British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Free Time (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/free-time-674351/)

shikra Jun 28th 2010 2:00 pm

Free Time

Hi Guys,

Was just wondering how one manages to pass his/her free time (after office hours, week-ends). Leaving the necessities like dinner etc, what do you guys do in your Leisure hours?
My activities include going out with friends to Corniche, or if there is a high priority football match than hit a Sheesha Spot along with the Cards to play bluff... when the game goes boring....
That's it, this is all what I am doing from the last one year! :o
How about the rest of you guys?

norsk Jun 28th 2010 2:17 pm

Re: Free Time

Originally Posted by shikra (Post 8662857)
Hi Guys,

Was just wondering how one manages to pass his/her free time (after office hours, week-ends). Leaving the necessities like dinner etc, what do you guys do in your Leisure hours?
My activities include going out with friends to Corniche, or if there is a high priority football match than hit a Sheesha Spot along with the Cards to play bluff... when the game goes boring....
That's it, this is all what I am doing from the last one year! :o
How about the rest of you guys?

I was the same as you until my family arrived. Now I barely have 5 minutes to myself...:blink:

shikra Jun 28th 2010 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by norsk (Post 8662901)
I was the same as you until my family arrived. Now I barely have 5 minutes to myself...:blink:

Ahh....those days being single...I am just experiencing them :)

But seriously, one starts feeling sick with this Being-single attitude after some time..:zzz:

Norsk...any suggestions to get out of it without having a family :cool:

commander Jun 28th 2010 2:30 pm

friday mornings are spent cycling and running around Saadyat Island, albeit at this time of year its getting earlier and shorter durations.

Saturday mornings are spent swimming at Al Bateen Beach

Tuesday nights are spent at the F1 circuit cycling.

most other nights are spent sleeping/resting/eating with family

I go running down the Corniche every wednesday and thursday morning before work. Fishmarket to flagpole and back is 21.5K. (although its far to hot to do that nowadays)

If i didnt do this sport i really dont know how i would pass the time to be honest. There are only so many malls to visit. I guess i would have found something else that captures my interest.

We do have the rotana rewards card and as a family we use that quite a lot.

Bahtatboy Jun 28th 2010 3:10 pm

Ally Pally, 49er's, Blitz, The Trap. Spare time? You gotta be joking!:D

commander Jun 28th 2010 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 8663009)

the trap...now that is scraping the bottom of a very deep barrel.

Grace O Malley Jun 28th 2010 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by commander (Post 8663012)
the trap...now that is scraping the bottom of a very deep barrel.

all the bars here are at the bottom of a very deep barrel.

commander Jun 28th 2010 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by Grace O Malley (Post 8663031)
all the bars here are at the bottom of a very deep barrel.

dunno, some at the shangri la are okay and coopers bar at the Rotana is fast about to become my local..

Birdeez Jun 28th 2010 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by commander (Post 8663211)
dunno, some at the shangri la are okay and coopers bar at the Rotana is fast about to become my local..

I agree, but the service at Coopers leaves a LOT to be desired! two barmen on each side of the bar during World Cup matches when the place is rammed ? Please.
Being charged for food when you've only ordered two drinks, practically made to feel like a criminal when you sit on a table which is apparently 'reserved' even though there's no sign, and then sit at the table next to it and watch while that 'reserved' table lays empty for the next two hours...just a few of my recent experiences there.
Other than that it's a great bar and has filled that void of a bar in AD that is consistently busy and has proper atmosphere - on this side of the island anyway.

commander Jun 28th 2010 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by Birdeez (Post 8663278)
I agree, but the service at Coopers leaves a LOT to be desired! two barmen on each side of the bar during World Cup matches when the place is rammed ? Please.
Being charged for food when you've only ordered two drinks, practically made to feel like a criminal when you sit on a table which is apparently 'reserved' even though there's no sign, and then sit at the table next to it and watch while that 'reserved' table lays empty for the next two hours...just a few of my recent experiences there.
Other than that it's a great bar and has filled that void of a bar in AD that is consistently busy and has proper atmosphere - on this side of the island anyway.

yea, gotta agree with that. I took my wife to Teatro's the other night for dinner. We arrived early so popped into Coopers to see the last 15minutes of the England game against algeria. took forever to get a beer, i checked my tab and was charged for 3 drinks..total confusion.

it is a good bar, and on a weekend we go for tea with my toddler, kids need to be out at 6. Johnson is my numero uno waiter..:thumbup:

Grace O Malley Jun 28th 2010 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by commander (Post 8663211)

where at the shangri la? Usually full of BSAK kids. Went to frankies at Fairmont and the bar upstairs, not too bad.

Coopers bar will have to try, but you gotta admit, bars in AD city are just awful, even Hemingways which i thought was not a bad place, is a pit now

Millhouse Jun 28th 2010 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 8663009)

Oh the Trap Bar... happy memories - we used to go there for pizzas at lunchtimes before meetings just around the corner. The place is "interesting" from lunchtime onwards.

shikra Jun 29th 2010 12:18 pm

Sadly, no bars in Saudia :(

Have been thinking from a long time to visit Ritz Carlton Resort in Bahrain. I have heard they charge separately for using their beach, which is reasonable, around 7 Bahraini Dinars. Anybody having Ritz experience here?