Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Free Sammy The Whale Shark!! - Boycott Atlantis

Free Sammy The Whale Shark!! - Boycott Atlantis

Old Feb 15th 2009, 9:16 am
100% British Beef

Bison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Free Sammy The Whale Shark!! - Boycott Atlantis

Why don't all animales in each Zoo around the world be free
That is a good point, there are many reasons for this, but generally they are no endangered species that are being held captive.

In a large number of cases, the zoo's themselves that hold endangered wildlife are nursing them better from injury or illness or breading them to be released back into the wild habitat.

In the case of Sammy, she should really be released, end of story.

Bison
Old Feb 15th 2009, 9:23 am
Banned

Beard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bison
That is a good point, there are many reasons for this, but generally they are no endangered species that are being held captive.

In a large number of cases, the zoo's themselves that hold endangered wildlife are nursing them better from injury or illness or breading them to be released back into the wild habitat.

In the case of Sammy, she should really be released, end of story.

Bison

how i see it .. if there are endangered animals they should be kept a way until the become more and then release them to the wild life....

in Atlantis aren't they going to take care of this animal ?? i don't think they will keep it if they don't have the equipment and experinced people to do so ..who knows maybe they will manage to make a good Proliferation or what ever it is called before they release it again with many more not just one.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 9:37 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beard Man
how i see it .. if there are endangered animals they should be kept a way until the become more and then release them to the wild life....

in Atlantis aren't they going to take care of this animal ?? i don't think they will keep it if they don't have the equipment and experinced people to do so ..who knows maybe they will manage to make a good Proliferation or what ever it is called before they release it again with many more not just one.
Unless it is the immaculate conception, the whale will not have any offspring whilst trapped in that gaudy hotel.

It feeds off plankton - I'm not sure if/how they can sustain this diet in the aquarium. Keeping it in an aquarium can only cause stress for the poor thing.

Atlantis have the whale there for one reason only - publicity. Unfortunately for them this seems to be ever more negative.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 9:48 am
Banned

Beard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond reputeBeard Man has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
Unless it is the immaculate conception, the whale will not have any offspring whilst trapped in that gaudy hotel.

It feeds off plankton - I'm not sure if/how they can sustain this diet in the aquarium. Keeping it in an aquarium can only cause stress for the poor thing.

Atlantis have the whale there for one reason only - publicity. Unfortunately for them this seems to be ever more negative.

maybe you they are planning to bring a male one two .. who knows

but then ... how are those dolphines trapped as well as the whales for the water shows and it is fine with many people

i am not saying it is a good idea to keep any animal captured but ... what is so different about the Zoo and what atlantis is doing (Assuming they are providing that animal with an enviorment that is close or similar to his own) ...

having in mind that even Zoos can't provide the captured animals with 100% similar enviornment ...
Old Feb 15th 2009, 10:02 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

we have mates over at the moment so took them to atlantis, I buggered off to play footy but they went in to the aquarium, said it was ok.....but not worth AED 100 thats for sure.

And why is th Atlantis painted that colour? its AWFUL.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 10:23 am
100% British Beef

Bison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond repute

what is so different about the Zoo and what atlantis is doing (Assuming they are providing that animal with an enviorment that is close or similar to his own) ...
This is mine and the rest of the people on this planet that care about Sammy's welfares point, they are not providing that animal with an environment that is remotley similar to it's own!!

The tank it is in is far to small and causes immense stress, this is why it will die in that hotel!!

Are you so blind to see this?

Bison
Old Feb 15th 2009, 10:24 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beard Man
maybe you they are planning to bring a male one two .. who knows

but then ... how are those dolphines trapped as well as the whales for the water shows and it is fine with many people

i am not saying it is a good idea to keep any animal captured but ... what is so different about the Zoo and what atlantis is doing (Assuming they are providing that animal with an enviorment that is close or similar to his own) ...

having in mind that even Zoos can't provide the captured animals with 100% similar enviornment ...
I'm totally against the dolphins as well. They came (according to report I read) illegally from Solomon Islands and should never have been taken by the Atlantis.

I've can't remember when I last visited a zoo, and by all accounts the conditions in Dubai zoo are terrible. If they have breeding programs with the aim being to re-introduce animals back to the wild all good and well. Why can't people just be happy with what they see on National Geographic channel?
Old Feb 15th 2009, 10:29 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm totally against the dolphins as well. They came (according to report I read) illegally from Solomon Islands and should never have been taken by the Atlantis.

I've can't remember when I last visited a zoo, and by all accounts the conditions in Dubai zoo are terrible. If they have breeding programs with the aim being to re-introduce animals back to the wild all good and well. Why can't people just be happy with what they see on National Geographic channel?
it's all done in the name of entertainment fella, get the tourists over and show them cool things you know? And hey if some of them get stressed and die, well they can always get some more.....the wankers.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 10:38 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

I'm boycotting Atlantis... for what it's worth.

Apparently the Atlantis staff found Sammy swimming around "in distress" - sure, all that open water must be terrifying - and so brought him/her in to a nice, luxury environment full of entertainment and a variety of activities, where they could make sure s/he was all right... and make lots of money.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 10:42 am
Big Member

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
I'm boycotting Atlantis... for what it's worth.

Apparently the Atlantis staff found Sammy swimming around "in distress" - sure, all that open water must be terrifying - and so brought him/her in to a nice, luxury environment full of entertainment and a variety of activities, where they could make sure s/he was all right... and make lots of money.
That and the $100k bounty.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 11:40 am
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bison
I never knew they had an 'endangered' species held up there, bloody disgusting!!
In the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) "Red List of Threatened Species", the Whale Shark is listed as "Vulnerable", which indicates the species is NOT endangered. The main pressures are from unregulated fisheries in China, India and The Philippines. Stop targeted fishing and their population numbers will increase and no longer be classified as a threatened species.

Notwithstanding, I agree that Sammy should be set free in the near future (which Atlantis Hotel owners intend to do), as many captive whale sharks do not survive well in aquaria. Some only for a few years (depending on health at time of capture) and up to about 12 years. In the wild, they become sexually mature at about age 30 years and may live to 100+ years.

In aquaria they are typically fed a diet of a mixture of krill, squid and fish sprats, but only periodically -- in contrast to their almost continual mode of feeding in the seas and oceans.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 5:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MacScot
In the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) "Red List of Threatened Species", the Whale Shark is listed as "Vulnerable", which indicates the species is NOT endangered. The main pressures are from unregulated fisheries in China, India and The Philippines. Stop targeted fishing and their population numbers will increase and no longer be classified as a threatened species.

Notwithstanding, I agree that Sammy should be set free in the near future (which Atlantis Hotel owners intend to do), as many captive whale sharks do not survive well in aquaria. Some only for a few years (depending on health at time of capture) and up to about 12 years. In the wild, they become sexually mature at about age 30 years and may live to 100+ years.

In aquaria they are typically fed a diet of a mixture of krill, squid and fish sprats, but only periodically -- in contrast to their almost continual mode of feeding in the seas and oceans.
Sexually mature...Doggy style must be their favourite...
Old Feb 16th 2009, 4:48 am
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Confucius
Sexually mature...Doggy style must be their favourite...
..naw...missionary position only...