Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Flight prices from UK to DXB - what the hell!!!

Flight prices from UK to DXB - what the hell!!!

Old Jul 18th 2011, 11:20 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flight prices from UK to DXB - what the hell!!!

Originally Posted by Meow
Just out of curiosity, I looked up flights on Royal Brunei. DXB -LHW return in August from AED 1,500.

That's amazingly cheap. Do you have to pedal the whole way to keep it in the air?
I flew with them in the early days, nice flights
Old Jul 18th 2011, 11:27 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Just back in Vietnam after flying Turkish (???) Vietnam to Bangkok and Emirates Bangkok to Glasgow. Cost 1100 quid for the EK leg, booked two days before travelling. I was upgraded to business for both legs on the A380 (from/to BKK) too. So that was nice.

I really, really hate economy in the Emirates 777 though.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 11:28 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, and Oman Air's Muscat to London flights are very nice, and often cheap.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 11:37 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by typical
Just back in Vietnam after flying Turkish (???) Vietnam to Bangkok and Emirates Bangkok to Glasgow. Cost 1100 quid for the EK leg, booked two days before travelling. I was upgraded to business for both legs on the A380 (from/to BKK) too. So that was nice.

I really, really hate economy in the Emirates 777 though.
How'd you manage the upgrade?

What's wrong with 777's? I keep looking at A380's to LDN but cost a mint compared to the rest of them...are economy and business that much better?
Old Jul 18th 2011, 11:55 am
Not an evil hypnotist

Originally Posted by Scamp
How'd you manage the upgrade?
I have had Gold status on Emirates for a couple of years. I get upgraded a lot (probably more than 15 times since getting status), though usually business->first. I find I get upgraded when flying the A380 far more than when flying other plane types, probably due to the number of seats in business and first.

(However, this only happens long haul - I have received an upgrade regionally only once, from Kuwait City to Dubai.)

What's wrong with 777's?
They are cramped. 3-4-3 configuration is one more seat than most airlines cram in. It's not as if they make up for it with increased space in front of you, either.

I keep looking at A380's to LDN but cost a mint compared to the rest of them...are economy and business that much better?
Business - depends entirely what the alternative is. Emirates is annoyingly inconsistent. All the A380s have fully flat beds, whereas a lot of the 777s have the cradle seats which are nowhere near as comfortable.

Economy - more space, quieter cabin, better air pressure, better IFE... but all in all, it's still economy and not great on the A380, it's just the EK 777s are bloody terrible.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 12:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by typical
I have had Gold status on Emirates for a couple of years. I get upgraded a lot (probably more than 15 times since getting status), though usually business->first. I find I get upgraded when flying the A380 far more than when flying other plane types, probably due to the number of seats in business and first.

(However, this only happens long haul - I have received an upgrade regionally only once, from Kuwait City to Dubai.)

They are cramped. 3-4-3 configuration is one more seat than most airlines cram in. It's not as if they make up for it with increased space in front of you, either.

Business - depends entirely what the alternative is. Emirates is annoyingly inconsistent. All the A380s have fully flat beds, whereas a lot of the 777s have the cradle seats which are nowhere near as comfortable.

Economy - more space, quieter cabin, better air pressure, better IFE... but all in all, it's still economy and not great on the A380, it's just the EK 777s are bloody terrible.
Noted, thanks for that.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

Just flew Etihad economy and have to say i was shocked how standards have slipped since the last time i flew down the back.

The food is, in a word, revolting. I chose a pot noodle and ate in comparative ecstasy compared to my neighbours who had chosen 'pastry'.

Absolute shambles compared to first and business.

Prices are a complete shocker too at chrimbo.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 5:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Flying back here on Saturday and the airbus was flying right next to us- are they meant to get this close?
Attached Thumbnails Flight prices from UK to DXB - what the hell!!!-lb-032.jpg  
Old Jul 18th 2011, 6:01 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
hows the leg spugs? Hope the missus is playing nursey well? xxx
Aye she did me proud, had a week off work as the anasthetic knocked me for a six, was all depressed and done in, couldn't figure out why.

Anyway a week off was (literally) just what the doctor ordered.

And yeah, it's healing, got a weird looking shaved knee and can't start running for a few weeks but it feels great, strong as an ox.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 6:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

yeah glad it went well spugs
Old Jul 18th 2011, 6:08 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by al dente
Just flew Etihad economy and have to say i was shocked how standards have slipped since the last time i flew down the back.

The food is, in a word, revolting. I chose a pot noodle and ate in comparative ecstasy compared to my neighbours who had chosen 'pastry'.

Absolute shambles compared to first and business.

Prices are a complete shocker too at chrimbo.
I find it ridiculous that even Economy costs £600-800 nowadays and the food is still shite, SURELY they can get something half decent?
Old Jul 18th 2011, 6:09 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Originally Posted by kittycat1
yeah glad it went well spugs
Thanks petal, are we gonna see your cheeky face out soon?
Old Jul 18th 2011, 6:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

im back off to blighty on Friday spugs back in a week just in time for ramadamadingdong so am sure I will see you then before you guys go
Old Jul 18th 2011, 7:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spugsy
I find it ridiculous that even Economy costs £600-800 nowadays and the food is still shite, SURELY they can get something half decent?
I've written an email to ask them to justify food that i not only wouldn't, but actually couldn't, feed to a dog. The budget from a £700 requires £2 more. whoopy doo.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by al dente
I've written an email to ask them to justify food that i not only wouldn't, but actually couldn't, feed to a dog. The budget from a £700 requires £2 more. whoopy doo.
Wonder if you will get a reply?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.