British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Foreign spy ‘ordered to defame UAE online’ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/foreign-spy-%E2%80%98ordered-defame-uae-online%E2%80%99-856822/)

shiva Apr 21st 2015 5:33 am

Foreign spy ‘ordered to defame UAE online’

Now this is an interesting story.

My guess is Qatar as the guilty GCC state.

Foreign spy ‘ordered to defame UAE online’ | The National

"An intelligence agent from a GCC country was ordered to spread false information and pictures offensive to the UAE as part of a “military mission”, the Federal Supreme Court has heard.

H H, 33, and four other agents who are being tried in their absence in the court’s State Security Division, are accused of defaming the UAE on Twitter and Instagram by posting insulting pictures of its symbols and Rulers."

"“I got the order late at night, and was on the road soon after,” he said. “As soon as I had made my purchase, I handed J H the recharged Sims.

“I asked him for reasons but was told not to discuss it with him, and he did not tell me if it was for personal or work related use. I do not manage the account and I have never seen the pictures. The only time I saw them was during interrogation.”"

So Saudi, Bahrain or Qatar, Saudi and the UAE have an understanding, Bahrain has UAE troops in it helping keep the peace and Qatar and the UAE have had numerous spats over the last few years.

Five GCC nationals in court for mocking leaders | GulfNews.com

" ‏Five GCC nationals, including a lieutenant, are accused of setting up a website that mocks the UAE’s leaders, the State Security Court heard on Monday.

Of these, only the klieutenant, H.A.H., attended the session. The four other defendants have been summoned but foreign authorities have not responded to the UAE Embassy in the neighbouring country as yet.

The men are believed to have published libellous images of the UAE’s leaders containing false information. The Public Prosecutor at the State Security Court said that the accused, all of whom are security officials in their home country, had entered the UAE several times and purchased mobile phones and SIM cards from telecommunications company etisalat, to use in uploading the libellous information on their website.

“The foreign security authority had even sent one of its agents to the UAE through the Ghuwaifat port before he purchased five etisalat SIM cards for five individual phones for a total of Dh25,000. He filled up the phones with credit, then left the country the same day through the same port,” the prosecution said."

machiavelli had nothing on this lot

edit: having now seen the images in question no wonder they are pissed. Nothing bad for say the west but you can easily see why they'd be seen as horrendously offensive here. Activate your VPN before viewing

Boomhauer Apr 21st 2015 4:00 pm

Re: Foreign spy ‘ordered to defame UAE online’

Where might one see the images;)

shiva Apr 21st 2015 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 11624770)
Where might one see the images;)

mentioned in the national article

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 22nd 2015 5:16 am

Bizarre. Things like this make you realise how careful you need to be out here, one wrong rant on facebook or twatter and boom. World ends.

Let's hope these guys don't get dragged into it;

The five Sims are under men’s names – two from Bangladesh, two Pakistanis and a Filipino.

shiva Apr 22nd 2015 8:12 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11625204)
Bizarre. Things like this make you realise how careful you need to be out here, one wrong rant on facebook or twatter and boom. World ends.

Let's hope these guys don't get dragged into it;

they've probably already been through the wringer poor sods