British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Gay man considering Aramco (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/gay-man-considering-aramco-797143/)

anglocatalan May 15th 2013 6:43 pm

Gay man considering Aramco

Hi all! I'm a single gay man considering interviewing for Saudi Aramco in an EFL teaching role. Outwardly I am not 'identifiable' as gay and I am willing to live 'in the closet' whilst in the KSA, restricting gay social life to holidays back home, How likely is this to be a problem in Aramco? I am aware of the legal situation in the country, but what I really would like is to hear your opinions on life in the compound and whether it is 'risky' if discovered to be gay in or by the company. I have a degree in Arabic and I am really keen on experiencing life in the Kingdom. Thanks in advance for your comments and advice.

britexpat76 May 15th 2013 6:51 pm

Re: Gay man considering Aramco

Originally Posted by anglocatalan (Post 10709574)
Hi all! I'm a single gay man considering interviewing for Saudi Aramco in an EFL teaching role. Outwardly I am not 'identifiable' as gay and I am willing to live 'in the closet' whilst in the KSA, restricting gay social life to holidays back home, How likely is this to be a problem in Aramco? I am aware of the legal situation in the country, but what I really would like is to hear your opinions on life in the compound and whether it is 'risky' if discovered to be gay in or by the company. I have a degree in Arabic and I am really keen on experiencing life in the Kingdom. Thanks in advance for your comments and advice.

Funnily enough in the ME no one bats an eyelid to men kissing or holding hands. Its really not a worry as all relationships except marriage are banned anyhow. Keep yourself to yourself in public and don't give it another thought.

But why Saudi? Are you a masochist, Alcohol or druggie? If not go to anywhere else around here 1st.

anglocatalan May 15th 2013 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10709586)
Funnily enough in the ME no one bats an eyelid to men kissing or holding hands. Its really not a worry as all relationships except marriage are banned anyhow. Keep yourself to yourself in public and don't give it another thought.

But why Saudi? Are you a masochist, Alcohol or druggie? If not go to anywhere else around here 1st.

LOL! Certainly none of the above! I got contacted by a recruiter and sounded like a good idea. I'd been considering a move to the ME for a while, currently in Spain and not progressing professionally or financially, and after doing a bit of research Aramco sounded like a great company to work for. My only worry was a forced visit to chop-chop square after a run in with the mutawa or being sacked if anyone at the company found out about my orientation. I'll certainly look a Qatar and UAE as well. Thanks a lot for your help!!

britexpat76 May 15th 2013 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by anglocatalan (Post 10709602)
LOL! Certainly none of the above! I got contacted by a recruiter and sounded like a good idea. I'd been considering a move to the ME for a while, currently in Spain and not progressing professionally or financially, and after doing a bit of research Aramco sounded like a great company to work for. My only worry was a forced visit to chop-chop square after a run in with the mutawa or being sacked if anyone at the company found out about my orientation. I'll certainly look a Qatar and UAE as well. Thanks a lot for your help!!

No need to worry about chop chop square mate.

I think the penalty for homosexuality is hanging. ;)

anglocatalan May 15th 2013 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10709613)
No need to worry about chop chop square mate.

I think the penalty for homosexuality is hanging. ;)

Yikes!

Boomhauer May 15th 2013 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by anglocatalan (Post 10709624)
Yikes!

If you're attractive there's plenty of Royals and Clerics who will 'protect' you;)

scot47 May 15th 2013 9:24 pm

I had lots of gay colleagues when in KSA. If you are discreet and avoid liaisons with students it is not a problem.

The Dean May 16th 2013 3:44 am

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 10709798)
I had lots of gay colleagues when in KSA. If you are discreet and avoid liaisons with students it is not a problem.

How do you know they were gay - if they were 'discreet'?

Blue Cat May 16th 2013 5:54 am

Are you sure you aren't identifiable? I had a friend who told me he was gay (knew anyway) and he was shocked that I knew, he claimed none of his family knew etc when I am pretty sure they all know.

Boomhauer May 16th 2013 6:03 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 10710193)
Are you sure you aren't identifiable? I had a friend who told me he was gay (knew anyway) and he was shocked that I knew, he claimed none of his family knew etc when I am pretty sure they all know.

Maybee his family's gaydar isn't as tuned in as yours:D

mentalist May 16th 2013 7:41 am

You will probably be surprised at how many Saudis and expats working there are gay. It's arguably encouraged by the difficulty that the opposite sexes encounter when trying to meet and develop relationships. This applies to both men and women from my limited experience. You will be fine.:)

britexpat76 May 16th 2013 7:47 am

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 10710331)
You will probably be surprised at how many Saudis and expats working there are gay. It's arguably encouraged by the difficulty that the opposite sexes encounter when trying to meet and develop relationships. This applies to both men and women from my limited experience. You will be fine.:)

So you tried a man mental one. :huh:

Blue Cat May 16th 2013 7:58 am

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 10710208)
Maybee his family's gaydar isn't as tuned in as yours:D

you wouldn't need a gaydar to detect this one :)

britexpat76 May 16th 2013 8:18 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 10710355)
you wouldn't need a gaydar to detect this one :)

http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/a...80_703114a.jpg

Blue Cat May 16th 2013 8:20 am

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10710390)

:rofl::rofl::rofl: