Football...

Old Apr 19th 2010, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

the_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond repute
Default Football...

My Dubai ‘adventure’ is well underway, with most of the teething problems sorted. I’ve stopped trying to work out why anything is the way it is – like why the layout of Dubai Mall car park was designed by someone who’s never been in a car – and subsequently my blood pressure has returned to healthier levels. Thanks to all those who offered advice and insights, all very useful and much appreciated.

Now that I’m settled I’m looking to get more social. So most important thing first – football. I know this has been asked before, but not for a wee while (I think), but does anyone know of any regular 5/7/11 a-side football games, nothing too serious just kick about/jumpers for goalposts stuff?

Also, can anyone recommend any bars that show Premiership and SPL games, preferably reasonably close to Downtown?
Old Apr 20th 2010, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

StublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to all
Default Re: Football...

Depending on what team you support....................... ABZ (im guessing aberdeen by the airport code and the sheep!)

If you head to Al Barsha, to the Golden Tulip hotel. There is a bar called the Locker Room which shows both (however, its one of the bars where the Rangers fans meet (like me) (others include Biggles bar at the millenium airport hotel and Goodfellas at Bur Dubai in the Regent hotel although all the bars are mixed.

But the tulip would only be about 20dhs in a taxi from Downtown i think and it shows around 6/7 games on saturdays at the same time, as does Goodfellas.
Old Apr 20th 2010, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Goodies in Regal Plaza is good for the footy!

too many huns mind ....
Old Apr 20th 2010, 10:39 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Try the Players Lounge at Country Club Hotel, Port Rashid or Waxy O'connors, Ascot Hotel, Bank Street (the comfy lounge upstairs rather than the shitty bar downstairs) both within 10-15 minutes by taxi. Waxy does the full Irish breakfast, five beers and roast lunch for Dhs85 on Saturdays. Spugsy is your man for playing footy at Safa Park on Friday afternoons.
Old Apr 20th 2010, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold

Also, can anyone recommend any bars that show Premiership and SPL games, preferably reasonably close to Downtown?[/QUOTE]

What about that bar with the strange name Nuttuzzi or something like that(Supposed to be made up from NZ, AUS and SA??) in I believe Al Manzil Hotel in Downtown/Old Town area. It is a sports bar apparently although I have never been there!
Old Apr 20th 2010, 4:04 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jim Smith

What about that bar with the strange name Nuttuzzi or something like that(Supposed to be made up from NZ, AUS and SA??) in I believe Al Manzil Hotel in Downtown/Old Town area. It is a sports bar apparently although I have never been there!
Nezesaussi has a load of TVs, I've only been to watch rugby but it's a canny bar with decent food.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 3:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

the_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers for all the suggestions guys - sounds like a pub crawl is in order. Anyone game??

I think I'll try out Nezesaussi first as it would seem to be the closet to a 'local'. I'll report back.

StublueKPL - yes, I'm a Dons fan, so as appealing as a bar full of rangers fans sounds... You never know if I'm feeling brave, stupid, or drunk I might give it a go.

If anyone could recommend a game of footy anywhere that'd be awesome.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 3:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Who's that lying in the corner... Who's that lying....
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 5:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abz_to_dbx
Cheers for all the suggestions guys - sounds like a pub crawl is in order. Anyone game??

I think I'll try out Nezesaussi first as it would seem to be the closet to a 'local'. I'll report back.

StublueKPL - yes, I'm a Dons fan, so as appealing as a bar full of rangers fans sounds... You never know if I'm feeling brave, stupid, or drunk I might give it a go.

If anyone could recommend a game of footy anywhere that'd be awesome.
2 Dons fans on one forum. can't be legal!!

Nezesaussi is a rugby bar so if football clashes with rugby they will show rugby
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 7:35 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inselaffen

Nezesaussi is a rugby bar so if football clashes with rugby they will show rugby
Last time I was in they had rugby on big screens but other sport on the small screens all around the bar (you obviously need a spot near to the bar).
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 4:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Inselaffen

Depends on which forum, if it's www.sheep-flockers.com, then no it's not.

Rugby!! That puts a whole new demonic spin on things, as along with rugby comes "rugby people", a strange breed with funny shaped ears, necks as wide as their heads and impression that a ball doesn't have to be round. Freaks!

However, needs must I suppose.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 4:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brains1983
Who's that lying in the corner... Who's that lying....
Yea............ now what exactly is the history of the Rangers-Aberdeen hatred (it's far more than rivalry)? A Rangers fan who used to be at the British Embassy in Riyadh reckoned he hated Aberdeen almost as much as he hated Celtic.......

Where did this bad blood come from?
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 5:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The Dean
Yea............ now what exactly is the history of the Rangers-Aberdeen hatred (it's far more than rivalry)? A Rangers fan who used to be at the British Embassy in Riyadh reckoned he hated Aberdeen almost as much as he hated Celtic.......

Where did this bad blood come from?
Now there is a question.

Most reckon it goes back to a game in 1980 when Willie Johnston of rangers stamped on John McMaster's neck, leaving him in need of medical attention. Around this time Fergie was in charge and began instilling the 'everyone's against' mentality that he's perfected at Man U, although at Aberdeen he focused on the bias of the west coast media and the attention they gave the old firm. Fergie of course is no great fan of rangers as although he played for them he was essentially hounded out of the club as he married a catholic.

