Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Gay Community or Support in Doha

Gay Community or Support in Doha

Old Sep 30th 2016, 2:06 pm
Just Joined

target2323 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Gay Community or Support in Doha

Hi - Having read a lot of the posts regarding homosexuality in Doha and the increasing coverage in the press, I just wanted to know if anyone knew of any group or regular meeting place for lgbt individuals to talk and get support. To be clear, I'm not looking for information around hook up joints or dating websites, just purely a support group where people can talk about the problems of being in country and being lgbt.

And please, if the responses could be kept on topic. I know I chose to come here and I know my lifestyle. Not trying to change the law or start Doha Pride - just want to get by as easily as possible and meet others in the same boat.

Thanks
Old Sep 30th 2016, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

lightandbitter2 has a reputation beyond reputelightandbitter2 has a reputation beyond reputelightandbitter2 has a reputation beyond reputelightandbitter2 has a reputation beyond reputelightandbitter2 has a reputation beyond reputelightandbitter2 has a reputation beyond reputelightandbitter2 has a reputation beyond reputelightandbitter2 has a reputation beyond reputelightandbitter2 has a reputation beyond reputelightandbitter2 has a reputation beyond reputelightandbitter2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gay Community or Support in Doha

Originally Posted by target2323
Hi - Having read a lot of the posts regarding homosexuality in Doha and the increasing coverage in the press, I just wanted to know if anyone knew of any group or regular meeting place for lgbt individuals to talk and get support. To be clear, I'm not looking for information around hook up joints or dating websites, just purely a support group where people can talk about the problems of being in country and being lgbt.

And please, if the responses could be kept on topic. I know I chose to come here and I know my lifestyle. Not trying to change the law or start Doha Pride - just want to get by as easily as possible and meet others in the same boat.

Thanks
Nailed it with the username
Old Sep 30th 2016, 2:34 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the constructive input. Perhaps you'd best head off as you've likely got a busy day of trolling ahead.

For any other cretin that wants to poke a stick - please - save yourself the time and don't bother
Old Sep 30th 2016, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

Charl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond repute

You should make contact with Redshark, he should be able to guide you.
Old Sep 30th 2016, 3:15 pm
Just Joined

Thanks very much Charl! I'll look them up. Much appreciated
Old Sep 30th 2016, 4:06 pm
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

On a serious note, Qatar is a strict Islamic country and what you are searching for will at best end in jail time, then deportation. Just the way it is here, and it won't change any time soon (not even for the FIFA World Cup 2022 event, if it happens)
Old Sep 30th 2016, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Johnnyboy11
On a serious note, Qatar is a strict Islamic country and what you are searching for will at best end in jail time, then deportation. Just the way it is here, and it won't change any time soon (not even for the FIFA World Cup 2022 event, if it happens)
Johnnyboy, as stated in the original post, I am not seeking comment around legalities or dangers as I am fully aware of them as well as fully versed in sucking eggs. As I understand it, it is not illegal for 2 people to discuss their personal situations and offer advice and support around it. Which is all I am trying to ascertain as to whether there are a group that do this perfectly legal action.

Once again, to save your keyboards, if you do not have any direct advice around the specific original post, please don't both replying. I am interested in finding out the answer as opposed to your opinion.
Old Sep 30th 2016, 4:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Bit of a drama queen, eh?

If it's important to you to be in a place where you can find these kinds of support group then Doha ain't the place to be, mate.

Dubai has a large gay population but don't let that distort the reality for it's still underground / in-the-know. Doha is a much more old fashioned (and smaller) place despite the veneers of modernity. It's also not as progressive as Dubai, and that's saying a lot.

Good luck, mate. Your best bet is getting a VPN and switching on grindr and taking it from there. But be careful.
Old Sep 30th 2016, 4:31 pm
Just Joined

I'll try once more and see if I can be clear about the distinction between meeting people for gay sex and talking to someone around lgbt issues.

I am seeking advice around the latter and not the former. I certainly do not need to use a vpn to access grindr as that is not what my question is about.

As for name calling, if it floats your boat go ahead, but I am certainly not your mate.
Old Sep 30th 2016, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

lightandbitter2 has a reputation beyond reputelightandbitter2 has a reputation beyond reputelightandbitter2 has a reputation beyond reputelightandbitter2 has a reputation beyond reputelightandbitter2 has a reputation beyond reputelightandbitter2 has a reputation beyond reputelightandbitter2 has a reputation beyond reputelightandbitter2 has a reputation beyond reputelightandbitter2 has a reputation beyond reputelightandbitter2 has a reputation beyond reputelightandbitter2 has a reputation beyond repute

I'll try once more and see if I can be clear about the distinction between meeting people for gay sex and talking to someone around lgbt issues.

I am seeking advice around the latter and not the former. I certainly do not need to use a vpn to access grindr as that is not what my question is about.

As for name calling, if it floats your boat go ahead, but I am certainly not your mate.
Trying to decide whether the OP is :-

A) On a wind up
B) Working for the Feds at the Religious Police
C) One of those mincing cabin crew boys that Qatar Airways make compulsory on every flight. The main reason everyone wants windows seats.

Either way, an obnoxious twat that probably deserves to get reamed (iggle) at every opportunity.

Oh and you started the name calling cupcake
Old Sep 30th 2016, 4:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

The basic issue is this... you can't trust anyone. Even a gay friend (especially if an they are Arab or Muslim) - will have no issue in grassing you up if you fall out with them and if its in their interest to screw you over. So really do proceed with caution.

That said... I'm sure you'll find a few filipino or indian fun boys who will be discrete but I doubt you'll have the deep meaningful wo-is-me conversations over a frappuchino that you are looking for with them.
Old Sep 30th 2016, 4:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

You cannot do in Doha what is allowed in Islington. What you suggest is not feasible in Doha or elsewhere in the Gulf.
Old Sep 30th 2016, 5:16 pm
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

So let me get this right :
1. You DO know all the problems that come with from being from the LBGT community in Doha.
2. You do NOT want advice on how to meet other LBGT members socially as you have all those bases covered.
3. But you DO want to meet other LBGT members in a room, non-socially, to discuss......exactly what? point 1 and 2? You made it pretty clear that you have a chip on your shoulder as far those 2 points are concerned.
Yes it was your choice to live there and yes it was your choice to start a thread with a 'too acute too handle' topic.
Asking for an LBGT community support group in a Muslim country like Qatar is asking for a bit too much I am afraid.....mate!
Old Sep 30th 2016, 5:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

redShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to allredShark is a name known to all

Thanks very much Charl! I'll look them up. Much appreciated
I got your message mate, but I am afraid to tell you that, being a breed from the devil, selfish Charl01 directed you to the wrong person (probably he wanted to keep the hard blokes for himself). I, my friend happen to belong to the old British school of thought that believes that homosexuality is a mental as well as a physical disorder that requires therapy. Therefore, I am the last one on this board to give you an advice. But should you want to rethink your life then you can always come and talk to me.
Old Sep 30th 2016, 10:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Well if nothing else Redshank has proved exactly what a nugget he is and the type of support you will find in this region.
It's a tough place and one to proceed with caution.

There maybe something on meetup.com

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.