Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Future of Dubai's skyline?

Future of Dubai's skyline?

Old Jul 15th 2010, 5:48 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Future of Dubai's skyline?

Could be someone mucking around in photoshop of course..

http://gizmodo.com/5587470/this-the-...dubais-skyline
Old Jul 15th 2010, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Future of Dubai's skyline?

TBH I think this scenario is more likely

Old Jul 15th 2010, 6:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

dont think they will be building any more higher than the burj
Old Jul 16th 2010, 2:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Ok I love this reply from one of the responders;

So once they get their city built, they're going to flood the slums with ocean water?
This comment captures the essence of Dubai locals' mentality towards the poor who built the city.

Busybee2
dont think they will be building any more higher than the burj
So whats the occupancy % of the Burj?
Old Jul 16th 2010, 3:54 am
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

BO-RING!!!

Didn't someone predict Dubai would be dead twenty years ago? And ninteeen years ago? And eighteen years ago? And seventeen yearsa go?
And sixteen years ago? And fifteen years ago? And fourteen years ago?

YAAAAAWWWWN...

And the metro is still working despite the predictions of the armchair experts/cynics.

Jeez get over it already.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 5:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seven seas View Post
BO-RING!!!

Didn't someone predict Dubai would be dead twenty years ago? And ninteeen years ago? And eighteen years ago? And seventeen yearsa go?
And sixteen years ago? And fifteen years ago? And fourteen years ago?

YAAAAAWWWWN...

And the metro is still working despite the predictions of the armchair experts/cynics.

Jeez get over it already.
Twenty years ago, the world had never heard of Dubai, apart from the 'fame' it briefly achieved when Michael Palin came through during his 'Around The World In 80 Days' in 1988.

The Dubai business model ("If you build it, they will come") was never likely to survive a genuine crisis - property prices will keep going up because... er... people think they will... so it's... er... safe to lend Dubai lots of money... er...

That city skyline will never be built because Dubai hasn't the money to do so. The Maktoums never had money - they only ever had land, and what's that worth these days?

As I have pointed out before, I worked for the Dubai government during the 'good years', and was astonished by the blind faith in the future displayed by even some very senior people - very senior....

Last edited by The Dean; Jul 16th 2010 at 5:40 am. Reason: .
Old Jul 16th 2010, 8:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

this is probably more accurate

Old Jul 17th 2010, 7:24 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

From the same page as the link in the OP:

That's a dildo, surely?

http://gizmodo.com/5560529/hydropoli...m-of-the-ocean
Old Jul 18th 2010, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

Keoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really nice

In the Early '90's I lived & worked in Singapore. Property prices were escalating rapidly - even on a daily basis - I knew people who had lived there for years. I asked " why didn't you buy something a few years ago?" They replied - "Because we believed it had to stop sometime". I went from there to Hong Kong. Same question - a good mate that had lived there 15 yrs & never bought his apartment - why " Because we believed that it just couldn't go on - every year we predicted that it couldn't go on".

Dubai? who knows? I think it's very brave to predict any outcome from where they are now. As for returning to a "pile of sand?" I don't think so.

Originally Posted by The Dean View Post
Twenty years ago, the world had never heard of Dubai, apart from the 'fame' it briefly achieved when Michael Palin came through during his 'Around The World In 80 Days' in 1988.

The Dubai business model ("If you build it, they will come") was never likely to survive a genuine crisis - property prices will keep going up because... er... people think they will... so it's... er... safe to lend Dubai lots of money... er...

That city skyline will never be built because Dubai hasn't the money to do so. The Maktoums never had money - they only ever had land, and what's that worth these days?

As I have pointed out before, I worked for the Dubai government during the 'good years', and was astonished by the blind faith in the future displayed by even some very senior people - very senior....
Old Jul 18th 2010, 4:40 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

It comes down to the economy at the end of the day. In HK and Singapore the economy was never solely based on real estate even during their property market booms. These cities have much more diversified economies than Dubai.

When you have 50% and increasing vacancy rates in commercial properties in Dubai, you know how badly overbuilt this place is. Perhaps the economy will catch up someday, but Dubai is not without competition in the region and as we all know the money is in Abu Dhabi, the debt is in Dubai.

AD has a rosy future because of its enormous cash and oil reserves, of which Dubai has none. Eventually the focus will shift to AD. Simple economic factors.

Originally Posted by Keoic View Post
In the Early '90's I lived & worked in Singapore. Property prices were escalating rapidly - even on a daily basis - I knew people who had lived there for years. I asked " why didn't you buy something a few years ago?" They replied - "Because we believed it had to stop sometime". I went from there to Hong Kong. Same question - a good mate that had lived there 15 yrs & never bought his apartment - why " Because we believed that it just couldn't go on - every year we predicted that it couldn't go on".

Dubai? who knows? I think it's very brave to predict any outcome from where they are now. As for returning to a "pile of sand?" I don't think so.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 5:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

are they going to build a space shuttle launcher? cool- always knew this place would turn into Star Wars. Well looks like one to me anyway.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 7:49 am
Mary Poppins 4evah!

Umbrella is just really niceUmbrella is just really niceUmbrella is just really niceUmbrella is just really niceUmbrella is just really niceUmbrella is just really niceUmbrella is just really niceUmbrella is just really niceUmbrella is just really niceUmbrella is just really niceUmbrella is just really nice

That's what they said about California. The prices kept on going up and up an--- er, wait that's not a good example.

U
Old Jul 20th 2010, 9:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Ethos83 View Post
It comes down to the economy at the end of the day. In HK and Singapore the economy was never solely based on real estate even during their property market booms. These cities have much more diversified economies than Dubai.

When you have 50% and increasing vacancy rates in commercial properties in Dubai, you know how badly overbuilt this place is. Perhaps the economy will catch up someday, but Dubai is not without competition in the region and as we all know the money is in Abu Dhabi, the debt is in Dubai.

AD has a rosy future because of its enormous cash and oil reserves, of which Dubai has none. Eventually the focus will shift to AD. Simple economic factors.
But I think Abu Dhabi realises it has also gone in a bit over the top. It is now cutting back hoping they won't have quite the surpluses there are in the Dubai property market??