Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

GBP/AED drops below 6.00..........

Wikiposts

GBP/AED drops below 6.00..........

Old Nov 12th 2008, 6:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: GBP/AED drops below 6.00..........

Today's jobs numbers, plus the Bank of England Governor basically saying 'the UK is crap', have set in motion what may prove to be unstoppable - at least for the foreseeable future.

More rate cuts to come, certainly, and no reason to hold any GBP-denominated assets. True, our exports are now more affordable to overseas buyers, but exports have become an increasingly minor element in our overall economic profile in the last few years.

Wish I had bought that place in Florida I spotted online earlier in the year - when GBP/USD was above 2.00............. too expensive now!

Currently GBP/USD hovering just below 1.50.............. apparently the Moving Average Convergence/Divergence indicators and momentum impetus models () suggest nothing to stop it until 1.36......... which is a GBP/AED of under 5.00, and a GBP/SAR of 5.10..........
Old Nov 12th 2008, 8:25 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Meanwhile, the pound drops to its lowest value against the Euro ever... it's going to be threatening parity soon...
Old Nov 12th 2008, 6:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by typical
Meanwhile, the pound drops to its lowest value against the Euro ever... it's going to be threatening parity soon...
Wait till the pound falls to parity against the dollar......... I can remember 1.0350 in 1985 - ah those were the days........
Old Nov 12th 2008, 8:04 pm
Just Joined

grafik is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm currently negotiating a package for a move to Dubai.

My wife and kids will remain in the UK, with a UK mortgage and I will be working in Dubai for 2-3 years max.

Should I aim for my salary to be paid in

USD / GBP or AED???

Thoughts?
Old Nov 12th 2008, 8:08 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grafik

My wife and kids will remain in the UK, with a UK mortgage and I will be working in Dubai for 2-3 years max.

USD / GBP or AED???

Thoughts?
well, those who are paid in GBP are getting worried with this exchange rate, whereas those of us paid in AED have seen a nice 10-15% pay rise over the last few weeks (if you convert back into pounds, that is!)

Last edited by Hello.Kitty; Nov 12th 2008 at 8:11 pm.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 8:17 pm

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by grafik

USD / GBP or AED???

Thoughts?

USD/AED are essentially the same because the AED is pegged to the USD. personally, my vote would be USD/AED. currency traders seem to have more confidence in the US economy sorting itself out much quicker than the the UK

(my 2p ... which is actually about 3.5c... )
Old Nov 12th 2008, 9:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by still.unsure
USD/AED are essentially the same because the AED is pegged to the USD. personally, my vote would be USD/AED. currency traders seem to have more confidence in the US economy sorting itself out much quicker than the the UK

(my 2p ... which is actually about 3.5c... )
No it's only 3.0c........... DO keep up!!!!!
Old Nov 12th 2008, 9:58 pm
Just Joined

grafik is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks - much appreciated
Old Nov 12th 2008, 10:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

"Pound not collapsing shock"

Almost dipped to 1.48 in early London trading but hovering just above 1.49 now...........

Amazing when a day of NON-volatility is worthy of comment.........
Old Nov 12th 2008, 11:11 pm

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by The Dean
No it's only 3.0c........... DO keep up!!!!!
cr@p, you're right, my apologies...
Old Nov 13th 2008, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Cham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to behold

I'm so glad that I was supposed to be going out to dxb for a shopping trip now that the pound is worth the same as a spanish peso...
Old Nov 13th 2008, 12:54 am
Forum Regular

Duracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to all

Originally Posted by The Dean
Wait till the pound falls to parity against the dollar......... I can remember 1.0350 in 1985 - ah those were the days........
There is a good chance the way things are going.

What would parity do to the GBP/AED rate? I am not sure how this pegging systems works.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 1:14 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duracell_Bunny
There is a good chance the way things are going.

What would parity do to the GBP/AED rate? I am not sure how this pegging systems works.
US$1 = AED3.67. As long as the peg is in place and the UAE can defend it, that's always true.

Therefore if you get dollar-pound parity, one pound will also be worth AED3.67.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 1:55 am
Forum Regular

Duracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to all

US$1 = AED3.67. As long as the peg is in place and the UAE can defend it, that's always true.

Wow.

Good news for expats sending money home.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 3:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'm desperately trying to keep my other half in the dark.......... she still thinks GBP/USD is above 2.00......... long may this continue........