British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Freddie Mercury, The Legend (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/freddie-mercury-legend-705899/)

lionheart Feb 18th 2011 8:05 am

Freddie Mercury, The Legend

A very interesting and revealing article about Freddie from a life long friend. I certainly didn't know that he committed suicide and that he left most of his estate to a lifelong female friend and former lover. A great performer.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...unted-him.html

Sandboy Feb 18th 2011 8:25 am

Re: Freddie Mercury, The Legend

dreadful

pantomine act

lionheart Feb 18th 2011 8:48 am

Originally Posted by Sandboy (Post 9184935)
dreadful
pantomine act

Each to his own. I think that Sunderland is the asshole of the north, but then I evidently have no taste either.

Blue Cat Feb 18th 2011 11:02 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 9184980)
Each to his own. I think that Sunderland is the asshole of the north, but then I evidently have no taste either.

you have taste :eek: massive Freddie Mercury fan :thumbsup:

GuyinUAE Feb 18th 2011 11:40 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 9185225)
you have taste :eek: massive Freddie Mercury fan :thumbsup:

Me too! It was always well known about his relationship with Mary Austin. Although, he didn't actually commit suicide, he purely decided not to take the pills keeping him alive, which isn't really the same thing is it?

Sandboy Feb 18th 2011 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 9184980)

I tend to agree, it's a shithole - fortunately I'm not from there so your horrid remarks didn't upset me too much

Blue Cat Feb 18th 2011 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by GuyinUAE (Post 9185282)
Me too! It was always well known about his relationship with Mary Austin. Although, he didn't actually commit suicide, he purely decided not to take the pills keeping him alive, which isn't really the same thing is it?

Who wants to live forever ....

Hello.Kitty Feb 18th 2011 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 9185358)
Who wants to live forever ....

aww, that one always brings a tear to my eye!

I remember seeing a documentary about him a/o Queen and at one point they were just doing some rehearsals or warming up in a completely normal room, then Freddie breaks into song and the volume of his voice drowns out all the others. Quite awesome.

nottmbantam Feb 18th 2011 3:31 pm

Saw Queen live in concert, Elland Road, 1982. Was mere youth then, and just glad I managed to see him perform live.

Supporting acts were Teardrop Explodes ( who literally got boo-ed off stage, shame ) Heart and Joan Jet and the Blackhearts.

Who Wants To Live Forever was, IIRC, from the Highlander soundtrack. Loved that film, used to watch it over and over again.

Bahtatboy Feb 18th 2011 5:16 pm

He's not dead, is he?

Blue Cat Feb 19th 2011 4:22 am

Originally Posted by nottmbantam (Post 9185710)
Saw Queen live in concert, Elland Road, 1982. Was mere youth then, and just glad I managed to see him perform live.

Supporting acts were Teardrop Explodes ( who literally got boo-ed off stage, shame ) Heart and Joan Jet and the Blackhearts.

Who Wants To Live Forever was, IIRC, from the Highlander soundtrack. Loved that film, used to watch it over and over again.

has got to be one of the biggest regrets in my life, not seeing them live :(

GuyinUAE Feb 19th 2011 6:52 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 9186864)
has got to be one of the biggest regrets in my life, not seeing them live :(

Yep, mine too, although my folks saw them a few times in the early 70's. Closest I ever came to meeting one of my biggest musical influences was when a guy came to book his wifes car in, told me her name......Bulsara. She was his cousin.

Blue Cat Feb 19th 2011 9:56 am

Originally Posted by GuyinUAE (Post 9186999)
Yep, mine too, although my folks saw them a few times in the early 70's. Closest I ever came to meeting one of my biggest musical influences was when a guy came to book his wifes car in, told me her name......Bulsara. She was his cousin.

did you see them when they were here with Paul Rodgers?

kittycat1 Feb 19th 2011 1:18 pm

Awesome talent

Sherlock Holmes Feb 19th 2011 1:22 pm

Too much love will kill you - all the time.

Freddie, Queen, best rock group EVER.:)

kittycat1 Feb 19th 2011 1:31 pm

Just to go off topic a little, why is suicide seen as such a bad thing, living with a terminal illness, whether that be aids or depression or any number of illnesses physical and mental, is one persons personal battle- if they choose they can't continue any more what place does anyone else have to judge them?

GuyinUAE Feb 21st 2011 6:18 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 9187256)
did you see them when they were here with Paul Rodgers?

Nope, thought about it, but just would not have been the same to me.

Blue Cat Feb 21st 2011 6:35 am

Originally Posted by GuyinUAE (Post 9190627)
Nope, thought about it, but just would not have been the same to me.

it was absolutely fantastic!! I felt the same about going but loved every single minute of it, I have the DVD of the tour, you should get it :thumbup:

The Dean Feb 21st 2011 12:59 pm

My brother was on a business trip to Tokyo when Mercury died.

In a taxi, the driver was listening to an English language music channel, and my brother heard the DJ say:

".....and now, as a tribute to the great Freddie Mercury who died yesterday, here is one of Queen's biggest hits......."

The rather unfortunate choice of song?

"Another One Bites The Dust" :huh: