Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

GBP/AED rate: who is sending money home now?

GBP/AED rate: who is sending money home now?

Old Feb 23rd 2013, 2:48 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: GBP/AED rate: who is sending money home now?

I've been sending money back every month, to capture the rolls of the exchange rate. When the rate is "good" like it is now, I'll send back a bit extra.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 6:49 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to all

what does everyone use to send money back?
Old Feb 24th 2013, 7:35 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manchester_QS
what does everyone use to send money back?
Carrier pigeons.

It varies. My client use a specific exchange service that usually offers better rates than the retail banks, so let me know if you want the info.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 8:12 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

I could use an envelope this month............
Old Feb 24th 2013, 9:52 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

I tried using the service that Meow offered to connect me to (after I had asked her, she didn't push it on me). To be frank, I was disappointed at how slow in responding to emails & phone calls the service was, never calling back when they said they would, and never fully explaining how I could transfer from OMR to UK, without involving an AED transfer.

For the sake of 0.01% difference between their rates and my bank (HSBC Premier) I use the bank to transfer directly, and "free", to my GBP bank account with HSBC here. Then when I need cash in the UK, I transfer what I need to my UK HSBC account from here to UK, all in GBP and charge free.

Extra info: 2 years ago during the "Spring" I decided we needed a quick way to empty our accounts if necessary. Direct online transfers is one relatively safe way if it all goes bottoms up.

Last edited by OriginalSunshine; Feb 24th 2013 at 9:54 am. Reason: extra info
Old Feb 24th 2013, 9:59 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
I tried using the service that Meow offered to connect me to (after I had asked her, she didn't push it on me). To be frank, I was disappointed at how slow in responding to emails & phone calls the service was, never calling back when they said they would, and never fully explaining how I could transfer from OMR to UK, without involving an AED transfer.

For the sake of 0.01% difference between their rates and my bank (HSBC Premier) I use the bank to transfer directly, and "free", to my GBP bank account with HSBC here. Then when I need cash in the UK, I transfer what I need to my UK HSBC account from here to UK, all in GBP and charge free.

Extra info: 2 years ago during the "Spring" I decided we needed a quick way to empty our accounts if necessary. Direct online transfers is one relatively safe way if it all goes bottoms up.
That's disappointing to hear as it's usually very quick. Had known I'd have done something about it.

Their rates are best for large transfers.

I've PM'd you.

Last edited by Meow; Feb 24th 2013 at 10:04 am.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

I was also wondering whether to transfer some cash in to UKP, but with no immediate plans to go back I can't quite work up the enthusiasm to do so.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 11:34 am

Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to say my experience was pretty good, even when I blasted them for what I thought was their mistake but was - inevitably - that of my bank here. Their UK person even answered an email on Xmas day (not that I was demanding that).
Old Feb 24th 2013, 11:49 am
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by csdf
I was also wondering whether to transfer some cash in to UKP, but with no immediate plans to go back I can't quite work up the enthusiasm to do so.
Consider the currency you want your money in over the long term. If the answer is Sterling, then it's probably worth transferring some now.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 4:55 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

I tried using the service that Meow offered to connect me to (after I had asked her, she didn't push it on me).
Ditto and they've been excellent, in particular the delicious (and efficient) sounding lady who calls me almost immediately after I hit the email send button requesting a transfer (calls are taped).
Old Feb 24th 2013, 5:17 pm
...---...

Fossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Consider the currency you want your money in over the long term. If the answer is Sterling, then it's probably worth transferring some now.
Really? Personally I believe all the indicators are pointing to a decline in cable Very little to suggest any upside from here.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 1:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fossildog
Really? Personally I believe all the indicators are pointing to a decline in cable Very little to suggest any upside from here.
Be careful..........
Old Feb 25th 2013, 6:20 am

Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mikewot
Ditto and they've been excellent, in particular the delicious (and efficient) sounding lady who calls me almost immediately after I hit the email send button requesting a transfer (calls are taped).
I guess she's the same one who replied to my email at Xmas! And if you've got her number in your phone and you're on Whats App you can see her picture! Sorry to sound like a perv - oh the irony...
Old Feb 25th 2013, 6:39 am
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope
I guess she's the same one who replied to my email at Xmas! And if you've got her number in your phone and you're on Whats App you can see her picture! Sorry to sound like a perv - oh the irony...
I am sure she'll be delighted by the admiration!
Old Feb 25th 2013, 7:56 am
Vendor

MRam is an unknown quantity at this point

I suggest you shop around for currency transfer quotes and make sure that you are getting the best rate from an FSA authorised foreign exchange provider. Typically, a foreign exchange broker's rate can be up to 4% better than the banks - as you probably know.

(SNIP)

Hope that helps
Mark

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Feb 25th 2013 at 3:33 pm. Reason: Please .. you cant advertise in the forums

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.