British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   gear box (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/gear-box-456827/)

Blue Cat Jun 8th 2007 2:41 pm

gear box

right I have got a pajero as you all know, there is a second gear box thingy that has four different gears. Can someone explain them to me. There is 4LHD, 4LLD, 4L, 2L (I think!!). Don't want to admit to DH that I don't know what they are for :lol:

Fairydust Jun 8th 2007 2:42 pm

Re: gear box

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 4889859)
right I have got a pajero as you all know, there is a second gear box thingy that has four different gears. Can someone explain them to me. There is 4LHD, 4LLD, 4L, 2L (I think!!). Don't want to admit to DH that I don't know what they are for :lol:

Well I've had mine 4 years and have never moved it :lol:

In fact I think I have some manual gears too = no idea what you would want to use them for

benzonar Jun 8th 2007 2:43 pm

They are probably for different drive modes i.e. High ratio, low ratio, standard 4wd and standard 2wd.

But I could be wrong.

Blue Cat Jun 8th 2007 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by benzonar (Post 4889864)
They are probably for different drive modes i.e. High ratio, low ratio, standard 4wd and standard 2wd.

But I could be wrong.

what does high ratio and low ratio mean????? I keep it in standard two wheel drive all the time, then change to 4wd when I am trying to get into my apartment!!!!

twinkle-star Jun 8th 2007 2:50 pm

:unsure:

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 4889874)
what does high ratio and low ratio mean????? I keep it in standard two wheel drive all the time, then change to 4wd when I am trying to get into my apartment!!!!

I can ask MR Star when he comes back to explain it to me properly sunday and then go through it with you on monday if you like??

I am taking his truck out for a spin tomorrow ..so please stay indoor!! ...EVERYONE!:ohmy:

Blue Cat Jun 8th 2007 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by twinkle-star (Post 4889899)
:unsure:

I can ask MR Star when he comes back to explain it to me properly sunday and then go through it with you on monday if you like??

I am taking his truck out for a spin tomorrow ..so please stay indoor!! ...EVERYONE!:ohmy:

go on then! should be interesting to hear your interpretation of it :rofl:

twinkle-star Jun 8th 2007 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 4889918)
go on then! should be interesting to hear your interpretation of it :rofl:

I am sure i can put my inteligent head on just for you ...but don't tell anyone!:frown:

Miss Eck Jun 8th 2007 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 4889859)

The 4 ones are for different types of terrain i.e sandy, rough wet roads. I have a sticker on my door which came as standard when I purchased it and it tells me what they are for. I use the 4HLC (I think that is what it is) or driving on the beach, otherwise it is always in 2.

Blue Cat Jun 8th 2007 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by Miss Eck (Post 4889931)
The 4 ones are for different types of terrain i.e sandy, rough wet roads. I have a sticker on my door which came as standard when I purchased it and it tells me what they are for. I use the 4HLC (I think that is what it is) or driving on the beach, otherwise it is always in 2.

right I shall look for my sticker!!!

twinkle-star Jun 8th 2007 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by Miss Eck (Post 4889931)

Whooooooooooooooooooooooooooosh!:confused:

Miss Eck Jun 8th 2007 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 4889944)
right I shall look for my sticker!!!

now that sounds like somethink Twinkle would say!

You could really bore your hubby and read this :lol:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_wheel_drive

Miss Eck Jun 8th 2007 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by twinkle-star (Post 4889946)
Whooooooooooooooooooooooooooosh!:confused:

don't worry - that is a natural reaction for a blonde :rofl:

benzonar Jun 8th 2007 3:01 pm

You are pretty much spot on.

A high gear ratio would be used for hilly terrain where having lots of torque would be useful.

Low gear ratio would be good for driving on ice, wet mud etc.

Blue Cat Jun 8th 2007 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by benzonar (Post 4889957)

A high gear ratio would be used for hilly terrain where having lots of torque would be useful.

right but what is torque??

twinkle-star Jun 8th 2007 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by benzonar (Post 4889957)

I shall ask Mr Star and have a fiddle with him on sunday ;)

Will take the truck out for a spin tomorrow.....:ohmy: