Generation

Old Mar 1st 2018, 6:50 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Generation

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing
Because that's the term she users. Don't shoot the messenger.
She's using the term to deride people who overuse the term.
Old Mar 1st 2018, 6:53 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing
Because that's the term she users. Don't shoot the messenger.
You love it though, anything with a soundbite saying snowflake or liberal or lefty or whatever. Peddling crap isn't passing on a message is it.
Old Mar 1st 2018, 6:55 am
Forum Regular

Arnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to behold

I work in an industry that seems to think it’s important and I despise it. Every day I hear, “millennials want this…” “Gen Y think that…” and want to scream “So, millions of people globally have the same thoughts, opinions, views, feelings, hopes, emotions and experiences simple because they share an age bracket?”

These categorizations are no more than business buzzwords, there to make thick people sound smart.
Old Mar 1st 2018, 6:56 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a Baby Boomer. The generation before me definitely had it far tougher than we did. Subsequent generations have generally had it much easier, except for housing and job security (the former of which must be given a very significant weighting in any assessment). Who'd a thought thirty year ago we'd all be sittin' here drinking Chateau de Chassilier?
Old Mar 1st 2018, 6:58 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Arnold S
“So, millions of people globally have the same thoughts, opinions, views, feelings, hopes, emotions and experiences simple because they share an age bracket?”

These categorizations are no more than business buzzwords, there to make thick people sound smart.
I disagree. The generational differences are very real. Tastes, fashion, mindsets, expectations, ideology, all change from generation to generation. Any business that doesn't tune in to changes in consumer demand, which always happens from generation to generation, risks going the way of the dodo bird.
Old Mar 1st 2018, 6:58 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
You love it though, anything with a soundbite saying snowflake or liberal or lefty or whatever. Peddling crap isn't passing on a message is it.
Oh I don't know, I think politicians have been doing it for years. Say it plenty of times and the populace will believe it's true. Just what CNN/BBC etc. do really.
Old Mar 1st 2018, 7:01 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Who'd a thought thirty year ago we'd all be sittin' here drinking Chateau de Chassilier?
Indeed. And if you tell kids these days, they don't believe you!

It's a strange phenomenon. Facebook is full of memes about how life was better in t'old days when we lived in a cardboard box in t'middle of t'road and had a stick and a hoop to play with. Talking of snowflakes, the snow ones are out now. This isn't snow! In 1976 we had 63ft of snow and still walked to school in our shorts to get beaten by teacher! We're better than you soft bastards!
Old Mar 1st 2018, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

Arnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
I disagree. The generational differences are very real. Tastes, fashion, mindsets, expectations, ideology, all change from generation to generation. Any business that doesn't tune in to changes in consumer demand, which always happens from generation to generation, risks going the way of the dodo bird.
Generational experiences are different, my point is they are far from the same within these groupings. A "millennial" on a deprived estate is going to have a different outlook from a middle class kid in the 'shires, who are both going to be different from a kid inheriting a sizeable trust.

Beyond concencous taking and population measuring it's an irrelevant term. Any business that relies on shit 5 minute videos from self proclaimed experts on LinkedIn will go bust a lot quicker than one doing proper, qualitative research.
Old Mar 1st 2018, 7:17 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

I work in an industry that seems to think it’s important and I despise it. Every day I hear, “millennials want this…” “Gen Y think that…” and want to scream “So, millions of people globally have the same thoughts, opinions, views, feelings, hopes, emotions and experiences simple because they share an age bracket?”

I think they can be applied over the western world in reasonably broad brush strokes. It's hard to argue against generations being greatly moulded, influenced by the events and norms of their time. I suspect people were more homogeneous in their thinking years ago but nowadays competing sources of influence dilutes down one consistent message.
Old Mar 1st 2018, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

proper, qualitative research.
Do you know how much money is spent by corporations on the proper, qualitative research? Huge sums every year. It's an essential component of R&D at most firms.

There are certainly differences within generations but I still stand by the observation that there are broad sets of tastes and values and ideologies that mark the generation from other generations. The council estate kid is still going to share much in common with the middle class kid from the shires. Technology, for example.
Old Mar 1st 2018, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

Do you know how much money is spent by corporations on the proper, qualitative research? Huge sums every year. It's an essential component of R&D at most firms.
I have a rough idea.

BTW - https://vimeo.com/231557692
Old Mar 1st 2018, 8:04 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
You sure moan like a millennial.
That wasn't even a moan!

And to be fair Mr Scamp, you kinda like the pot calling the kettle black! You love a good moan!

******g millenials!
Old Mar 1st 2018, 8:13 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
I'm a Baby Boomer. The generation before me definitely had it far tougher than we did. Subsequent generations have generally had it much easier, except for housing and job security (the former of which must be given a very significant weighting in any assessment). Who'd a thought thirty year ago we'd all be sittin' here drinking Chateau de Chassilier?

Life's much easier without a house or a secure job.
Old Mar 4th 2018, 4:18 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jam25mack
That wasn't even a moan!

And to be fair Mr Scamp, you kinda like the pot calling the kettle black! You love a good moan!
Moaning is one of the skills on my CV.
Old Mar 4th 2018, 7:47 am
Account Closed

Ironic you should say this.

The generational divide topic came up over a few beers this past weekend and a mate summarised it succinctly enough.

If you know exactly what cis-gender means, you are a Millennial from generation Y / Z whatever.

If you've vaguely heard of the term from seeing it mentioned in articles and vaguely know it has something to do with sexuality but still don't know what it really means (and can't be bothered to find out), you're Generation X.

If you've never heard of it or only saw it mentioned somewhere and probably think it has something to do with some kind of high tech security technology, you're a baby boomer.

I fall into the second category so it's no surprise I'm Gen X.
Never heard of it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.