British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   friday brunch (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/friday-brunch-791571/)

Ronnie Biggs Mar 30th 2013 6:45 pm

Re: friday brunch

Went to Saffron on Friday at Atlantis. Clientele reminded me of a previous trip to the darts at The Circus Tavern in Purfleet. Ben Sherman must do very well over here.....

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 31st 2013 4:37 am

Originally Posted by Ronnie Biggs (Post 10632496)
Went to Saffron on Friday at Atlantis. Clientele reminded me of a previous trip to the darts at The Circus Tavern in Purfleet. Ben Sherman must do very well over here.....

Did that place for my birthday this year....everyone was my sort of age and wanted to have fun, but without any manners.

I felt like a right snob until about 2:45 when I stopped giving shit.

Ronnie Biggs Mar 31st 2013 4:53 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10632903)
Did that place for my birthday this year....everyone was my sort of age and wanted to have fun, but without any manners.

I felt like a right snob until about 2:45 when I stopped giving shit.

Hard not to sound like a total snob when describing that place though -would you say "Walkabout" the brunch sums it up? Why the **** would you open a tequila stand at 1230? A top spot if you're 22 and wearing flip flops, a bit of Fred Perry with the collar turned up and you want to get paralytic while letching with your all male party of 25 mates at anything in lycra; I was just surprised to see it at Atlantis. We had a good laugh anyway but it wasn't what we were expecting!

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 31st 2013 5:14 am

Originally Posted by Ronnie Biggs (Post 10632909)
Hard not to sound like a total snob when describing that place though -would you say "Walkabout" the brunch sums it up? Why the **** would you open a tequila stand at 1230? A top spot if you're 22 and wearing flip flops, a bit of Fred Perry with the collar turned up and you want to get paralytic while letching with your all male party of 25 mates at anything in lycra; I was just surprised to see it at Atlantis. We had a good laugh anyway but it wasn't what we were expecting!

It was my first time there too. I was sort of expecting it to be honest, some of the people with me had been before. It was great because it was different and there was about 15 of us so didn't need to worry about being a big loud or whatever....some people took that allowance to the extreme on other tables.

Some absolute hum-dinger slappers there though generally arm in arm with the knobheads you describe. Still, we had a great time and just walked away happy in the knowledge we are better specimens.

Upstairs to N'Dulge afterwards was a huge ****ing error though.

Ronnie Biggs Mar 31st 2013 5:22 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10632915)
It was my first time there too. I was sort of expecting it to be honest, some of the people with me had been before. It was great because it was different and there was about 15 of us so didn't need to worry about being a big loud or whatever....some people took that allowance to the extreme on other tables.

Some absolute hum-dinger slappers there though generally arm in arm with the knobheads you describe. Still, we had a great time and just walked away happy in the knowledge we are better specimens.

Upstairs to N'Dulge afterwards was a huge ****ing error though.

So is Atlantis....*ahem*....a bit of a chav's paradise? Is this the Basildon of Dubai?

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 31st 2013 5:27 am

Originally Posted by Ronnie Biggs (Post 10632918)
So is Atlantis....*ahem*....a bit of a chav's paradise? Is this the Basildon of Dubai?

The problem is this:

Young people, come to Dubai - maybe to be a teacher, or estate agent or recruiter (me) or finance sales person (the bad type) or maybe have proper jobs like an engineer or a whatever.....

Unless those young people have some manners and at least a bit of sense in their head then they see it as the must-do to brunch at Atlantis/Al Qasr/Bubblicious etc...this is the pinnacle of the weekend, to get dressed up like it's ladies day at Ascot and get ****ing shedded for 70quid....after all, they earn tax freee money now, more thna in the UK so they're obviously barry big spuds today..right?

More money, more sun, more ego = bigger wanker than they might be in the UK.

New people come and within wminutes they think they're charlie big bananas.

Ronnie Biggs Mar 31st 2013 5:45 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10632922)
The problem is this:

Young people, come to Dubai - maybe to be a teacher, or estate agent or recruiter (me) or finance sales person (the bad type) or maybe have proper jobs like an engineer or a whatever.....

