British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   The Funeral......... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/funeral-794277/)

britexpat76 Apr 17th 2013 9:50 am

The Funeral.........

As a patriot there is nothing more heart warming than the British public lining the streets of London waving flags.

Queen has just turned up with the National Anthem playing...............I love that.

Seems the public are showing some decorum too - The odd boo or 2, but hey ho that is to be expected.

Quackers Apr 17th 2013 10:04 am

Re: The Funeral.........

Rule Britannia !!

Best bit of TV I remember were our boys going to kick Argentina (well done Mrs T RIP)

Patsy Stoned Apr 17th 2013 10:11 am

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10663820)
As a patriot there is nothing more heart warming than the British public lining the streets of London waving flags.

Queen has just turned up with the National Anthem playing...............I love that.

Seems the public are showing some decorum too - The odd boo or 2, but hey ho that is to be expected.

Hardly any protests, lots of applause..it was a lovely, dignified procession..well done the UK.
Lovely to see the Chelsea Pensioners lining the steps.

The_Citizen Apr 17th 2013 11:27 am

I'm really glad that it went ahead with seemingly very little protests. People may dislike her but it isn't fair on her family on the day they have to pay their own respects.

Bob Apr 17th 2013 11:28 am

So not much came of that gobby rich student kid then?

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 17th 2013 11:55 am

I suspect that most people chest-thumping about making noise as the procession goes by either bottled it or turned up and bottled it. You've got to be a bit sick in the head to blast a fog-horn at a funeral.

The_Citizen Apr 17th 2013 11:57 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10663999)
I suspect that most people chest-thumping about making noise as the procession goes by either bottled it or turned up and bottled it. You've got to be a bit sick in the head to blast a fog-horn at a funeral.

I'm sure having lots of armed forces and police in the area helped :)

OleJanx Apr 17th 2013 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by Manchester_QS (Post 10664001)
I'm sure having lots of armed forces and armedpolice in the area helped :)

Changed that for you...

Cypselos Apr 17th 2013 1:28 pm

It's the unarmed ex paras they'd have to worry about

Sandboy Apr 17th 2013 1:37 pm

looked surprisingly quiet for most of the route

jackthehat Apr 17th 2013 1:53 pm

A complete waste of GBP 10 Million!
Why hasn't Mark been arrested?

jackthehat Apr 17th 2013 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10663820)

Yes but did you see the faces of The Queen and Phil the Bubble? Are you a Daily Fail Reader?

Ethos83 Apr 17th 2013 2:40 pm

It was quite a honour for the Queen to attend as she broke a long standing if unofficial protocol for she normally only attends funerals (and weddings) of close family members. Even junior royals usually have to make do with a representative sent by the Queen. The last PM's funeral she attended was Churchill's in 1965.

She was under no obligation to attend and she must have known that in doing so she damaged her standing among many people and she could have gotten out of it by sending Charlie boy or whatever his name is of Wessex. That she went herself is telling. I'm sure one of her justifications was Thatcher's leadership during the Falklands war and HM is a staunch supporter of armed forces (mind you I sincerely doubt she'd attend Blair's funeral).

Besides, it's no secret that the royals are deeply conservative. Perhaps underneath her apolitical exterior she was a rabid Thatcherite.

Originally Posted by jackthehat (Post 10664227)
Yes but did you see the faces of The Queen and Phil the Bubble? Are you a Daily Fail Reader?

Meow Apr 17th 2013 2:41 pm

Did Brenda & Phil look pleased? I thought the two women didn't get on.

I suspect most people who are anti are working and/or have far better things to do with their time than waste it on her and give the Daily Fail readers something else to whine about.

Ethos83 Apr 17th 2013 2:44 pm

Mrs. Ethos was in the crowd near Saint Paul's. She said it was a lovely and dignified procession with far less disturbance than she'd expected.