British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Friendly or Just odd (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/friendly-just-odd-620277/)

kittycat1 Jul 15th 2009 10:38 am

Friendly or Just odd

Hi all,

This may sound like a really wierd/naiive question.

But basically since knowing i've been moving out to Dubai I have had a lot of people recommend friends (people they met once)etc on facebook and have ended up with a bit of a UAE network going on. I'm now just getting randoms add me and offer to take me out for clubbing and drinks etc. Now I've possibly lived in London for too long and am very suspicious of everyone but are these people mad or just being realllllllllllly friendly, and they seem to pounce once they know I am single and don't know anyone. Guys in particular (and a few girls) appear to be offering to take me out clubbing, all paid for - now in London I would say that means they expect something in return (which I have pulled them up on and they have denied) and I'm not the sort to lead a guy on so I'm just trying to work out whether they mean it when they say they just wanna take me out or are they secretly into some sort of female trafficing and I'm going to end up in some 3rd world country being used as a sexslave? How safe is it for women out there- I knwo over here I won't accept a drink in case its been spiked!

Obviously in London noone talks to anyone so this is all a bit unheard of for me- but I hesitant to want to let my guard completely down but don't want to alienate myself and seem liek some sort of up her own arse type- just how friendly are you all out there? or are these people just downright weird and I should run away very fast?

Kittycat
xxx

Amnesia180 Jul 15th 2009 10:42 am

Re: Friendly or Just odd

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 7754287)
Hi all,

But basically since knowing i've been moving out to Dubai I have had a lot of people recommend friends (people they met once)etc on facebook and have ended up with a bit of a UAE network going on. I'm now just getting randoms add me and offer to take me out for clubbing and drinks etc. Now I've possibly lived in London for too long and am very suspicious of everyone but are these people mad or just being realllllllllllly friendly, and they seem to pounce once they know I am single and don't know anyone. Guys in particular (and a few girls) appear to be offering to take me out clubbing, all paid for - now in London I would say that means they expect something in return (which I have pulled them up on and they have denied) and I'm not the sort to lead a guy on so I'm just trying to work out whether they mean it when they say they just wanna take me out or are they secretly into some sort of female trafficing and I'm going to end up in some 3rd world country being used as a sexslave? How safe is it for women out there- I knwo over here I won't accept a drink in case its been spiked!

Obviously in London noone talks to anyone so this is all a bit unheard of for me- but I hesitant to want to let my guard completely down but don't want to alienate myself and seem liek some sort of up her own arse type- just how friendly are you all out there? or are these people just downright weird and I should run away very fast?

Kittycat
xxx

I can't comment on the whole thing about people trafficing... but, choose the most genuine one, go out - have a few drinks (paid for of course), wish him a good night and be on your way. Sorted!

Blue Cat Jul 15th 2009 10:43 am

I wouldn't let anyone onto my facebook account unless I knew them in real life or they were a definate close friend of one of my friends. Be careful Missy :)

Blue Cat Jul 15th 2009 10:43 am

Originally Posted by Amnesia180 (Post 7754296)
I can't comment on the whole thing about people trafficing... but, choose the most genuine one, go out - have a few drinks (paid for of course), wish him a good night and be on your way. Sorted!

dating stranger? nope :sneaky:

Spugsy Jul 15th 2009 10:44 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 7754287)
Hi all,

Kittycat
xxx

Sounds fûcking dodge to me pet, all drinks paid for?

I would imagine, and forgive my language here, that they basically want to fûck you.

banter64 Jul 15th 2009 10:51 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7754305)

I would imagine, and forgive my language here, that they basically want to fûck you.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::rofl:

Euc- Jul 15th 2009 10:55 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7754305)

http://media.bigoo.ws/content/smile/signs/signs_202.gif

kittycat1 Jul 15th 2009 10:56 am

right ok- so generally run away! so basically lots of dodgy people there as well as here....Noted!

Thanks guys
xxx

Amnesia180 Jul 15th 2009 10:59 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 7754300)
dating stranger? nope :sneaky:

Well, when you put it like. Ignore what I said. Listen to the others. :thumbup:

Emerald_Eyes Jul 15th 2009 11:03 am

Sounds weird to me too. I have got in touch with people here recommended by friends back in London and they have been incredibly helpful and welcoming, but I have stayed well away from the pervy "single" guys that seem to be everywhere. You're much better off going to group events and meeting up with people recommended by your friends. My rule is safety in numbers.

Roadking Jul 15th 2009 11:04 am

Originally Posted by Emerald_Eyes (Post 7754342)
Sounds weird to me too. I have got in touch with people here recommended by friends back in London and they have incredibly helpful and welcoming, but I have stayed well away from the pervy single guys that seem to be everywhere. You're much better off going to group events and meeting up with people recommended by your friends. My rule is safety in numbers.

Yeah, we pervy married guys are much better! hehehehe

Spugsy Jul 15th 2009 11:04 am

Originally Posted by Emerald_Eyes (Post 7754342)
Sounds weird to me too. I have got in touch with people here recommended by friends back in London and they have incredibly helpful and welcoming, but I have stayed well away from the pervy "single" guys that seem to be everywhere. You're much better off going to group events and meeting up with people recommended by your friends. My rule is safety in numbers.

There are so many sleazy bastards over here it's unreal.

Dirty fûckers as well.

Spugsy Jul 15th 2009 11:04 am

Originally Posted by Roadking (Post 7754347)

Indeed.

Emerald_Eyes Jul 15th 2009 11:07 am

Originally Posted by Roadking (Post 7754347)

Lol that's why I went back and put speech marks around single. Cos they're ALL single here apparently!

kittycat1 Jul 15th 2009 11:08 am

sounds like a single girls paradise:( ffs and you married guys are generally worse!

x