British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   France set to ban the niqab and burka (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/france-set-ban-niqab-burka-676483/)

Bahtatboy Jul 13th 2010 1:36 pm

France set to ban the niqab and burka

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/10611398.stm

I'm not trying to fan glowing embers, its just that the link gives a visual guide to the different types of Islamic headscarves.

Umbrella Jul 13th 2010 2:19 pm

Re: France set to ban the niqab and burka

I vote for the Shayla.

U

Norm_uk Jul 13th 2010 4:02 pm

Is cultural relativism finally beginning to die it's long deserved death in Europe?
Are people waking up to the fact that different values are not always to be tolerated and respected?

Blimey are we...you know...starting to grow some balls? :eek:

What's next? Secular education, rights for women and banning child circumcision? They'll be letting women vote next. What is Eurabia coming to?

littlejimmy Jul 13th 2010 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 8698832)
Is cultural relativism finally beginning to die it's long deserved death in Europe?
Are people waking up to the fact that different values are not always to be tolerated and respected?

Blimey are we...you know...starting to grow some balls? :eek:

What's next? Secular education, rights for women and banning child circumcision? They'll be letting women vote next. What is Eurabia coming to?

like a...
like a...
like a...
stuck record, Norm...

MataHari Jul 13th 2010 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 8699146)
like a...
like a...
like a...
stuck record, Norm...

I am sure he could turn a thread about what is the softest toilet paper into anti muslim debate...

littlejimmy Jul 13th 2010 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 8699155)
I am sure he could turn a thread about what is the softest toilet paper into anti muslim debate...

They use their hands, not toilet paper.

MataHari Jul 13th 2010 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 8699167)
They use their hands, not toilet paper.

dirty bastards...kill, kill them all!

littlejimmy Jul 13th 2010 6:13 pm

I've just coughed yoghurt all over the screen.

And that isn't a euphemism.

Inselaffen Jul 14th 2010 1:43 am

No doubt that most undemocratic of institutions, the EU, will rule that the democratically elected governments in France, Belgium etc are not allowed to ban them.

Hello.Kitty Jul 14th 2010 8:16 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 8699986)
No doubt that most undemocratic of institutions, the EU, will rule that the democratically elected governments in France, Belgium etc are not allowed to ban them.

sure, but France has balls and will kind of ignore what they don't want to hear from Brussels. It's only the UK that sticks to the letter of the EU's rules!

I can't say I disagree with them - I grew up in France, went to school there and yes, there's national pride that demands a certain respect. When they say "it's a secular state" they mean it. Besides, you kind of know you're on a hiding to nothing when you try to oppose basic human rights in the country that invented them.

The Dean Jul 14th 2010 8:34 am

1 Attachment(s)
What about a compromise? :huh:

Norm_uk Jul 14th 2010 8:58 am

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 8699146)
like a...
like a...
like a...
stuck record, Norm...

You're still using records?

N.

Norm_uk Jul 14th 2010 10:10 am

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 8699155)

Ah the old "comment about anything to do with Islam that isn't arse kissing, capitualtion and cultural relativism and you're anti-muslim" trick. I suppose drawing a few very broad lines in Europe to say this is where our values end and begin is just too much for some people to handle isn't it? Funny because over here we are quite happy to acknowledge their values and abide by them.

Still it seems most French MPs and voters agree with me...as they do in Italy, Switzerland, Belgium and coming soon to an EU town near you ;)

N.

shiva Jul 14th 2010 11:22 am

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 8700724)
Ah the old "[I]Funny because over here we are quite happy to acknowledge their values and abide by them.

N.

and punished by law when we dont.

Norm_uk Jul 14th 2010 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 8700844)
and punished by law when we dont.

Quite right too...it's their country after all and it's been said many times we're not forced to come here and can leave anytime we like.

They want to preserve their culture and customs - even the ones we don't agree with. Now in the EU people are asking for the same right. I'd rather see it happen this way from a cultural and social than some nutcase racist party get into power and start telling everyone who is and is not European or worse stilla revival of extremist Christianity like America has been battling against.

N.