British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Gay Muslim weddings (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/gay-muslim-weddings-706138/)

Meow Feb 20th 2011 10:24 am

Gay Muslim weddings

Can't see this happening here for a while. Perhaps in a few hundred years...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12486003

British gay Muslims are joining the global fight for equality and seeking gay Islamic marriage. The BBC's 5 live Investigates speaks to one couple about their 'nikah' - a Muslim matrimonial contract - and asks how they balance their sexuality with the Islamic faith.

"We met about three years ago, at an iftar - a breaking of fast during Ramadan.

"I think a lot of Muslims find that time of year very spiritual and very enlightening, and so I think that's why our relationship developed, because we spoke about our faith."

"Eventually we went on a date."

Asra recalls the first time she met her partner, Sarah, three years ago. The gay couple, who are also Muslim, are one of a growing number of gay, British Muslims who have cemented their relationship with marriage - Islamic marriage.

and more in the link...

Blue Cat Feb 20th 2011 12:20 pm

Re: Gay Muslim weddings

being gay however is haram so I have no idea how they have got round this one, good on them though :)

Spugsy Feb 20th 2011 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 9189125)
Can't see this happening here for a while. Perhaps in a few hundred years...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12486003

British gay Muslims are joining the global fight for equality and seeking gay Islamic marriage. The BBC's 5 live Investigates speaks to one couple about their 'nikah' - a Muslim matrimonial contract - and asks how they balance their sexuality with the Islamic faith.

"We met about three years ago, at an iftar - a breaking of fast during Ramadan.

"I think a lot of Muslims find that time of year very spiritual and very enlightening, and so I think that's why our relationship developed, because we spoke about our faith."

"Eventually we went on a date."

Asra recalls the first time she met her partner, Sarah, three years ago. The gay couple, who are also Muslim, are one of a growing number of gay, British Muslims who have cemented their relationship with marriage - Islamic marriage.

and more in the link...

Good luck, let's hope there's no honour killings or anything like that, which does tend to happen.

Meow Feb 20th 2011 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 9189275)
being gay however is haram so I have no idea how they have got round this one, good on them though :)

In the Old Testament (Leviticus) homosexuality is described as an abomination and thus forbidden, but many of us have seen sense over that and are living in the modern world. No reason why Muslims can't update their thinking for the current century too.

Blue Cat Feb 20th 2011 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 9189313)
In the Old Testament (Leviticus) homosexuality is described as an abomination and thus forbidden, but many of us have seen sense over that and are living in the modern world. No reason why Muslims can't update their thinking for the current century too.

couldn't agree with you more, I had a rather heated discussion on Twitter with a young Muslim man who told me if his Brother was gay they would kill him :eek:

Meow Feb 20th 2011 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 9189353)
couldn't agree with you more, I had a rather heated discussion on Twitter with a young Muslim man who told me if his Brother was gay they would kill him :eek:

Bigots like that disgust me.
:thumbdown:

Blue Cat Feb 20th 2011 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 9189359)
Bigots like that disgust me.
:thumbdown:

was duly unfollowed :thumbdown:

shakh your bootie Feb 20th 2011 5:19 pm

Thought-provoking article, thanks Meow.

One thought that occurs is that the marriage described has no recognition either under Shariah Law or British Law. They seem to rely on a weak theological argument that under Shariah the marriage need not be presided over by a Mullah - but I'm sure a Qadi would argue that the marriage is disqualified under numerous other grounds. Yawn..... As Meow points out, one could quote scripture to disqualify Christian gay marriages.

What interests me more is why two lesbians brought up in the Islamic tradition would want to have their cake and eat it in this way? By definition, they must be selecting which elements of Islam they wish to continue to believe in, and which elements they choose to reject.

I imagine the reality of the situation is that people choose to invent new realities for themselves. Much as the churches of england (capitals ommitted purposefully) fill up for X-mas and Easter - people like the warm memories of the traditions that they grew up with. That is hardly a basis for re-defining a theological ideology to suit ones' life choices.

I'm sorry - it smacks at best simply of intellectual laziness, at worst of gross stupidity.

Bottom line? You can't be a muslim and be gay at the same time. I wonder, in fact, whether one can even be in any way beyond the blueprint and a believer in any judaeo-christian theology contemporaneously......

Boomhauer Feb 20th 2011 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 9189275)

Doesn't seem to matter much to plently of Local old men trying to pick up young boys, or Afghans and their dancing boy culture. Guess their logic is only the one receiving is gay...