Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

FTSE down 8% on opening...

FTSE down 8% on opening...

Old Oct 10th 2008, 2:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FTSE down 8% on opening...

Market sentalimantalist is currently down - the markets are driven usually thru emotions (and a dash of manipulation). With the UK propping up an industry which is riddled with bad pratices it is natural selection/de-selection of the fittest. There is a concept which i scribe to called "least path of resistance" - Shorting is a natural alternative to going long (its a shame I am restricted by both company and regulator for a 2.5%).
Old Oct 10th 2008, 2:39 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: FTSE down 8% on opening...

Originally Posted by IndieG
sorry - thought you had the stomach for it after announcing ftse's 8% fall!

.....definitely not for the faint hearted; think you're the petal...lmao
Could be true, I'm delicate.

Interesting strategy you posted above .

Unless something changes I'm "all in" (with available funds) on GS once markets calm a little and hold, probably for a long time . ...value of investments may go up as well as down...etc.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 4:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
No way will UK markets be above 6,000 in 12-18 months. It'll take a good couple of year, at least, to see recovery.

As The Dean says, people have such short memories. Panic selling is driving markets down, but I expect them to stabilise by the end of the year.

-
A bit of both really.

I moved out of stocks (Europe and US; am still in India) completely in Apr 07 (thanks to hubby - I can't claim credit for this). On Monday I shall be buying US T-bills and invest in Australian Govt. issued bonds.

I shall keep a very tiny bit in the bank here. Will also buy ETFs soon.
Originally Posted by Charismatic
Lehman CDS auction (10.30am Eastern Timezone) so today could be one of the most interesting days which will be looked back by many future governments.

It'll be a good test for giving a gauge on how eager investers are to get hold of these heavily reduced assets.

If I had positions in financial institutions I'd have panicked a long time ago. I'd love to blame investors for panic selling but the fact is I've got no money tied to bank shares at the moment so I'd be a total hypocrit saying that.
Any advice you can give to a layman such as I??? My portfolio value is down by about 30%...I was thinking of converting the money to gold or silver...Or even buy some National Bonds...

Last edited by Confucius; Oct 10th 2008 at 4:23 pm.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 5:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Conf, I am not really qualified to give this type of advice. Anyway, will send you a pm tomorrow...
Old Oct 10th 2008, 6:07 pm
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Confucius
Any advice you can give to a layman such as I??? My portfolio value is down by about 30%...I was thinking of converting the money to gold or silver...Or even buy some National Bonds...
Sound advice from my Aussie accountants...if your portfolio is superannuation money...just leave it and forget about it (i.e., assuming your are not retiring soon) ...a couple of years or more and you will be fine.

As for private money and short term I don't know...as The Dean says is it better to buy bank shares or actually put the money in a bank to earn interest?
Old Oct 10th 2008, 6:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Conf, I am not really qualified to give this type of advice. Anyway, will send you a pm tomorrow...
Appreciate the effort girlie...You know I mean it...
Old Oct 10th 2008, 6:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by MacScot
Sound advice from my Aussie accountants...if your portfolio is superannuation money...just leave it and forget about it (i.e., assuming your are not retiring soon) ...a couple of years or more and you will be fine.

As for private money and short term I don't know...as The Dean says is it better to buy bank shares or actually put the money in a bank to earn interest?
That's the same advice my FA gave me, and it is sensible...
I'm only going to touch/use the funds after about 13 years from now, or, 6 years at the earliest...But still...
Old Oct 10th 2008, 6:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UKCityGent
Market sentalimantalist is currently down - the markets are driven usually thru emotions (and a dash of manipulation). With the UK propping up an industry which is riddled with bad pratices it is natural selection/de-selection of the fittest. There is a concept which i scribe to called "least path of resistance" - Shorting is a natural alternative to going long (its a shame I am restricted by both company and regulator for a 2.5%).
Shorting is a natural alternative to going long

Now THAT'S what I call sound investment advice........ Meow or Indie will be along in just a few moments to offer you a job............

Last edited by The Dean; Oct 10th 2008 at 6:45 pm. Reason: '
Old Oct 10th 2008, 6:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by The Dean
Shorting is a natural alternative to going long

Now THAT'S what I call sound investment advice........ Meow or Indie will be along in just a few moments to offer you a job............
First time you dont include Matahari in a group suggestion...You don't like her anymore,Deano???
Old Oct 10th 2008, 6:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Confucius
First time you dont include Matahari in a group suggestion...You don't like her anymore,Deano???
MH and I have a love-hate relationship..............

I love her, she hates me...........

[(C) Jimmy Tarbuck 1965]
Old Oct 10th 2008, 6:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MH and I have a love-hate relationship..............

I love her, she hates me...........

[(C) Jimmy Tarbuck 1965]
Tell us something we don't know...
Old Oct 11th 2008, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

"Shorting is a natural alternative to going long "

Sorry I meant to type "Shorting is just a natural alternative as well as going long"- remember prices can go in 3 directions !!
Old Oct 11th 2008, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute

Well it's not all bad news, Abramovish has lost £12 billion on the Russian markets.
Old Oct 11th 2008, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

I think Mittal went from $30b down to $12b - I can imagine the scene - he must be crying over his cornflakes this morning - "No James no kedigree this morning"

Joe Lewis lost about $700m

I know of one guy personally whos trading account has gone form $10m down to $650k

Last edited by UKCityGent; Oct 11th 2008 at 10:06 am.
Old Oct 11th 2008, 10:12 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

If he is working in the markets, please ask him for his opinion about something:

If he had fresh money to invest now, would he prefer (a) buying bank shares or (b) putting the money in a savings/deposit account at the same bank?

In other words, which is better - shareholder or saver?
ours is here www.nationalbonds.ae

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.