Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

France set to ban the niqab and burka

France set to ban the niqab and burka

Old Jul 14th 2010, 12:34 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: France set to ban the niqab and burka

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Ah the old "comment about anything to do with Islam that isn't arse kissing, capitualtion and cultural relativism and you're anti-muslim" trick. I suppose drawing a few very broad lines in Europe to say this is where our values end and begin is just too much for some people to handle isn't it? Funny because over here we are quite happy to acknowledge their values and abide by them.

Still it seems most French MPs and voters agree with me...as they do in Italy, Switzerland, Belgium and coming soon to an EU town near you

N.
It's not like that though, is it? You only need the most tenuous reason to storm into a thread and tell us how evil Muslims are.
Old Jul 14th 2010, 12:36 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
and punished by law when we dont.
Depending on our connections, of course.
Old Jul 14th 2010, 1:02 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

We all know that these garments are as much cultural as religious and that the Qu'ran says nothing about having to wear such items. The burka in particular is a ridiculous outfit and I can see no good reason for its existence.
Old Jul 14th 2010, 1:45 pm
Mary Poppins 4evah!

Umbrella is just really niceUmbrella is just really niceUmbrella is just really niceUmbrella is just really niceUmbrella is just really niceUmbrella is just really niceUmbrella is just really niceUmbrella is just really niceUmbrella is just really niceUmbrella is just really niceUmbrella is just really nice

I vote for the Shayla!

U
Old Jul 14th 2010, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like I'm moving to France!!!
Old Jul 14th 2010, 10:07 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
It's not like that though, is it? You only need the most tenuous reason to storm into a thread and tell us how evil Muslims are.
Actually it is a lot like that.

Stop confusing criticism of a backwards and primitive imperialist ideology with criticism of actual people who come in all shapes and colours. I'd hardly be in the middle east and hanging out with all sorts of different people if I thought Muslims are all "evil" would I?

Anyway my original comment was more an attack on recent general European apathy, self-hate and Islamic ideology than on Muslims as people...so again it's "a lot like that'.

N.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 8:23 am
Excess Baggage

Actually it is a lot like that.

Stop confusing criticism of a backwards and primitive imperialist ideology with criticism of actual people who come in all shapes and colours. I'd hardly be in the middle east and hanging out with all sorts of different people if I thought Muslims are all "evil" would I?

Anyway my original comment was more an attack on recent general European apathy, self-hate and Islamic ideology than on Muslims as people...so again it's "a lot like that'.

N.
OK, I concede that you do attack the ideology more than the actual people. I just think you're getting a reputation on here for taking any opportunity to give Islam a kicking. I'm no fan of bronze-age mythology and its pernicious influence in modern life, either.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

zoukla will become famous soon enough

They are already ablaze.....

Lets see this passed in the UK then............
Old Jul 16th 2010, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

wallydug is just really nicewallydug is just really nicewallydug is just really nicewallydug is just really nicewallydug is just really nicewallydug is just really nicewallydug is just really nicewallydug is just really nicewallydug is just really nice

One, of many, things I remember of my early days in the ME, was not being allowed to wear short sleeved shirt or shorts. I thought it was crazy but complied. Likewise, moslems in Europe should comply to European dress, and any other, requirements. If they don`t like it they can always piss off back home.

Wally.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 8:48 am
Excess Baggage

Originally Posted by wallydug
One, of many, things I remember of my early days in the ME, was not being allowed to wear short sleeved shirt or shorts. I thought it was crazy but complied. Likewise, moslems in Europe should comply to European dress, and any other, requirements. If they don`t like it they can always piss off back home.

Wally.
What is "European dress" exactly? Kilts and lederhosen?

On a side note, I heard this story on the radio this morning. Nearly 1,000 drug arrests. Kinda puts paid to that perpetual myth that Brits always obey the law when abroad.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukp...831ntNwY6OmU_Q
Old Jul 16th 2010, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wallydug

Wally.
What a silly little argument. Where'd you find it, down the shitter?
So badly formed, so unconnected, it barely qualifies as a thought...
Old Jul 16th 2010, 11:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

On a side note, I heard this story on the radio this morning. Nearly 1,000 drug arrests. Kinda puts paid to that perpetual myth that Brits always obey the law when abroad.

How many of them were genuine possession offences? In how many of those cases were the accused given proper legal representation, time to prepare a case, etc?

Treat with very large pinch of salt, I think..............
Old Jul 18th 2010, 7:50 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

OK, I concede that you do attack the ideology more than the actual people. I just think you're getting a reputation on here for taking any opportunity to give Islam a kicking. I'm no fan of bronze-age mythology and its pernicious influence in modern life, either.
I'm responsible for my own words and actions - not the words that others choose to put in my mouth because they are often terrified of causing offense to particular groups of people because of what they choose to or were brainwashed into believing.

I think most of these ideologies and systems need a good kicking - they don't really seem to be giving much benefit to humanity these days so I wonder why we don't work to get rid of them?

N.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 8:23 am

You probably wear European dress everyday. Even a pair of shorts, jeans, an suit, trainers, and everything inbetween would be classed as European or "western". It shows how far gone done the toilet we've gone when we don't know what clothing originated with us. Yes Kilts and Lederhosen too (not worn together I hope...)

Apparently there is European cuisine and even European languages and customs as well. It's shocking isn't it to think that not only ethnic minorities in Europe have culture, clothing and food?

N.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 9:49 am
Excess Baggage

You probably wear European dress everyday. Even a pair of shorts, jeans, an suit, trainers, and everything inbetween would be classed as European or "western". It shows how far gone done the toilet we've gone when we don't know what clothing originated with us. Yes Kilts and Lederhosen too (not worn together I hope...)

Apparently there is European cuisine and even European languages and customs as well. It's shocking isn't it to think that not only ethnic minorities in Europe have culture, clothing and food?

N.
Now you're just being facetious.

I wear clogs and berets everywhere I go.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.