British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Freedom of speech doesn't exist in the UK anymore apparently (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/freedom-speech-doesnt-exist-uk-anymore-apparently-713822/)

Norm_uk Apr 19th 2011 4:30 am

Freedom of speech doesn't exist in the UK anymore apparently

Say what you like about this but when someone is prosecuted for "religiously aggravated harassment" for burning a book we're in trouble. He should have been fined for stealing and let go if he paid.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-13119241

Blue Cat Apr 19th 2011 5:03 am

Re: Freedom of speech doesn't exist in the UK anymore apparently

I saw a documentary the other night when Islam4UK were burning American flags in the street in front of soliders who had just returned from Afghanistan, and calling the soldiers murderers. Nothing happened to them. This Islam4UK needs to be stopped.

littlejimmy Apr 19th 2011 5:15 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 9313241)
I saw a documentary the other night when Islam4UK were burning American flags in the street in front of soliders who had just returned from Afghanistan, and calling the soldiers murderers. Nothing happened to them. This Islam4UK needs to be stopped.

Why would they burn American flags?

See anything like this, Islamic fundy-mentalists and the Westboro Baptist church who picket US soldiers' funerals...they use and abuse the freedom of speech, but would quickly take everyone else's away. They cry foul when people criticise their fairy-tale beliefs, and say they want to keep their rights to promote bigotry and hatred in the name of God/Allah/The tooth fairy....

Norm_uk Apr 19th 2011 5:19 am

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 9313262)

See anything like this, Islamic fundy-mentalists and the Westboro Baptist church...they use and abuse the freedom of speech, but would quickly take anyone else's away. They cry foul when people criticise their fairy-tale beliefs, and say they want to keep their rights to promote bigotry and hatred in the name of God/Allah/The tooth fairy....

Exactly...but what is worrying about this is that the UK courts now support the silencing of free expression if someone looks likely to offend Islam.

No problem if you want to insult thousands of dead soldiers by burning a poppy or burn the flags of sovereign nations. Likewise you can deface a bible and insult Christians till you are blue in the face, or hurl abuse at the non-religious, Jews, Hindus, Sikhs or whomever you like if so inclined. Just don't insult Islam or Muslims is the message we have now from the UK Judiciary - correct me if I am wrong but doesn't that make them proxy agents for Sharia law?

N.

Blue Cat Apr 19th 2011 5:19 am

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 9313262)

See anything like this, Islamic fundy-mentalists and the Westboro Baptist church who picket US soldiers' funerals...they use and abuse the freedom of speech, but would quickly take everyone else's away. They cry foul when people criticise their fairy-tale beliefs, and say they want to keep their rights to promote bigotry and hatred in the name of God/Allah/The tooth fairy....

because of America's approval of troops in Afghanistan.

littlejimmy Apr 19th 2011 5:22 am

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 9313273)
Exactly...but what is worrying about this is that the UK courts now support the silencing of free expression if someone looks likely to offend Islam.

No problem if you want to insult thousands of dead soldiers by burning a poppy or burn the flags of sovereign nations. Likewise you can deface a bible and insult Christians till you are blue in the face, or hurl abuse at the non-religious, Jews, Hindus, Sikhs or whomever you like if so inclined. Just don't insult Islam or Muslims is the message we have now from the UK Judiciary - correct me if I am wrong but doesn't that make them proxy agents for Sharia law?

N.

Nah, they're just shit scared of upsetting the mad mullahs who might rile up their rent-a-mobs who might burn embassies down and then it might all kick off in the Middle East and then we'd have no oil...

Something like that.

littlejimmy Apr 19th 2011 5:23 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 9313276)
because of America's approval of troops in Afghanistan.

I'd have thought they'd burn the Union flag in the UK, not the stars and stripes, but there we go.

Meow Apr 19th 2011 5:45 am

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 9313286)
I'd have thought they'd burn the Union flag in the UK, not the stars and stripes, but there we go.

They are a bunch of brain-washed morons. Thinking and logic are not high on their agendas.

littlejimmy Apr 19th 2011 5:48 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 9313318)
They are a bunch of brain-washed morons. Thinking and logic are not high on their agendas.

I sense an opportunity here..."Offending the UK for Dummies"...

Meow Apr 19th 2011 5:52 am

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 9313323)
I sense an opportunity here..."Offending the UK for Dummies"...

:) A picture book perhaps?

Of course, there are an awful lot of people everywhere (at both ends of the spectrum) who almost take pleasure in being offended and practically seek out offence. ;)

Whilst these Islam4UK are rude and ignorant, I pity them for their ridiculous beliefs, lack of sensitivity and pathetic lives. I refuse to allow them the power to make me angry.

littlejimmy Apr 19th 2011 5:54 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 9313329)
:) A picture book perhaps?

Of course, there are an awful lot of people everywhere (at both ends of the spectrum) who almost take pleasure in being offended and practically seek out offence. ;)

Whilst these Islam4UK are rude and ignorant, I pity them for their ridiculous beliefs, lack of sensitivity and pathetic lives. I refuse to allow them the power to make me angry.

Exactly. Don't even give them the oxygen of publicity they so desperately crave. Ignore them, or even better, just point and laugh.

Bahtatboy Apr 19th 2011 8:47 am

Norm, that's not like you. Read the whole thing.

"Ryan then continued to shout abuse about the Muslim faith as he held the burning book, before he threw it to the floor and walked away, the court heard."

Shouting abuse in public about any faith is illegal in the UK, and rightly so. To parade this as "man sent to prison for burning the Koran" is just the distortion the likes of the Daily Mail want.

Burning poppies isn't a crime, but it shouldn't be beyond the wit of their Lordships to create a law which does make it illegal.

Norm_uk Apr 19th 2011 9:26 am

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 9313282)
Nah, they're just shit scared of upsetting the mad mullahs who might rile up their rent-a-mobs who might burn embassies down and then it might all kick off in the Middle East and then we'd have no oil...

Something like that.

So it's a clear case of capitulation and appeasement. We tried that with Hitler and look where it got us...

Seems we're doing it all over again. Allowing people who's political and religious sensibilities belong firmly in the 7th century to dictate their will to the establishment.

Am I the only one thinking we are putting the ingredients together for a future civil war, and giving other extremists (like neo-Nazis) more power in the process?

N.

littlejimmy Apr 19th 2011 9:33 am

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 9313595)
So it's a clear case of capitulation and appeasement. We tried that with Hitler and look where it got us...

Seems we're doing it all over again. Allowing people who's political and religious sensibilities belong firmly in the 7th century to dictate their will to the establishment.

Am I the only one thinking we are putting the ingredients together for a future civil war, and giving other extremists (like neo-Nazis) more power in the process?

N.

Yes, because we're stupid apes that learned to make guns but who never learn from history. Yours, self-loathingly...

Boomhauer Apr 19th 2011 9:54 am

So one can't criticises an ideology that demonizes/hates other cultures. This is like being charged for criticsing the Klan or Slavery. Just utter BS!