Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

The Gaza situation then....

The Gaza situation then....

Old Jan 8th 2009, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

Shehryar is a jewel in the roughShehryar is a jewel in the roughShehryar is a jewel in the roughShehryar is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: The Gaza situation then....

Originally Posted by W10
Noam Chomsky (along with the late Edward Said) is one of the foremost thinkers of modern times..
I quite like Chomsky, at least on international relations and Zionism, and Edward Said often made perceptive points. However, despite my obvious bias towards their points of view, I would be wary of categorising either them in that way; both were leading left-wing intellectuals, but surely also very very controversial...?
Old Jan 8th 2009, 9:48 am
Just Joined

thetruth is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by annacarna
You are obviously well read, Robert Fisk is an excellent writer as is Mr. Friedman, but your last few posts clearly do not show this
As a person who is equally well read (although I am not the biggest fan of Thomas Friedman). I advise you to view the video posted earlier, it is quiet interesting.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 9:53 am
W10

Originally Posted by Shehryar
I quite like Chomsky, at least on international relations and Zionism, and Edward Said often made perceptive points. However, despite my obvious bias towards their points of view, I would be wary of categorising either them in that way; both were leading left-wing intellectuals, but surely also very very controversial...?
I don't think that anyone - even Thomas Friedman - would dispute their status as two of the most important thinkers of modern times. Whether you agree with their points of view or not, it doesn't lessen their importance.

Chomsky is also very famous for his studies on language...

Old Jan 8th 2009, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thetruth
As a person who is equally well read (although I am not the biggest fan of Thomas Friedman). I advise you to view the video posted earlier, it is quiet interesting.
I will def view the video!
Old Jan 8th 2009, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

Shehryar is a jewel in the roughShehryar is a jewel in the roughShehryar is a jewel in the roughShehryar is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by W10
I don't think that anyone - even Thomas Friedman - would dispute their status as two of the most important thinkers of modern times. Whether you agree with their points of view or not, it doesn't lessen their importance.
Fair enough, I guess you are right (though the likes of the AEI, or the PNAC, or the AIPAC, or any other neocons would disagree with you - and would also question Friedman's credentials in this regard, he being considered another 'NYT lefty'.)
Originally Posted by W10
Chomsky is also very famous for his studies on language...
Absolutely - he is a linguist of great repute and standing, quite aside from his political views. A bit like Paul Krugman (another NYT lefty) - universally acknowledged as a great econometrist, but way more controversial on politics.