British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Forced Vacation KSA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/forced-vacation-ksa-939468/)

35Stuart35 Jul 8th 2021 7:56 am

Forced Vacation KSA

I have a work visit visa and have not taken vacation because of COVID for 2 years. I have been give one shot of AZ vaccine but have no proof because of a problem with Tawalkanna and visit visas.
In a meeting with the Saudi management last week they told me i will lose my vacation at the end of the year if i don't use it up. I said OK, as trip home would involve quarantine in the UK and in the KSA on return. A total of 21 days. Also, as COVID cases are rapidly rising in the UK, i suspect that the KSA will soon block entry for anyone coming from there.
Furthermore, as my contract ends in 3 months, i do not want to take a vacation as unused days will be paid out in full on completion, but the company is trying to pressure me to take time off during the summer break in July/August. My contract does not mention mandatory vacation during these times, so i am wondering of the legality of their actions.

weasel decentral Jul 8th 2021 1:40 pm

Re: Forced Vacation KSA

Originally Posted by 35Stuart35 (Post 13027146)
I have a work visit visa and have not taken vacation because of COVID for 2 years. I have been give one shot of AZ vaccine but have no proof because of a problem with Tawalkanna and visit visas.
In a meeting with the Saudi management last week they told me i will lose my vacation at the end of the year if i don't use it up. I said OK, as trip home would involve quarantine in the UK and in the KSA on return. A total of 21 days. Also, as COVID cases are rapidly rising in the UK, i suspect that the KSA will soon block entry for anyone coming from there.
Furthermore, as my contract ends in 3 months, i do not want to take a vacation as unused days will be paid out in full on completion, but the company is trying to pressure me to take time off during the summer break in July/August. My contract does not mention mandatory vacation during these times, so i am wondering of the legality of their actions.

Whether you have to use up your days or not or carry them forward into the next year is going to be part of the companies leave policy or contract that you signed with them. Some companies allow them to be carried forward or paid out some don't.

HR will only follow what their upper management agree with in KSA - I'd find a higher up to explain your case to and hopefully he will instruct the HR to do the same. Otherwise I'd suggest you will either lose them or be forced to take leave. Are things going slow? Perhaps they are just trying to be cost effective instead of watching you sit around doing nothing and then collect the leave money at the end?

Legality makes no difference here, do you fancy fighting a HR case over leave entitlements in KSA ad infinitum? You make get some moral victory but no cash in your bank account which is ultimately what you want.

35Stuart35 Jul 8th 2021 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 13027256)
Whether you have to use up your days or not or carry them forward into the next year is going to be part of the companies leave policy or contract that you signed with them. Some companies allow them to be carried forward or paid out some don't.

HR will only follow what their upper management agree with in KSA - I'd find a higher up to explain your case to and hopefully he will instruct the HR to do the same. Otherwise I'd suggest you will either lose them or be forced to take leave. Are things going slow? Perhaps they are just trying to be cost effective instead of watching you sit around doing nothing and then collect the leave money at the end?

Legality makes no difference here, do you fancy fighting a HR case over leave entitlements in KSA ad infinitum? You make get some moral victory but no cash in your bank account which is ultimately what you want.

Thanks for your input.
I have already been told by the Managing Director that my vacation days will be lost if i don't take them before the end of the calendar year. This is not a problem as i will be leaving in October and company policy states that unused vacation will be paid out at the end of employment.
Things are a bit slow, but there is always work to do even during the summer break. However, i will not miss this company as it has been slowly removing benefits and the only reason i am still here is because my contract is soon to expire.

scot47 Jul 8th 2021 4:15 pm

ask The Labour Office They ate sympathertic to employees

UKMS Jul 8th 2021 5:47 pm

Many companies in the UAE implemented mandatory use of leave since covid began particularly for those who were being paid to sit at home or twiddle their thumbs ….. it wasn’t in contracts but most just had to suck it up.

HiHo Jul 15th 2021 8:29 am

Stu,
Go on the MoH web site and upload a PDF copy of your vaccination proof (the piece of paper they gave you when you had the jab). A couple of days later the app will be updated. Make sure you are running the latest version of the app by doing and update on it. Don't worry about Quarantine it is seriously underrated, You just need to manage it correctly. Choose a quarantine location correctly. When you get back to the uk email your GP the proof of your first jab and they will update the NHS app that you will need an account on. Get the second jab tell the vaccinator to record it a a second jab and show them the proof and upload it on the KSA MoH site and again a couple of days later the app will update. Keep the record of the second jab just in case the app has not updated by the time you return. When you return no Quarantine needed since you fully vaccinated. Have a nice holiday.