Flamingo resort

Old Sep 25th 2012, 3:14 pm
  #1  
Millhouse is not a meme
Thread Starter
 
Millhouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Disneyland, Dubai
Posts: 14,630
Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Flamingo resort

I've been tasked with organizing one of these dreaded team building things (see Meow - it pisses people off).

I have the second day sorted, but am a little unsure about my plans for the first day (which will be a half day). I'm thinking of going to the Flamingo Resort in UAQ to slaughter crabs followed by a BBQ of what is caught.

Anyone done this? Anyone been to the hotel? As I have plans for the following day, we would have to stay overnight and I don't want whiners about the rooms/ breakfast etc.

Cheers, M
Millhouse is offline  
Old Sep 26th 2012, 4:08 am
  #2  
Down and out
 
ctfc's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Re-Expated
Posts: 868
ctfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flamingo resort

If you've not done it before the team drumming exercise is seriously really good and I used it with a very culturally mixed group.

We did it with the lady who runs/ran the Dubai Full Moon Desert Drumming events who's also an exec coach so can weave it any context you need very effectively.

http://www.dubaidrums.com/

Last edited by ctfc; Sep 26th 2012 at 4:09 am. Reason: Added url
ctfc is offline  
Old Sep 26th 2012, 4:35 am
  #3  
Millhouse is not a meme
Thread Starter
 
Millhouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Disneyland, Dubai
Posts: 14,630
Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flamingo resort

Originally Posted by ctfc View Post
If you've not done it before the team drumming exercise is seriously really good and I used it with a very culturally mixed group.

We did it with the lady who runs/ran the Dubai Full Moon Desert Drumming events who's also an exec coach so can weave it any context you need very effectively.

http://www.dubaidrums.com/
done that already... that lady is a fruitcake - although full of energy!
Millhouse is offline  
Old Sep 26th 2012, 8:09 am
  #4  
Concierge
 
Blue Cat's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 29,625
Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flamingo resort

Originally Posted by Millhouse View Post
I've been tasked with organizing one of these dreaded team building things (see Meow - it pisses people off).

I have the second day sorted, but am a little unsure about my plans for the first day (which will be a half day). I'm thinking of going to the Flamingo Resort in UAQ to slaughter crabs followed by a BBQ of what is caught.

Anyone done this? Anyone been to the hotel? As I have plans for the following day, we would have to stay overnight and I don't want whiners about the rooms/ breakfast etc.

Cheers, M
it looks like a dump from the outside
Blue Cat is offline  
Old Sep 26th 2012, 8:23 am
  #5  
Millhouse is not a meme
Thread Starter
 
Millhouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Disneyland, Dubai
Posts: 14,630
Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flamingo resort

Originally Posted by Blue Cat View Post
it looks like a dump from the outside
shit, really? Any idea about the inside?
Millhouse is offline  
Old Sep 26th 2012, 11:10 am
  #6  
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,107
Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Flamingo resort

I've driven around the Flamingo in an unsuccessful attempt to find somewhere to eat during a meandering Barracuda run. The resort is now pretty crummy looking but I would have thought that was part of the appeal - depends on the group I suppose. I find Umm al Quwain fascinating precisely because it is so down-at-heel and slapdash and "real". You could get a great make-do-and-mend spirit of the blitz going or it could shatter from the screeching of those too fragile to cope without a 5 star veneer over everything. I have heard good things about the crab-hunting though and it is certainly a change from the usual Dubai activities.
Miss Anne Thrope is offline  
Old Sep 26th 2012, 11:28 am
  #7  
Millhouse is not a meme
Thread Starter
 
Millhouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Disneyland, Dubai
Posts: 14,630
Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flamingo resort

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope View Post
I've driven around the Flamingo in an unsuccessful attempt to find somewhere to eat during a meandering Barracuda run. The resort is now pretty crummy looking but I would have thought that was part of the appeal - depends on the group I suppose. I find Umm al Quwain fascinating precisely because it is so down-at-heel and slapdash and "real". You could get a great make-do-and-mend spirit of the blitz going or it could shatter from the screeching of those too fragile to cope without a 5 star veneer over everything. I have heard good things about the crab-hunting though and it is certainly a change from the usual Dubai activities.
Thanks Ms. - I've decided to kill this idea, on the basis that I'm dealing with a soft bunch who like to brush their teeth over a marble bowl.
Millhouse is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.