Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

GBP/AED rate: who is sending money home now?

GBP/AED rate: who is sending money home now?

Old Feb 25th 2013, 7:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: GBP/AED rate: who is sending money home now?

Originally Posted by MRam
I suggest you shop around for currency transfer quotes and make sure that you are getting the best rate from an FSA authorised foreign exchange provider. Typically, a foreign exchange broker's rate can be up to 4% better than the banks - as you probably know.

I'm from Halo Financial, a British Expats vendor/advertiser, so if you are interested in finding out how we can help you then send me a private message. Otherwise, just make sure you use a trusted broker with segregated client accounts, that is FSA authorised.

<snip>

Hope that helps
Mark
.......... and I'm from the Advertorial Police............

Last edited by Bob; Feb 25th 2013 at 3:36 pm. Reason: follow on
Old Feb 25th 2013, 7:58 am
Vendor

MRam is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
If the question is asking about achieving a good exchange rate - and I have given an unbiased response...its fine...well so I've been told by the moderators ...but no worries I wont comment any further. cheers
Old Feb 25th 2013, 3:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MRam
Hi
If the question is asking about achieving a good exchange rate - and I have given an unbiased response...its fine...well so I've been told by the moderators ...but no worries I wont comment any further. cheers
Answering questions is fine. Your sig has a link to your company and people can follow that if they want, you don't need to push the service.

Anyway, don't know if XE.com operate in the ME, but they get recommended a lot in other parts of BE.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 3:40 pm
Vendor

MRam is an unknown quantity at this point

no worries many thanks
Mark
Old Feb 25th 2013, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

GolfGardener has a brilliant futureGolfGardener has a brilliant futureGolfGardener has a brilliant futureGolfGardener has a brilliant futureGolfGardener has a brilliant futureGolfGardener has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
I tried using the service that Meow offered to connect me to (after I had asked her, she didn't push it on me). To be frank, I was disappointed at how slow in responding to emails & phone calls the service was, never calling back when they said they would, and never fully explaining how I could transfer from OMR to UK, without involving an AED transfer.

For the sake of 0.01% difference between their rates and my bank (HSBC Premier) I use the bank to transfer directly, and "free", to my GBP bank account with HSBC here. Then when I need cash in the UK, I transfer what I need to my UK HSBC account from here to UK, all in GBP and charge free.
I've used them and always found them pretty responsive, but you have to negotiate with them on every transaction which is a bit of a pain. That gets the spread down to around 1% though, which is pretty good compared to the 3% or so that HSBC charge.
Old Mar 7th 2013, 7:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

From an interbank viewpoint, the rate has briefly dipped below 5.50 this morning......... recovered a little, but..........
Old Mar 7th 2013, 7:56 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
From an interbank viewpoint, the rate has briefly dipped below 5.50 this morning......... recovered a little, but..........
Just sent some at 5.99, happy with that!
Old Mar 8th 2013, 2:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Roadking
Just sent some at 5.99, happy with that!
I assume that's a typo - if not, you have been what my Texan mate would refer to as futt-bucked (anag).
Old Mar 8th 2013, 6:09 am
...---...

Fossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond repute

I think once Carney gets in he will start QE in earnest. It was pretty obvious yesterday's BOE decision was so as to give Carney something to work with. With him at the helm and Tucker saying Sterling needs to be devalued even more then I am holding out for the £ to fall to 1.40 against the $, so should be around 5.25 for AED to £ exchange.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 6:16 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

I assume that's a typo - if not, you have been what my Texan mate would refer to as futt-bucked (anag).
Oops! 5.49 ....but I do have a strange tension in my futt???
Old Mar 8th 2013, 7:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

7% decline in value of £ as measured against a basket of currencies in the last 12 months. But the bankers and old etonians continue to tell us "TINA !"
Old Mar 12th 2013, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

And the fall continues, but when will it stop?
http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=GBPA...=on&z=m&q=l&c=
Old Jul 5th 2013, 4:43 am
...---...

Fossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond repute

Good old Carney. He has barely pulled his chair up to his desk and the pound has started it's decline. He is know as a big fan of QE and it appears to be a open secret that inflating away UK debt will be his strategy. I expect to see the 1.40 against the $ during his tenure, perhaps even this year.
Old Jul 5th 2013, 5:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Fossildog
Good old Carney. He has barely pulled his chair up to his desk and the pound has started it's decline. He is know as a big fan of QE and it appears to be a open secret that inflating away UK debt will be his strategy. I expect to see the 1.40 against the $ during his tenure, perhaps even this year.
Yes - and just as the US winds down its own programme of 'easing'. Quite a pleasant surprise to return to my desk yesterday to see that vertical downward line on the intra-day chart...........

One obstacle that might stand in the way of 1.40? If gold hunters start to think gold is oversold, and start buying again, the USD will weaken against everything - even GBP.........
Old Jul 6th 2013, 8:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes - and just as the US winds down its own programme of 'easing'. Quite a pleasant surprise to return to my desk yesterday to see that vertical downward line on the intra-day chart...........

One obstacle that might stand in the way of 1.40? If gold hunters start to think gold is oversold, and start buying again, the USD will weaken against everything - even GBP.........
By close of play on Friday, GBP/USD had dipped a tad below 1.49 (GBP/AED 5.4725-ish) which would normally bring in bargain-hunting buyers when markets open on Monday but that might not be the case this week...........