British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Foody advice please.... suggestions.... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/foody-advice-please-suggestions-553309/)

Autonomy Aug 5th 2008 6:36 am

Foody advice please.... suggestions....

I've got a bunch of people in town, most of which I've not met, and I'm picking lunch venue on a Saturday....

These guys are only in town for 2 days and I'm wanting to take them somewhere with great food, not too formal, if possible with some great feature, like a good view or something cool... price not too much of an issue, but it's lunch so not really thinking Verre or Raflets!

I'm struggling!

I've not been to Frankie's yet - is that a good option?
Vu's maybe too pricy and don't fancy the Burj....
Eau Zone - is this open?

Any suggestions???? Thanks!

typical Aug 5th 2008 6:55 am

Re: Foody advice please.... suggestions....

Asado at the Palace Hotel in Old Town do a Saturday Brunch. The food was wonderful when I was there, and there's a good view of the Burj Dubai - construction everywhere else though...

Madam Medusa Aug 5th 2008 7:14 am

the food at frankies is really great...but there's not much atmosphere at lunchtime, cos it tends to be a bit quiet...

vus does a weekly business rate for lunch so it's good value, but not sure whether it applies on a saturday...

mango tree in the old town is very good (thai)...or medzo in wafi is fab too...

latitudes in jbh does a jazz brunch on a saturday...bubbly and cocktails and a good range of food...

then there's always apres with the view of the ski slope, which tourists seem to like...

i've read great reviews about bistro madeleine in the intercon festival city, and have also heard good things about asado...but haven't been yet...

will see whether i can think of any other suggestions...!

MM, xx

MissDemeanor Aug 5th 2008 7:45 am

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 6646628)
the food at frankies is really great...but there's not much atmosphere at lunchtime, cos it tends to be a bit quiet...

vus does a weekly business rate for lunch so it's good value, but not sure whether it applies on a saturday...

latitudes in jbh does a jazz brunch on a saturday...bubbly and cocktails and a good range of food...

then there's always apres with the view of the ski slope, which tourists seem to like...

i've read great reviews about bistro madeleine in the intercon festival city, and have also heard good things about asado...but haven't been yet...

MM, xx

Mmmm! Saturday bubbly brunch!How come we havent done this yet?!

Autonomy Aug 5th 2008 8:20 am

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 6646628)
good point
that would be good - but doubt it'll be on saturdays too...
mango - not been there - how does it compare to the Thai at Al Qasr?... medzo been too often!
latitudes in jbh does a jazz brunch on a saturday...bubbly and cocktails and a good range of food... this might work...hmm....

yeah Time Out had an ok review...

MM, xx

it's difficult when you don't know half of the people!

Certo at the Raddisson maybe....

Madam Medusa Aug 5th 2008 9:04 am

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 6646752)

i know...mango tree is very good, different to phai thai, but still very good...not sure whether anyone will be there on a sat though...

certo is ok, a bit average, defo not on a par with medzo, however much you go...what about bice in the hilton if you're after italian or the new one, dantes, in grand millenium (haven't been there, read good things about it though)??

if you don't know the people, brunch may be a good bet, cos there's something for everyone then...

MM, xx

Autonomy Aug 5th 2008 9:14 am

Originally Posted by typical (Post 6646588)
Asado at the Palace Hotel in Old Town do a Saturday Brunch. The food was wonderful when I was there, and there's a good view of the Burj Dubai - construction everywhere else though...

this might be an option too... was it busy? what was the price? was it inc. drinks etc? details man, details! :D

Dutchie Aug 5th 2008 9:34 am

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 6646752)

Go with what I normally do, call his or her secretary and ask what the General Manager / Manager in question likes. Neat little trick, always works. ;) That is before you go overboard in booking expensive tables while the guests just might want an informal dinner.

MissDemeanor Aug 5th 2008 10:31 am

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 6646559)
I've got a bunch of people in town, most of which I've not met, and I'm picking lunch venue on a Saturday....

These guys are only in town for 2 days and I'm wanting to take them somewhere with great food, not too formal, if possible with some great feature, like a good view or something cool... price not too much of an issue, but it's lunch so not really thinking Verre or Raflets!

I'm struggling!

I've not been to Frankie's yet - is that a good option?
Vu's maybe too pricy and don't fancy the Burj....
Eau Zone - is this open?

Any suggestions???? Thanks!

take them round to MM's.
She makes lovely lunches!:D

Autonomy Aug 5th 2008 10:39 am

Originally Posted by MissDemeanor (Post 6647112)
take them round to MM's.
She makes lovely lunches!:D

does she cut the crusts off?

MissDemeanor Aug 5th 2008 10:41 am

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 6647131)
does she cut the crusts off?

she'll cut something else off if your not careful!!:eek:

Dutchie Aug 5th 2008 10:43 am

Originally Posted by MissDemeanor (Post 6647136)

Hmmm... A man eater huh?

Dutchie Aug 5th 2008 10:46 am

Fear of the unknown is half the excitement Hannibal did say right?

Spugsy Aug 5th 2008 11:35 am

heh heh

typical Aug 5th 2008 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 6646882)
this might be an option too... was it busy? what was the price? was it inc. drinks etc? details man, details! :D

It was actually quite quiet, although it hadn't been open long and I notice it has received some pimping lately in the press.

Cost was AED 360 with freeflow booze, a hundred less for only soft drinks and juices.

It really was good, though.