Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Foreign firms must have HQ in KSA to get KSA gov. contracts

Foreign firms must have HQ in KSA to get KSA gov. contracts

Old Feb 20th 2021, 7:43 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Foreign firms must have HQ in KSA to get KSA gov. contracts

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
Riyadh is the arse end of nowhere, plus was always the most restrictive place in Saudi to live. A camp isn't the arse end of nowhere, it's another 500km up it
You're way out of touch with that statement. Firstly Riyadh today is completely different to Riyadh a year or two ago, let alone 5 or 10 years ago. And to say the most restrictive completely ignores a host of other cities dotted throughout KSA. I live in Buraydah, I think I know. Most restrictive out of the big 3 maybe but these days that means very little
Old Feb 21st 2021, 8:05 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
You're way out of touch with that statement. Firstly Riyadh today is completely different to Riyadh a year or two ago, let alone 5 or 10 years ago. And to say the most restrictive completely ignores a host of other cities dotted throughout KSA. I live in Buraydah, I think I know. Most restrictive out of the big 3 maybe but these days that means very little
My experience only, I always found it the most oppressive compared to other cities especially Jeddah comes to mind (obviously I haven't visited every one horse town). I get that some people have had different experiences to me and a lot of people defend KSA, I find their experiences to be an outlier to the typical experience. Perhaps they have a cushy job, a lively compound etc. etc. but it always seems to be very personal and situational rather than what most others experience. They find something in spite of how the country is rather than something that is part of the country.

So I assume now that there is no family/single segregation in cafes or restaurants, nothing closes during prayer time and people mingle freely in this brave new world full of women drivers too obviously

Last edited by weasel decentral; Feb 21st 2021 at 8:12 am.
Old Feb 21st 2021, 1:32 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

My experience only, I always found it the most oppressive compared to other cities especially Jeddah comes to mind (obviously I haven't visited every one horse town). I get that some people have had different experiences to me and a lot of people defend KSA, I find their experiences to be an outlier to the typical experience. Perhaps they have a cushy job, a lively compound etc. etc. but it always seems to be very personal and situational rather than what most others experience. They find something in spite of how the country is rather than something that is part of the country.

So I assume now that there is no family/single segregation in cafes or restaurants, nothing closes during prayer time and people mingle freely in this brave new world full of women drivers too obviously
Yeah, I see your point but things really have changed. Admittedly I'm not in Jeddah that much, Last time was about 6 months ago but apart from the geographical differences between Riyadh and Jeddah, Jeddah has beaches and the corniche etc I don't see much difference between the two these days. Just going on what I see around me anyway.

Definitely there is no legal requirement for segregation these days although some may still have it by choice. Plenty of places to go where it's all mixed though if you want to perv.

Most places close during prayer, but that would be the same in Jeddah too. But anyway, unless it's a really small store if you're already in then you can stay in.

And yes, believe it or not, more and more women are driving. Obviously no where near equal numbers to men because its going to take time but they're definitely there, and it's not unusual to see them.

With such a young, connected population, it's only a matter of time before things change even further.
Old Feb 21st 2021, 2:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure about Buraydah but I have visited Hail, Abha, Baha and Bisha. And Sharura. I used to enterrtain my Shia students at KFUP with my traveller's tales of going to Sharura which is the Rub Al Khali. It is possoible to be comfortable in any of the smaller towns in KSA. My introduction to KSA was my posting with the Min of Ed to Tabuk in what the Bible describes as "The Land of Midian". 1970, I was 25 years old and plagued by an addiction to alcohol !
Old Feb 22nd 2021, 5:48 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I fully understand it, the same gun was at my head in 2010 when I first moved there except I never harboured ideas of doing better - I knew the market was f**cked. The rational decision was always accept whatever you can get, ride out the storm and as soon as you can get back out of there. In a perfect economic storm that's about the best anyone can do, having an inflated view of your own self worth will just make the pill harder to swallow.
But right now my calculation is X plus because I have the luxury of job security and choice, but as soon as that changes I know I'll be at X minus.
Exactly, whilst you're happy and sorted, it's head down, arse up, crack on and drink heavily at weekends.

Originally Posted by Johnnyboy11
"...not the arse end of nowhere in a camp."
Yeah - in fairness, the only way to still get great cash in KSA. Go to Neom / Al Ula / Red Sea / Amaala etc etc etc.
Old Feb 22nd 2021, 3:43 pm
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

Or head further south, assuming you don't mind the odd missile flying overhead. Both buckets filling up rapidly for old Johnny
Old Feb 23rd 2021, 5:00 am

More here

https://www.arabnews.com/node/1813691/business-economy