Whilst the football team (two European trophies, league titles and cups) went through a successful period it was also boom time in Aberdeen with the oil industry kicking into high gear, whilst Glasgow was in a state of continuing economic decline. Something the fans latched onto, with various wee ditties about living in slums, being on the dole, stealing hubcaps, and eating rats etc.

Then came the Neil Simpson tackle on Ian Durrant in '88. It's was a poor tackle, although Simpson's always protested that's all it was and there was no malice, that went over the ball and left Durrant with ligament damage that kept him up out for a long period, and many felt he was never the same player. Shame 'cause he's such a nice bloke!!

Various meaty games, sending offs, things thrown at players from the stands and such have pretty much always followed since. It's a pretty hostile atmosphere, I've not been to ibrox for about 15 years, after getting half bricks, coins and bottles chucked at me, and being threatened by a bunch of 40ish year old huns (i was about 18 at the time), some of whom had their kids with them.

There are pretty good summaries here http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns...679385&cc=4716 and here http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/scotland/1770821.stm

While there's no religious element to the rivalry, there is some nationalistic elements. Aberdeen fans have always tended to be strong followers of the Scottish national team, whilst rangers tend to more interested in disliking Ireland - you'll see 1,000 union jacks and ulster flags in the rangers end for every saltire. Aberdeen will sing Flower of Scotland to rangers God Save the Queen etc.

In summary they are wretched mass of unwashed lowlife (see Manchester, May 2008) and an embarrassment to Scotland, if the premiership want them then they can have then 'cause we don't.

I'm sure a rangers fan (if we can find one who can write) will have an altogether different story.

I should point out there's no great love lose between Aberdeen and Celtic either, or for that matter Aberdeen and Hibs, Hearts, Utd...
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 2:37 am
BE Enthusiast

StublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to all

Originally Posted by abz_to_dbx
Now there is a question.

Most reckon it goes back to a game in 1980 when Willie Johnston of rangers stamped on John McMaster's neck, leaving him in need of medical attention. Around this time Fergie was in charge and began instilling the 'everyone's against' mentality that he's perfected at Man U, although at Aberdeen he focused on the bias of the west coast media and the attention they gave the old firm. Fergie of course is no great fan of rangers as although he played for them he was essentially hounded out of the club as he married a catholic.
At the end of the day, Fergie wasnt good enough. If you ask any rangers fan of that era, he will say likewise. My dad is from Govan and friendly with Ferguson, all that crap about his wife is blown out of proportion. And fergie WAS a rangers fan growing up. His father wasnt.
Whilst the football team (two European trophies, league titles and cups) went through a successful period it was also boom time in Aberdeen with the oil industry kicking into high gear, whilst Glasgow was in a state of continuing economic decline. Something the fans latched onto, with various wee ditties about living in slums, being on the dole, stealing hubcaps, and eating rats etc.

Then came the Neil Simpson tackle on Ian Durrant in '88. It's was a poor tackle, although Simpson's always protested that's all it was and there was no malice, that went over the ball and left Durrant with ligament damage that kept him up out for a long period, and many felt he was never the same player. Shame 'cause he's such a nice bloke!!
no malice my A***. It was a disgraceful tackle
Various meaty games, sending offs, things thrown at players from the stands and such have pretty much always followed since. It's a pretty hostile atmosphere, I've not been to ibrox for about 15 years, after getting half bricks, coins and bottles chucked at me, and being threatened by a bunch of 40ish year old huns (i was about 18 at the time), some of whom had their kids with them.
Or a 60 year old guy from my bus getting bottled by Aberdeen casuals in their 20's about 6 years ago

There are pretty good summaries here http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns...679385&cc=4716 and here http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/scotland/1770821.stm

While there's no religious element to the rivalry, there is some nationalistic elements. Aberdeen fans have always tended to be strong followers of the Scottish national team, whilst rangers tend to more interested in disliking Ireland - you'll see 1,000 union jacks and ulster flags in the rangers end for every saltire. Aberdeen will sing Flower of Scotland to rangers God Save the Queen etc.
Every Rangers game you will see a Saltire as well as a Union Flag.
In summary they are wretched mass of unwashed lowlife (see Manchester, May 2008) and an embarrassment to Scotland, if the premiership want them then they can have then 'cause we don't.
and if we weren't there then you could invite the likes of Lisburn and other NOrthern Irish teams to the league as thats the level it would reach
I'm sure a rangers fan (if we can find one who can write) will have an altogether different story.

I should point out there's no great love lose between Aberdeen and Celtic either, or for that matter Aberdeen and Hibs, Hearts, Utd...
at the end of the day, no matter how much you want to be our rivals, you will never be hated as much as Celtic. But you are hated!
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 2:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by StublueKPL
at the end of the day, no matter how much you want to be our rivals, you will never be hated as much as Celtic. But you are hated!
Mate, I didn't travel half way around the world to squabble about Scottish football. Lets be honest were never going to agree on the rights and wrongs of it - but it is what it is.

Everyone has their war stories about things that have happened around the ground and I'm never going to condone or defend violence or some of the OTT aggression that comes with the rivalry - a bit of banter before, during and after fine, but when it gets to the level it all to regularly seems to (on both sides) then a line needs to be drawn.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.