British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Floodgate (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/floodgate-816611/)

kittycat1 Dec 1st 2013 7:13 am

Floodgate

So I have had a lovely weekend, on Friday night whilst I slept snuggly having sweet dreams the water pipes that service my floor which are positioned directly opposite my apartment burst. I was rudely awoken at 5am by a loud knock on my door which as soon as I put my foot on the floor I realised would be the security to tell me there had been a leak (flood)... approx an inch to an inch and a half throughout my flat and I can confirm my apartment is not level as had a shallow pool in one corner.The lifts have also been put out of action so I think that gives you the idea were not talking a puddle here.

So I have spent the entire weekend mopping and drying everything off, washing anything that fits in the machine, there have been a few casualties that haven't made it and I am still in the process of drying everything out- rugs in particular are taking forever and I only have a small balcony.

I very wisely (sarcasm) did not renew my contents insurance for the last two years so know I can't claim there but what are the chance I can claim against my landlord? so far several pairs of shoes, my tomtom, bathroom scales, potentially one rug if I can't dry it out, various bits and pieces that are creeping up in cost? I am pretty sure I know the answer but anyone think its worth a chance and how would I go about it?

also anyone any tips on drying out rugs?

KC

Oh and they really should make those underbed storage things waterproof...

Irishbeekeeper Dec 1st 2013 7:19 am

Re: Floodgate

ouch! tough luck :(
cant help you about the landlord bit
but i do know if you plan on leaving the rug out on the roof to dry
sprinkle some washing liquid on both sides and make sure it is elevated

btw, I think you got off lucky as there wasnt an electrical short circuit and when you put your foot on the wet floor you didnt get eletrocuted
silver lining and all that :)

kittycat1 Dec 1st 2013 7:28 am

Yes I am lucky not to be fried - I had one extension lead that was switched on which was floating about, generally I switch everything off at night at the wall as I dont trust the electrics here so yes it could be worse I could be dead. :D

When you say washing liquid do you mean clothes washing liquid or fairy liquid type stuff? does that stop it going stinky?

Irishbeekeeper Dec 1st 2013 7:37 am

err, thats too technical for me i am afraid :D
the yellow colored one which you throw in the washing machine?
mind you i dont do any washing myself, I just remember using that once on a small rug of mine which ended up with a similar fate
we used to have 'dry cleaners' back home who would just bring things back spick and span in a few days

kittycat1 Dec 1st 2013 7:42 am

There is a dry cleaners next door to me but the rug is a bit blood heavy soaked so will have to dry it out then take it down- especially as the lift is still out.. I shall make enquiries, thanks Irish.

Boomhauer Dec 1st 2013 7:52 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 11015285)
also anyone any tips on drying out rugs?

Just throw them out, if they smell / got drenched with sewage water.

Few years back, after a winter with unusally heavy snowfall, our basement got flooded with over a foot of water. Lots of MiddleEastern rugs got ruined, so we just chucked the lot of them.

If ya really need to dry them out, hang them vertically , best if you can tilt it so you have a pointy edge facing the ground / or a bucket.

kittycat1 Dec 1st 2013 7:59 am

it was clean water- honestly if it were sewerage I would have moved out never to return

I am close to giving up on a wool one as it smells like a wet dog- am trying irishs tip and have thrown washing powder at it- it is hanging over my balcony vertically, most of the powder is now on my balcony having fallen straight off, I'll give it another couple of hours before it goes to rug heaven. just have one more t do after that as the other ones had dried, have also thrown washing powder over them, my rugs look like they have dandruff.

not sure how im going to cope with the last one as its so heavy..

Irishbeekeeper Dec 1st 2013 8:08 am

I would recommend you walk down the the dry cleaners and put on your best 'help i am lost' look complete with the eye lashes and all, and they will surely send someone back with you to pick up the heavy one and take it downstairs ;)
(in cases like these, a tip before-hand always comes in handy)

Kix Dec 1st 2013 8:11 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 11015321)
not sure how im going to cope with the last one as its so heavy..

No hint there for some fire-fighter type to strip down to his speedos and help you out eh?

kittycat1 Dec 1st 2013 8:17 am

Kix- if only... I actually think I may have put my back out rugs are ****ing heavy when wet!

have just thrown out my 3 indian pouffes :-(

kittycat1 Dec 1st 2013 8:18 am

and to be honest Id prefer it if they dont strip, I like a man in uniform not out of it- ok well maybe out of it a bit

Kix Dec 1st 2013 9:25 am

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 11015335)
Kix- if only... I actually think I may have put my back out rugs are ****ing heavy when wet!

have just thrown out my 3 indian pouffes :-(

Those poor Indian puffs... Soaking wet and now homeless....

kittycat1 Dec 1st 2013 9:33 am

I know Kix I felt bad throwing them out but they just refused to dry :(

My lifts are finally working so popped down to the drycleaners to ask if they do rugs- house visit only starting at 600aed as call out fee- also landlord says no chance for claiming on their insurance- what a crap weekend think this has cost me approx 15 k on damage.

Warning to others - get contents insurance!

mikewot Dec 1st 2013 9:42 am

Contents insurance from AXA for my place, 300 dibties.

Kix Dec 1st 2013 10:16 am

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 11015399)
Contents insurance from AXA for my place, 300 dibties.

Now don't rub it in mike....