Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Friday Mornings in the UAE...

Friday Mornings in the UAE...

Old Jun 21st 2009, 7:13 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Friday Mornings in the UAE...

Originally Posted by Autonomy
I used to commute morning and night Ladbroke Grove to Old Street stright through Central London on a Trek Hybrid. Loved it and kept so fit.

You had to be in control and hyper aware of all other road users.

The number of near death experiences are too many to many to mention. Twice ended up on bonnets that just pulled out. However the greatest danger, one rare in Dubai, was pedestrians. They just walk blindly out. So many near misses...

If there were cycle tracks here I would do it again. Even in summer.
funnily enough a mate of mine back in the toon just scraped his face all over the road and broke his arm as a car didn't look and pulled out on him - he hit the bonnet and went ****ing flying.
Old Jun 21st 2009, 7:14 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
Spugsy, you have been rabbiting on about getting a bike since you moved here. Man up, grow a set of danglies and get a bike. I'm coming over to mirdif in a few saturdays to take a few mates out on a bike, nothing major 40K or such..come and join us. Pink Spandex optional
I might get one soon, you are right - I'm used to mountain bikes mind, not these skinny racer things.

And I ain't wearing no spandex.
Old Jun 21st 2009, 7:15 am
why ayeeeee man!

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
Surely a pointless exercise, since the seat will soon have them bolloxed (pardon the pun!!!)....
'I were right about that saddle though'
Old Jun 21st 2009, 7:15 am
why ayeeeee man!

Originally Posted by Spugsy
I might get one soon, you are right - I'm used to mountain bikes mind, not these skinny racer things.

And I ain't wearing no spandex.
oh aye, and best place to buy one?
Old Jun 21st 2009, 7:21 am
Account Closed

Emerald_Eyes is an unknown quantity at this point

oh aye, and best place to buy one?
I'm looking into a buying a mountain bike too right now. I did a lot of shopping around recently, but the best place I came across was Wolfis on Sheikh Zayed Road. The guys in there really know their stuff and they have a good selection of bikes. www.wbs.ae I'm probably going to go for a Scott hardtail to begin with. The FS bikes are awesome, but pretty expensive if you're just starting out.

All the other places I went to in the Malls etc employed people who don't really understand mountain biking and in fact look like they've never even ridden one, so they have very little knowledge to help you select a bike that's right for you. Wolfis also let you try their bikes out to get a feel for what suits you best.
Old Jun 21st 2009, 7:32 am
why ayeeeee man!

Originally Posted by Emerald_Eyes
I'm looking into a buying a mountain bike too right now. I did a lot of shopping around recently, but the best place I came across was Wolfis on Sheikh Zayed Road. The guys in there really know their stuff and they have a good selection of bikes. www.wbs.ae I'm probably going to go for a Scott hardtail to begin with. The FS bikes are awesome, but pretty expensive if you're just starting out.

All the other places I went to in the Malls etc employed people who don't really understand mountain biking and in fact look like they've never even ridden one, so they have very little knowledge to help you select a bike that's right for you. Wolfis also let you try their bikes out to get a feel for what suits you best.
ah I may make a trip over there then, whereabouts is it?

I've got a great mountainbike at home, I just gave it to a mate to use and look after for me whilst I'm away.
Old Jun 21st 2009, 7:38 am
Account Closed

I've got a great mountainbike at home, I just gave it to a mate to use and look after for me whilst I'm away.
Click here for a map on the website: http://www.wbs.ae/component/option,c...per/Itemid,30/

I used to mountain bike in the UK and I miss it too. Definitely want to get back into it now.
Old Jun 21st 2009, 8:55 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

you will pay approx 40-50% more for a bike in the UAE than back home. I know someone who bought a carbon road bike by a top brand in the uk. He paid to ship it out etc and it worked out about 3000AED cheaper than buying it here..

My bike for example was 400% more expensive here than what i paid for it in the US..

if your flash with your cash, then its not a problem i guess.

But the guys in WBS do know thier stuff for sure..
Old Jun 21st 2009, 8:56 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

SZR next to the Toyota dealer and ACE hardware..
Old Jun 21st 2009, 9:37 am
why ayeeeee man!

Originally Posted by commander
you will pay approx 40-50% more for a bike in the UAE than back home. I know someone who bought a carbon road bike by a top brand in the uk. He paid to ship it out etc and it worked out about 3000AED cheaper than buying it here..

My bike for example was 400% more expensive here than what i paid for it in the US..

if your flash with your cash, then its not a problem i guess.

But the guys in WBS do know thier stuff for sure..
hmmm, I've got a specialized FSR back home, it's a nice bike and as I said my mates using it and is keeping it in good nick,

so I'd be better off shipping that over here rather than buying new?
Old Jun 21st 2009, 10:10 am
Account Closed

I've done a recent price comparison of hardtails in the UK and Dubai and they seem to be at least 100-200 quid more expensive here, keeping in mind that I'm looking at hardtails rather than full suspension. Saying that, prices do seem to be dropping, sales are on and you don't have to get the latest 2009 model. I'd look into the costs of shipping it over versus the cost of buying a new one here.

Last edited by Emerald_Eyes; Jun 21st 2009 at 10:14 am.
Old Jun 21st 2009, 10:16 am
banned

I've done a recent price comparison of hardtails in the UK and Dubai and they seem to be at least 100-200 quid more expensive here, keeping in mind that I'm looking at hardtails rather than full suspension. Saying that prices do seem to be dropping, sales are on and you don't have to get the latest 2009 model. I'd look into the costs of shipping it over versus the cost of buying a new one here.
agree its worth doing a comparison..I just know fora high end road bike it is a hell of a lot more than in the UK (you could add another zero on your value above)..
Old Jun 21st 2009, 10:44 am
why ayeeeee man!

I've done a recent price comparison of hardtails in the UK and Dubai and they seem to be at least 100-200 quid more expensive here, keeping in mind that I'm looking at hardtails rather than full suspension. Saying that, prices do seem to be dropping, sales are on and you don't have to get the latest 2009 model. I'd look into the costs of shipping it over versus the cost of buying a new one here.
what's a hardtail and whay do you need it? Is it because you have a big arse?
Old Jun 21st 2009, 10:51 am
banned

Old Jun 21st 2009, 10:52 am
banned

saturday 10am Mirdif...get a bike and come along...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.