them..!

As for the Geordies...at least they can enjoy their team back in the premiership...this season anyway...:)

kittycat1 Aug 5th 2010 3:53 am

yeah I love the irish accent, i worked in Dublin quite a lot and had a beau there, he was lush, ok I couldn't understand everything he said but it sounded sexy as hell whatever he was saying! lol I'd quite happily move to Dublin, something about the irish charm that is very attractive!
They also seem to have a cheeky twinkle in their eye that I'm a sucker for :D

The scottish accent (soft) is also fab, I also had a beau there who used to call me up late at night and read to me, was heavenly. Very Sean Connery :D

To be fair there aren't many accents i like- The french as well- ohlala

Inselaffen Aug 5th 2010 5:26 am

which as a Glaswegian was probably 95pct of the time

kittycat1 Aug 5th 2010 5:29 am

lol yep thats about right- although he could reallly take his drink! so I could only have a conversation with him after he'd drunk about 10 pints and was slowed and slurred, meant for some very interesting conversations!

Kelli28 Aug 5th 2010 5:35 am

I agree the Glaswegians are very difficult to understand but I also love the Irish accent :wub:

I'm a Geordie and I really have to try with how I talk here, otherwise I'm just met with lots of smiles and nods. :lol:

kittycat1 Aug 5th 2010 5:51 am

otherwise I'm just met with lots of smiles and nods.
To be fair, we all get that and I speak the queens english ( well with an essex twang!).

lionheart Aug 5th 2010 6:22 am

Why is it that American girls (on TV shows anyway) find the English accent so attractive? Presumably they are referring to the Hugh Grant lingo. How can 61% of students find the Somerset accent confusing? Ooo errrh? So anyone going to the Annual Beer Festival at Irish Village this weekend?

Sandboy Aug 5th 2010 8:12 am

my lads at work tell me they find me much easier to understand than the previous ( poncey southern ) managers

mind, I'm a git posh geordie from South of the water

Grace O Malley Aug 5th 2010 8:27 am

Originally Posted by Sandboy (Post 8754396)
my lads at work tell me they find me much easier to understand than the previous ( poncey southern ) managers

mind, I'm a git posh geordie from South of the water

oh dear, the north/south divide, I always find it very silly