Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

France set to ban the niqab and burka

France set to ban the niqab and burka

Old Jul 18th 2010, 10:23 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: France set to ban the niqab and burka

HOWEVER (yes, I am shouting, above the din) several bars I've been to in AD have a notice on the door: No National Dress.

Argue that one.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

mathematist will become famous soon enough

Of all of the world's and Europe's problems, you are all correct, it's the 5cm small burka and niqab cloth that's the cause of today's woes.

I can see in a few years or even months, the beard will be banned to the western world, only for Muslims though as Sikhs and Orthodox Jews are OK.

Let's see, hmmm what else should be banned? Lets ban halal meat whilst we're at it, hmmm, looks like we're turning into a police state just like the 200 cameras setup in Birmingham in Muslim areas only.

If only the pathetic Arab rulers with their trillions would take a stand and threaten to take their money out of the Western economies if such clear anti-Islam policies were implemented , then the ministers wouldn't even contemplate about this...

These policies my friends, are likely to push more people to the fringe, NOT integrate people as you would like.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 10:57 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mathematist
Of all of the world's and Europe's problems, you are all correct, it's the 5cm small burka and niqab cloth that's the cause of today's woes.

I can see in a few years or even months, the beard will be banned to the western world, only for Muslims though as Sikhs and Orthodox Jews are OK.

Let's see, hmmm what else should be banned? Lets ban halal meat whilst we're at it, hmmm, looks like we're turning into a police state just like the 200 cameras setup in Birmingham in Muslim areas only.

If only the pathetic Arab rulers with their trillions would take a stand and threaten to take their money out of the Western economies if such clear anti-Islam policies were implemented , then the ministers wouldn't even contemplate about this...

These policies my friends, are likely to push more people to the fringe, NOT integrate people as you would like.
Mish-mash of sense and nonsense, as usual.

Yes, marginalising people will more likely push them to the fringe--but the people its aimed at largely don't want to integrate. You go through parts of the UK where immigrants are by-and-large unrestricted, and try to spot the integration. (As it happens I'm dead against the burqa ban; it will never happen in the UK.)

200 cameras in "muslim-only areas"? Don't be stupid AND blind. There are security cameras all over the country. If the security forces have reason to believe that certain areas or communities are a threat to security, then they have the right to put up both overt and covert cameras. I'm appalled at the catipulation of the police in respect of the recent situation in Birmingham. If you've nothing to hide, what's the issue with a security camera? If most home-grown terrorists come from predominantly muslim areas, then ****ing right there should be cameras there. I just hope it was all a publicity stunt and in fact the covert cameras are still there.

Anti-Islam policies? But I bet you want the west to continue to deal with muslim nations, where other religions are either banned or their followers persecuted or severely restricted in how they follow their religions. Try building a church in downtown Abu Dhabi and having the bells peel every Sunday.

Yeah, let's ban halal meat, coz I can't eat a pork pie in Saudi.

And if you think its the policies of the western democracies which stop many muslims integrating into western societies you're a bigger twat than you've so far demonstrated.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 12:32 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
Now you're just being facetious.

I wear clogs and berets everywhere I go.
With a kilt to hide your modesty I hope!
Old Jul 18th 2010, 12:44 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
HOWEVER (yes, I am shouting, above the din) several bars I've been to in AD have a notice on the door: No National Dress.
Argue that one.
The argument presumably being that those wearing Arab National Dress are likely to be of the Islamic faith and therefore not allowed to consume alcohol.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 12:47 pm
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by lionheart
The argument presumably being that those wearing Arab National Dress are likely to be of the Islamic faith and therefore not allowed to consume alcohol.
They could drink Coke. Everything goes with Coke.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 2:36 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

They could drink Coke. Everything goes with Coke.
Yep. My figure did.

On the national dress issue, I remember a local guy being asked to leave Scarlett's at Emirates Towers at 9pm. He didn't even bat an eyelid.

As for the "let's ban halal meat cos I can't get a pork pie in Saudi" argument, you need to ask yourself how far down that line you want to go, because we are nothing like Saudi Arabia, and nor should we want to be, especially in such tit-for-tat scenarios.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 3:06 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Yep. My figure did.

On the national dress issue, I remember a local guy being asked to leave Scarlett's at Emirates Towers at 9pm. He didn't even bat an eyelid.

As for the "let's ban halal meat cos I can't get a pork pie in Saudi" argument, you need to ask yourself how far down that line you want to go, because we are nothing like Saudi Arabia, and nor should we want to be, especially in such tit-for-tat scenarios.
Indeed there's no need to sink down to their level but at the same time we need to say we're not really going to allow them to spread the late iron age beliefs in our post enlightenment culture anymore. Just a few broad lines in the sand, nothing even close to what they do.

Halal meat could be banned though under public health and animal cruelty laws...it's not the quickest or most humane method of slaughter available. I would also say the same for Kosher slaugtering. I'd be more up for banning circumcision as medically completely unnessesary in the 21st century and so therefore cosmetic in nature...which means only people above 16 years can get it done at their own expense. 75% of the world doesn't do it and we all manage just fine. It's child abuse let's face it - we are already stamping out mutilation of little girls so let's protect little boys too.

Remember, vote Norm...I'll fix everything.

N.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

the no national dress in bars thing is to protect the image of the national dress or something like that.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 5:12 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Indeed there's no need to sink down to their level but at the same time we need to say we're not really going to allow them to spread the late iron age beliefs in our post enlightenment culture anymore. Just a few broad lines in the sand, nothing even close to what they do.

Halal meat could be banned though under public health and animal cruelty laws...it's not the quickest or most humane method of slaughter available. I would also say the same for Kosher slaugtering. I'd be more up for banning circumcision as medically completely unnessesary in the 21st century and so therefore cosmetic in nature...which means only people above 16 years can get it done at their own expense. 75% of the world doesn't do it and we all manage just fine. It's child abuse let's face it - we are already stamping out mutilation of little girls so let's protect little boys too.

N.
i'll only vote for you if you grow a little moustache.

In all seriousness, you'd never get away with all that banning. Freedom of thought and expression and all that...of course I realise the irony of it all. It only applies one way. Religions get special dispensation to be anti-gay, anti-women and everything else.

Last edited by littlejimmy; Jul 18th 2010 at 5:15 pm.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 5:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk

N.
I agree with you there, Norm.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 7:33 pm

i'll only vote for you if you grow a little moustache.

In all seriousness, you'd never get away with all that banning. Freedom of thought and expression and all that...of course I realise the irony of it all. It only applies one way. Religions get special dispensation to be anti-gay, anti-women and everything else.
I actually grew a tash for Movember...but it was a Colonel Sanders style one hehe.

Freedom of expression to chop bits of kiddies willies - you are right that religions get a special dispensation to be anti-gay and all that...which is why most religions get special treatment from me. To be fair it's mostly the Abrahamic ones that irk me - they literally have gotten away with murder, child molestation, child mutilation, animal cruelty, mental cruelty, slander and slavery.

Perhaps this November I will grow a small tash - am sure my German flatmate will be incredibly impressed!

N.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 10:04 pm
Excess Baggage

It's bizarre. We're expected to believe that the same entity who created this universe also has a fixation on hats, genitals and dietary habits.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 7:04 am
Hit 16's

Yeah, let's ban halal meat, coz I can't eat a pork pie in Saudi.
You have all failed yesterday's spot-the-sarcasm test.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 9:47 am
Excess Baggage

You have all failed yesterday's spot-the-sarcasm test.
I wasn't sure. You're a hard fellow to read.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.