Florida - any tips?

Old Mar 14th 2014, 4:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Florida - any tips?

Originally Posted by flares
May head Stateside again soon after last years successful lads trip to Vegas and San Francisco.

This time it'll be a family hol. Quite like the idea of Flo-rida.

Not overly keen on Theme Parks but would take one or two in for the kids.

Anyone been? Any tips apart from take some elastic-wasted strides?

I'm clueless - don't even know what time of year is best to go.

flares
What you need is to find someone who owns a house, preferably on a complex with pool, gym, etc, that just happens to be less than ten minutes' drive from Disney main gate.............

https://www.vacationpoolhomes.com/pr...immee-FL-34747
Old Mar 14th 2014, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

Venezuelan007 is an unknown quantity at this point

You're right that car hire is essential, but then that holds true everywhere in America apart from places like New York. We've never been scammed by car rental in Florida (or anywhere else in the States). They obviously try and upsell you at the counter, but we just stick to what we've booked.
Thats what I meant, usually they dont have the car you booked so they will offer an upscale care "for a few more bucks", theyll manage to force u get the GPS (which I have on my phone, and Hertz's GPS is junk FYI), theyll offer the toll pass, which is unnecesary, and insurances... Etc etc... So your 30$ a day offer rent turns out to be a 700$ a week, hahaha.
Old Mar 14th 2014, 10:02 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Venezuelan007
Thats what I meant, usually they dont have the car you booked so they will offer an upscale care "for a few more bucks"
We've only had it suggested to us that we could go for a bigger car for only a small extra payment. We have never been told "we haven't got anything in the size you booked, you'll have to pay for a bigger car" - in fact I think that's probably a violation of consumer law in most countries.

The one time we arrived and they genuinely didn't have any cars of the size we'd booked (other than returns that hadn't been valeted and refuelled yet), they gave us one from the next size up for no extra cost. We didn't have to ask or argue about it, they just did it.

So your 30$ a day offer rent turns out to be a 700$ a week, hahaha.
Only if you're dumb enough to fall for all that. Stick to your guns and you get what you want. Of course, I'm saying that from the perspective of an experienced traveller and there will always be people renting a car in an unfamiliar country for the first time who are more likely just to cave.
Old Mar 14th 2014, 11:34 am
Down and out

ctfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond repute

The guy with the performing cats at the back of the Hilton in Key West, awesome.
Old Mar 14th 2014, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

Venezuelan007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just wanted to give him a heads up in that matter
Old Mar 15th 2014, 1:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
What you need is to find someone who owns a house, preferably on a complex with pool, gym, etc, that just happens to be less than ten minutes' drive from Disney main gate.............

https://www.vacationpoolhomes.com/pr...immee-FL-34747
Cheers bud

Good to know

Flares
Old Mar 15th 2014, 3:22 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flares
Cheers bud

Good to know

Flares
I would second October as a good time to visit, weather is better then. March and early April are good weather wise too. Nice and warm but humidity hasn't kicked in yet. Have to watch when Easter falls though as it does get busy around then obviously.

It's wet season here in June/July/Aug and we get a lot of thunderstorms in the afternoons which isn't much fun when you are out in the parks.

I would second the Kennedy Space Center. We went about 10 years ago and found it boring, but went again last summer and they've since added a lot of new exhibits and the Atlantis Shuttle exhibit it fantastic.

One of my fav places to visit is Gator Land. Its a good afternoon out and it just fascinates me to see so many of these gators so close up.

If you want to get out and about a car is a must, although many come here and just use the hotel shuttles to get backwards and forwards. So if all you want to do is do the parks etc you can get by without a car, saying that you are then restricted to staying in those specific areas.

I live about 15 mins from mouseland, so happy to answer any questions you may have about best areas to stay, etc.