Freedom of Speech

Old Sep 15th 2010, 6:53 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Freedom of Speech

Pregnant nun advert:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11300552

The ASA said in its ruling: "We considered the use of a nun pregnant through immaculate conception was likely to be seen as a distortion and mockery of the beliefs of Roman Catholics.

"We concluded that to use such an image in a lighthearted way to advertise ice cream was likely to cause serious offence to readers, particularly those who practised the Roman Catholic faith."

Interesting...
Old Sep 19th 2010, 8:17 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Freedom of Speech

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Pregnant nun advert:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11300552

The ASA said in its ruling: "We considered the use of a nun pregnant through immaculate conception was likely to be seen as a distortion and mockery of the beliefs of Roman Catholics.

"We concluded that to use such an image in a lighthearted way to advertise ice cream was likely to cause serious offence to readers, particularly those who practised the Roman Catholic faith."

Interesting...
Seems more and more we are living in an age where people are scared to offend anyone who believes in unprovable and often repressive and backwards ideologies.

I am quite certain people who profess these faiths have few qualms about offending millions of secularists, atheists, and minority beliefs and creeds. Indeed, history shows they have been happy to repress and scourge.

And meanwhile the UK taxpayer picked up half the bill for the Pope to visit and slander secularism and the decline of stupidity...I mean belief cough cough.

N.
Old Sep 19th 2010, 8:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Well then how about leveling Hate Crime charges against various religons, all known to promote tribalism/racism, homophobia and bigotry.

Soo very hypocritical that major religions are given carte blanche to preach and promote hate but god forbid anyone criticize them.
Old Sep 19th 2010, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

Dilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud of

This self censoring is nauseating. Religion should be practiced in private, at least that is what I believe should be done in a free democratic country. But maybe I am just too blonde to understand the concept of freedom.
BTW on the 30th of September Flemming Rose(the culture editor of this famous danish newspaper who printed certain cartoons) is publishing a book, where he explains what lead to the crisis and those cartoons are apparently in the book again. I don't like that either.