Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Gay man considering Aramco

Gay man considering Aramco

Old May 15th 2013, 6:43 pm
Just Joined

anglocatalan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Gay man considering Aramco

Hi all! I'm a single gay man considering interviewing for Saudi Aramco in an EFL teaching role. Outwardly I am not 'identifiable' as gay and I am willing to live 'in the closet' whilst in the KSA, restricting gay social life to holidays back home, How likely is this to be a problem in Aramco? I am aware of the legal situation in the country, but what I really would like is to hear your opinions on life in the compound and whether it is 'risky' if discovered to be gay in or by the company. I have a degree in Arabic and I am really keen on experiencing life in the Kingdom. Thanks in advance for your comments and advice.
Old May 15th 2013, 6:51 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gay man considering Aramco

Originally Posted by anglocatalan View Post
Hi all! I'm a single gay man considering interviewing for Saudi Aramco in an EFL teaching role. Outwardly I am not 'identifiable' as gay and I am willing to live 'in the closet' whilst in the KSA, restricting gay social life to holidays back home, How likely is this to be a problem in Aramco? I am aware of the legal situation in the country, but what I really would like is to hear your opinions on life in the compound and whether it is 'risky' if discovered to be gay in or by the company. I have a degree in Arabic and I am really keen on experiencing life in the Kingdom. Thanks in advance for your comments and advice.
Funnily enough in the ME no one bats an eyelid to men kissing or holding hands. Its really not a worry as all relationships except marriage are banned anyhow. Keep yourself to yourself in public and don't give it another thought.

But why Saudi? Are you a masochist, Alcohol or druggie? If not go to anywhere else around here 1st.

Last edited by britexpat76; May 15th 2013 at 6:53 pm. Reason: Insane wanting to go to Saudi?
Old May 15th 2013, 7:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by britexpat76 View Post
Funnily enough in the ME no one bats an eyelid to men kissing or holding hands. Its really not a worry as all relationships except marriage are banned anyhow. Keep yourself to yourself in public and don't give it another thought.

But why Saudi? Are you a masochist, Alcohol or druggie? If not go to anywhere else around here 1st.
LOL! Certainly none of the above! I got contacted by a recruiter and sounded like a good idea. I'd been considering a move to the ME for a while, currently in Spain and not progressing professionally or financially, and after doing a bit of research Aramco sounded like a great company to work for. My only worry was a forced visit to chop-chop square after a run in with the mutawa or being sacked if anyone at the company found out about my orientation. I'll certainly look a Qatar and UAE as well. Thanks a lot for your help!!
Old May 15th 2013, 7:09 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

LOL! Certainly none of the above! I got contacted by a recruiter and sounded like a good idea. I'd been considering a move to the ME for a while, currently in Spain and not progressing professionally or financially, and after doing a bit of research Aramco sounded like a great company to work for. My only worry was a forced visit to chop-chop square after a run in with the mutawa or being sacked if anyone at the company found out about my orientation. I'll certainly look a Qatar and UAE as well. Thanks a lot for your help!!
No need to worry about chop chop square mate.

I think the penalty for homosexuality is hanging.
Old May 15th 2013, 7:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by britexpat76 View Post
No need to worry about chop chop square mate.

I think the penalty for homosexuality is hanging.
Yikes!
Old May 15th 2013, 7:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Yikes!
If you're attractive there's plenty of Royals and Clerics who will 'protect' you
Old May 15th 2013, 9:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I had lots of gay colleagues when in KSA. If you are discreet and avoid liaisons with students it is not a problem.
Old May 16th 2013, 3:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47 View Post
I had lots of gay colleagues when in KSA. If you are discreet and avoid liaisons with students it is not a problem.
How do you know they were gay - if they were 'discreet'?
Old May 16th 2013, 5:54 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Are you sure you aren't identifiable? I had a friend who told me he was gay (knew anyway) and he was shocked that I knew, he claimed none of his family knew etc when I am pretty sure they all know.
Old May 16th 2013, 6:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat View Post
Are you sure you aren't identifiable? I had a friend who told me he was gay (knew anyway) and he was shocked that I knew, he claimed none of his family knew etc when I am pretty sure they all know.
Maybee his family's gaydar isn't as tuned in as yours
Old May 16th 2013, 7:41 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

You will probably be surprised at how many Saudis and expats working there are gay. It's arguably encouraged by the difficulty that the opposite sexes encounter when trying to meet and develop relationships. This applies to both men and women from my limited experience. You will be fine.
Old May 16th 2013, 7:47 am
Shark Fisherman

Originally Posted by mentalist View Post
You will probably be surprised at how many Saudis and expats working there are gay. It's arguably encouraged by the difficulty that the opposite sexes encounter when trying to meet and develop relationships. This applies to both men and women from my limited experience. You will be fine.
So you tried a man mental one.
Old May 16th 2013, 7:58 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer View Post
Maybee his family's gaydar isn't as tuned in as yours
you wouldn't need a gaydar to detect this one
Old May 16th 2013, 8:18 am
Shark Fisherman

Originally Posted by Blue Cat View Post
you wouldn't need a gaydar to detect this one
Old May 16th 2013, 8:20 am
Concierge

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.