Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Geordies Top Poll Of Most Confusing Accents

Geordies Top Poll Of Most Confusing Accents

Old Aug 4th 2010, 5:56 am
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Geordies Top Poll Of Most Confusing Accents

Geordies are the most difficult people to understand, followed by Scousers, according to a new poll.
The University of Bristol has come up with a list of the most confusing accents to understand.

Researchers carried out a poll of 6,000 people as part of their Confused Nation report.

The report looks at how Britons are bamboozled by the modern world - from mobile phone tarriffs to the tax system and accents.

Participants in the online poll were asked to tick which accents they felt were the most difficult to understand.

Geordies came first, with 82% of people saying they found the accent hard to comprehend.

More than eight out of 10 people found the Scouse accent confusing while 66% of respondents found Brummies confusing and 60% Cockneys

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-...f_Bristol_Poll
Old Aug 4th 2010, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

thecentennial is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Geordies Top Poll Of Most Confusing Accents

Originally Posted by coffindodger
Geordies are the most difficult people to understand, followed by Scousers, according to a new poll.
The University of Bristol has come up with a list of the most confusing accents to understand.

Researchers carried out a poll of 6,000 people as part of their Confused Nation report.

The report looks at how Britons are bamboozled by the modern world - from mobile phone tarriffs to the tax system and accents.

Participants in the online poll were asked to tick which accents they felt were the most difficult to understand.

Geordies came first, with 82% of people saying they found the accent hard to comprehend.

More than eight out of 10 people found the Scouse accent confusing while 66% of respondents found Brummies confusing and 60% Cockneys

Obviously didnt include Glasweigans - every tried to understand Kenny Dalgliesh?
Old Aug 4th 2010, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

bollocks
Old Aug 4th 2010, 4:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: The city of many visions - and fast performance cars
weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute

Let the board listen and decide...

Last edited by weescot; Aug 4th 2010 at 4:19 pm. Reason: Still working out to embed youtube...
Old Aug 4th 2010, 4:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

my exs dad was glaswegian, could only ever understand him when he was drunk and slurred, luckily for me that was quite a lot! I find the irish hard to understand but who cares they sound sexy! I like most northern accents.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 8:01 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coffindodger

maybe so, but in general people love the accents.

As for scouse.....eeeurgh.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 8:21 pm
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
my exs dad was glaswegian, could only ever understand him when he was drunk and slurred, luckily for me that was quite a lot! I find the irish hard to understand but who cares they sound sexy! I like most northern accents.

Oh dear...you think the Irish sound sexy...did they let you out on day release from the asylum again??

My missus catches about every tenth word when the Irish side of the family visits...she nods and pretends she understands them..!

As for the Geordies...at least they can enjoy their team back in the premiership...this season anyway...
Old Aug 5th 2010, 3:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

yeah I love the irish accent, i worked in Dublin quite a lot and had a beau there, he was lush, ok I couldn't understand everything he said but it sounded sexy as hell whatever he was saying! lol I'd quite happily move to Dublin, something about the irish charm that is very attractive!
They also seem to have a cheeky twinkle in their eye that I'm a sucker for

The scottish accent (soft) is also fab, I also had a beau there who used to call me up late at night and read to me, was heavenly. Very Sean Connery

To be fair there aren't many accents i like- The french as well- ohlala
Old Aug 5th 2010, 5:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

which as a Glaswegian was probably 95pct of the time
Old Aug 5th 2010, 5:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lol yep thats about right- although he could reallly take his drink! so I could only have a conversation with him after he'd drunk about 10 pints and was slowed and slurred, meant for some very interesting conversations!
Old Aug 5th 2010, 5:35 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree the Glaswegians are very difficult to understand but I also love the Irish accent

I'm a Geordie and I really have to try with how I talk here, otherwise I'm just met with lots of smiles and nods.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 5:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

otherwise I'm just met with lots of smiles and nods.
To be fair, we all get that and I speak the queens english ( well with an essex twang!).
Old Aug 5th 2010, 6:22 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Why is it that American girls (on TV shows anyway) find the English accent so attractive? Presumably they are referring to the Hugh Grant lingo. How can 61% of students find the Somerset accent confusing? Ooo errrh? So anyone going to the Annual Beer Festival at Irish Village this weekend?
Old Aug 5th 2010, 8:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

my lads at work tell me they find me much easier to understand than the previous ( poncey southern ) managers

mind, I'm a git posh geordie from South of the water
Old Aug 5th 2010, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sandboy
my lads at work tell me they find me much easier to understand than the previous ( poncey southern ) managers

mind, I'm a git posh geordie from South of the water
oh dear, the north/south divide, I always find it very silly

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.