Unless those young people have some manners and at least a bit of sense in their head then they see it as the must-do to brunch at Atlantis/Al Qasr/Bubblicious etc...this is the pinnacle of the weekend, to get dressed up like it's ladies day at Ascot and get ****ing shedded for 70quid....after all, they earn tax freee money now, more thna in the UK so they're obviously barry big spuds today..right?

More money, more sun, more ego = bigger wanker than they might be in the UK.

New people come and within wminutes they think they're charlie big bananas.

I make you right and to some extent I guess it's only natural, I just thought Atlantis would pitch themselves a bit beyond that but I guess money talks.

So where do you go when you want the fun but not the FILA tracksuit?

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 31st 2013 5:51 am

Originally Posted by Ronnie Biggs (Post 10632934)
I make you right and to some extent I guess it's only natural, I just thought Atlantis would pitch themselves a bit beyond that but I guess money talks.

So where do you go when you want the fun but not the FILA tracksuit?

It certainly does eh.

Somewhere I'd take my parents because it's brilliant but can be fun with the right people is Traiteur at Park Hyatt. Pricey though...600 I think.

Al Qasr and Bubblicious are always good fun but again, lumpy.

Not sure really, there will be knobheads everywhere. Definitely not worth you going to Double Deckers...:rofl:

commander Mar 31st 2013 6:55 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10632935)
It certainly does eh.

Somewhere I'd take my parents because it's brilliant but can be fun with the right people is Traiteur at Park Hyatt. Pricey though...600 I think.

Al Qasr and Bubblicious are always good fun but again, lumpy.

Not sure really, there will be knobheads everywhere. Definitely not worth you going to Double Deckers...:rofl:

Took my parents to the Terrace at the Park Hyatt yesterday for their Saturday brunch. It was superb, great food and very very relaxed. First time I'd been to that Hotel in around 6 years. Will try the Traiteur for a brunch at some point. I still like Spectrum on 1 brunch. The food is still good and the clientele do not fall into the categories you describe above.

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 31st 2013 7:12 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 10632958)
Took my parents to the Terrace at the Park Hyatt yesterday for their Saturday brunch. It was superb, great food and very very relaxed. First time I'd been to that Hotel in around 6 years. Will try the Traiteur for a brunch at some point. I still like Spectrum on 1 brunch. The food is still good and the clientele do not fall into the categories you describe above.

Honestly, Traiteur is the nicest I've been to. Not too busy, loads of MILFs and my Mum (not a MILF) was blown away. She was a bit touch and go about the price because it does seem a lot....not that she was paying, but you know.

By the time she'd drunk 2 or 3 bottles of Veuve and had at least two lobsters she saw value and was utterly over the moon. Wouldn't go with group of mates but parent-age visitors love it.

Dad and step-mum loved Bubblicious, sparkly stuff flowing and the food selection, Dad didn't know what to eat next. Fortunately we were outside but Hunters (I think it's called) and that's just meat central so he was happy.

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 31st 2013 7:13 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10632968)
Dad and step-mum loved Bubblicious, sparkly stuff flowing and the food selection, Dad didn't know what to eat next. Fortunately we were outside but Hunters (I think it's called) and that's just meat central so he was happy.

Forgot to say...it was a holiday, so booze stopped everywhere at 5/6pm.

Trying to explain to Dad that nowhere in Dubai would serve a drop was like trying to explain the rules of a roundabout to an Arab. Utterly mystified.

the_red_sheep Aug 19th 2013 4:52 am

Got a mate visiting from home this weekend so going to take him out for brunch, and looking for any recommendations of where’s decent at the moment. Preferably up ‘new Dubai’ end (going to do SZR/old Dubai on Thursday night), not to pricey (AED300-350ish max) and reasonably lively.

Current contenders are Nelson’s (never done it before though), Saffron (there’s a voucher in the Entertainer which brings the price down, getting there and back, and the crowd put me off somewhat) and The Wharf (need to check what the set-up there will be at the moment though.

