British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Free Sammy The Whale Shark!! - Boycott Atlantis (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/free-sammy-whale-shark-boycott-atlantis-590997/)

Bison Feb 12th 2009 10:42 am

Free Sammy The Whale Shark!! - Boycott Atlantis

I never knew they had an 'endangered' species held up there, bloody disgusting!!

Dubai: The world has not forgotten. Sammy the whale shark and his gilded captivity still matters. Organisations have added momentum to Gulf News' 'Free Sammy' campaign with an open letter appealing for the release of the animal.

Sammy has now been in captivity for over 160 days. The campaign was wound down on January 16 with a final call to "not let the whale shark be forgotten".

Lisa Shrake Perry, programme manager for EWS-WWF (Emirates Wildlife Society in association with the World Wide Fund for Nature), said: "Since the beginning [September], we have given interviews and called for the whale shark to be released. But, our messages were never returned by Atlantis.

"So, we thought we would collectively write a letter signed by national and international organisations, so they understand that there is a lot of weight to it."

The signatures include representation from the International Fund for Animal Welfare (IFAW), Emirates Environmental Group (EEG) and EWS-WWF.

The open letter states that the whale shark is a "threatened species" and explains that taking an animal, which is a potential breeder out of its natural habitat further weakens the whale shark population.

Beard Man Feb 12th 2009 10:46 am

Re: Free Sammy The Whale Shark!! - Boycott Atlantis

Originally Posted by Bison (Post 7277583)
I never knew they had an 'endangered' species held up there, bloody disgusting!!

but wouldn't it be nice to protect it?

Bison Feb 12th 2009 10:51 am

but wouldn't it be nice to protect it?
No!!!

He is not protected in there, he cannot survive, he will die in that tank, it is not big enough, therefore it is not protection it is a death sentance!

And even if it were protection, he is endangered meaning that by him being in there, he will not be able to mate and have offspring to keep the species alive, so really by protecting him increases the chances of wiping out an entire species!!

Bison

BangleMan Feb 12th 2009 11:15 am

Can it wait until I have taken the kids there a few times next week ?

pauldxb Feb 12th 2009 11:17 am

I agrre free SAMMY ! I havnt been & wouldnt go to Atlantis anyway

Charismatic Feb 12th 2009 12:02 pm

Not that endangered though is it? To maintain a healthy population in terms of genetic diversity you need approx. 300 individuals (150 breeding pairs) :).

Edit: And didn't Gulf news say it was going to be put back once tagged and observed by naturalists?

DaWarrior Feb 12th 2009 3:45 pm

For once I thought I read "Free Sammy Davis!"

seraphnina Feb 13th 2009 2:28 am

Originally Posted by Bison (Post 7277605)
No!!!

He is not protected in there, he cannot survive, he will die in that tank, it is not big enough, therefore it is not protection it is a death sentance!

And even if it were protection, he is endangered meaning that by him being in there, he will not be able to mate and have offspring to keep the species alive, so really by protecting him increases the chances of wiping out an entire species!!

Bison

He is a she and thats why its important she is released plus all the rest.:wub:

Inselaffen Feb 13th 2009 3:12 am

they would probably just eat his/her fins here

Confucius Feb 13th 2009 4:52 am

That's a new Nigerian scam that's going on since 4-5 months now...
Don't give them your banking details...

The Dean Feb 13th 2009 5:27 am

Originally Posted by Bison (Post 7277605)
No!!!

Bison

Yea but the problem is that whale sharks don't care who they mate with.

They even marry their own cousins and all that..........

commander Feb 13th 2009 7:35 am

Like the welsh.....

weescot Feb 13th 2009 8:01 am

Good thread. As a SCUBA diver, it broke my heart to see Sammy in the Atlantis aquarium.

For BE members also on FB, please join this group:

Set The Whale Shark Free From The Atlantis Aquarium Dubai.

...over 22,000 members now and keeping up the pressure to free him!

Confucius Feb 13th 2009 8:20 am

Originally Posted by weescot (Post 7281101)
Good thread. As a SCUBA diver, it broke my heart to see Sammy in the Atlantis aquarium.

For BE members also on FB, please join this group:

Set The Whale Shark Free From The Atlantis Aquarium Dubai.

...over 22,000 members now and keeping up the pressure to free him!

It's all futile...Unless the government does something about it, he/it will be a resident for a while there...

Meow Feb 13th 2009 9:52 am

Maybe if the government was persuaded that having a whale shark in captivity was bad for Dubai's image they might do something about it.

-