British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Gas Barbecues (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/gas-barbecues-733875/)

Millsyisland Sep 28th 2011 3:53 am

Gas Barbecues

Bought a gas barbecue last night (bargain in Danube Buildmart, Dalma Mall, Abu Dhabi) - anyone know what to do about getting the gas connected?

Can I use one of the small gas canisters that come round on the back of the gas trucks, and if so, can they do the fittings?

Always vowed never to get gas, always felt it's cheating, but getting lazy in my old age....

NorthernLad Sep 28th 2011 4:17 am

Re: Gas Barbecues

Originally Posted by Millsyisland (Post 9645483)
Bought a gas barbecue last night (bargain in Danube Buildmart, Dalma Mall, Abu Dhabi) - anyone know what to do about getting the gas connected?

Can I use one of the small gas canisters that come round on the back of the gas trucks, and if so, can they do the fittings?

Always vowed never to get gas, always felt it's cheating, but getting lazy in my old age....

We were in same situation, loved the charcoal Weber but moved to apartment and switched to gas, although food does not taste quite as good now the hassle-free bbq's make it worthwhile.

We just get the gas bottles and fittings from the trucks driving around, they will do it all for you.

csdf Sep 28th 2011 5:23 am

The guys from our local mini-market came round and connected up the gas fittings and provide bottles whenever we run out.

Bahtatboy Sep 28th 2011 6:38 am

If in AD, bottles from the petrol station opposite Madinat Zayed (they don't do the regulators), regulator from petrol station near the Ford showroom (Electra?) (they don't do the bottles). Made perfect sense to me:confused:

Oyibopeppeh Sep 28th 2011 7:43 am

In KCA.....gas bottles from the ADNC station at the Masdar side, regulators from Granite or AD Coop supermarkets in Khalifa market (the row of pink shops)

Tockalosh Sep 28th 2011 7:49 am

Shame on you all for ditching the Weber braais. Just cannot see the point as you may as well cook in the air conditioned kitchen on your stove.

Ditch these devilish things and dust off your Webers

Jack Daniels cask charcoal for the heat, hickory wood smoke chips for the flavour and a potjie pot or beer can chicken simmering next to some beer bread in a cast iron pot. Just add a cold beer for the ultimate blokes cooking experience

Spugsy Sep 28th 2011 9:13 am

Originally Posted by Tockalosh (Post 9645673)
Shame on you all for ditching the Weber braais. Just cannot see the point as you may as well cook in the air conditioned kitchen on your stove.

Ditch these devilish things and dust off your Webers

Jack Daniels cask charcoal for the heat, hickory wood smoke chips for the flavour and a potjie pot or beer can chicken simmering next to some beer bread in a cast iron pot. Just add a cold beer for the ultimate blokes cooking experience

I'm right with you here, it's basically a cooking stove, shouldn't be allowed to be called a barbecue.

Tockalosh Sep 28th 2011 9:29 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 9645753)
I'm right with you here, it's basically a cooking stove, shouldn't be allowed to be called a barbecue.

and I wouldnt mind but a decent quality one is going to set you back 3000 - 4000 aed which is just crazy

A decent weber (57 cm) with temp gauge is gonna set you back about 8 - 900 aed then if you really need to spend the extra cash you could buy a real smoker for another 1200 + aed.
There isnt enough wood available in Bahrain to justify a smoker sadly

I often hear that speed is the deciding factor in buying a gas braai but for indirect cooking a weber is ready to go in 30 minutes for 200 - 300 degree cooking and 45 mins for direct cooking. The latter can be reduced with a chimney but cannot bring myself to buy one.
30 mins gives time to prepare the meat, potjie, beer bread etc and then consume 2 beers.

Roast beef or Pork joint or lamb shanks for 4 people ready from removing from the fridge to serving in 1.5 hours or 5 beers and all with that lovely smell and taste

Brains1983 Sep 28th 2011 11:07 am

normally need a regulator which I think costs 60dhs from one of the hardware stores. I have a spare cylinder (full) if you want it.

Oyibopeppeh Sep 28th 2011 12:07 pm

And a good idea to buy a spare regulator while you're at it. They are crap quality

Boomhauer Sep 28th 2011 12:59 pm

Can't you use charcoal on your gas grill? Place charcoal above the burners on a rack, so you don't get direct flame onto the meat.

If you end up connecting the hose/fittings yourself, coat all valves and connections/joints with some soapy water to see if there is any gas leak, if you want to feel reassured.

And now off on a tangent...
The word "Barbacoa" is from the Arawak Indian (New World Indian)word "Barbecawa". Learnt this from a Brit TV channel in Abu Dhabi back in the mid 1990s where such informational tidbits were inserted inbetween regular programming, and in this case, it was a Brit cooking show.

Millsyisland Sep 28th 2011 3:05 pm

Thanks for all the replies chaps, think I'll waggle my head at the local gas truck people to see if they can help, if not I'll try to find 1 (or 2) of these regulator thingys and take it from there.