Anyone got any other suggestions, or recent feedback on these 3?

Cheers.

mikewot Aug 19th 2013 5:00 am

1. FLAVOURS ON TWO – Towers Rotana – Rating: Very Good (04 312 2202)

a. Thurs and Fri – Italian Food Nights – 7:00-10:30 – AED 205 soft drink and alcohol package

2. MIZAAN - The H Hotel, No. 1, Ground Level, Sheikh Zayed Road, World Trade Center Area, Dubai – Rating: Very Good (04 501 8888)

a. Thur/Fri Evening Buffet: Dhs.195 (Without Alcohol), Dhs.245 (With Alcohol)

3. NA3NA3 - The Address Hotel Downtown Dubai – Rating: Good (04 888 3444)

a. Thurs Eve – Seafood AED 210 Non-alcohol / AED 265 alcohol.

b. Fri normal buffet – AED 175 soft only package, alcohol is extra

4. AOC French Brasserie - Sofitel Jumeirah Beach – Rating : Average (04 448 4848)

a. Thursday Evening Seafood; Dhs.220 (Without Alcohol), Dhs.310 (With Alcohol)

b. Friday – Bunch Only; Dhs.220 (Without Alcohol), Dhs.310 (With Alcohol)

5. THE TALK – Movenpick Hotel – Jumeirah Beach - Rating: Good (04 449 8888)

a. Thursday – Bombay Night – AED 165 soft / AED 225 alcohol

b. Friday – Seafood Night – AED 165 soft / AED 225 alcohol

NOTE: The BOGOF is for soft drink packages only!

6. MEDLEY – Pullman Hotel - Deira City Centre – No Rating (04 294 1222)

a. Thursday night seafood night – AED 220 Soft / AED 480 Alcohol inc bubbly

Food Only Offers:

1. EWAAN – THE PALACE – The Address Hotel Downtown Dubai - Rating: Good (04 888 3828)

a. Thurs and Fri – Buffet AED 190 - food only, all drinks are extra.

2. KELEIDOSCOPE – The Avenues, Atlantis The Palm - Rating: Excellent (04 426 2626)

a. 6pm-11pm Thursday - AED 195 per person food only.

b. 6pm-11pm Friday - AED 175 per person food only

Top End Offers:
1. AL MUNA – Madinat - Rating: Very Good (04 366 6730)

a. Friday Brunch: Dhs. 390 (inclusive of non-alcoholic beverages) Dhs. 455 (inclusive of Slush, Beer, Wine, Bubbly)

2. SAFFRON - Atlantis The Palm - Rating: Very Good (04 426 2626)

a. Friday Brunch: Dhs. 435 (including selected alcoholic and non alcoholic beverages)

3. LATITUDE – Jumeirah Beach Hotel – Rating: Very Good (04 406 8999)

a. Friday Brunch: Dhs. 315 (without alcohol) Dhs. 435 (with alcohol)

scrubbedexpat141 Aug 19th 2013 5:02 am

Originally Posted by the_red_sheep (Post 10857551)
Got a mate visiting from home this weekend so going to take him out for brunch, and looking for any recommendations of where’s decent at the moment. Preferably up ‘new Dubai’ end (going to do SZR/old Dubai on Thursday night), not to pricey (AED300-350ish max) and reasonably lively.

Current contenders are Nelson’s (never done it before though), Saffron (there’s a voucher in the Entertainer which brings the price down, getting there and back, and the crowd put me off somewhat) and The Wharf (need to check what the set-up there will be at the moment though.

Anyone got any other suggestions, or recent feedback on these 3?

Cheers.

Grand Grill at the Habtoor. It's about 350 I think and is lively, ribs are great and if you slip the waiter a hunny at the start you'll get buckets of beers before you can ask for another. Tidy.

mikewot Aug 19th 2013 5:03 am

Mistral, Ibn Battuta Gate is 245 for the alcohol package runs from 1900-2300.