Fitness freaks

Old Sep 28th 2009, 9:38 am
  #31  
banned
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 7,609
commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fitness freaks

Originally Posted by littlejimmy View Post
I've just had my right hip replaced and want to get on the fitness trail when I'm recovered. I quite fancy getting into cycling or something like that - a more social kind of activity rather than sticking the i-pod on and being bored in the gym. But generally just want to get down to a decent weight and up to a decent level of fitness. I've been given a second chance and I don't want to waste it.
good man, what about a hybrid bike as opposed to a road bike. It may be a bit more forgiving on your hip,

Well done LJ, liveSTRONG!!!
commander is offline  
Old Sep 28th 2009, 9:40 am
  #32  
**** it we'll do it live
 
shiva's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Dubai
Posts: 7,892
shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fitness freaks

Originally Posted by littlejimmy View Post
I've just had my right hip replaced and want to get on the fitness trail when I'm recovered. I quite fancy getting into cycling or something like that - a more social kind of activity rather than sticking the i-pod on and being bored in the gym. But generally just want to get down to a decent weight and up to a decent level of fitness. I've been given a second chance and I don't want to waste it.
see the links then as body weight stuff will be perfect whilst your still recovering
shiva is offline  
Old Sep 28th 2009, 9:41 am
  #33  
Excess Baggage
 
littlejimmy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Dubai
Posts: 5,475
littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fitness freaks

Originally Posted by commander View Post
good man, what about a hybrid bike as opposed to a road bike. It may be a bit more forgiving on your hip,

Well done LJ, liveSTRONG!!!
Cheers. Think I'd be fine on a normal bike. THere's little impact on the joint, as opposed to jogging. A mate in Canada just met a chap who had a hip replaced and was cycling across Canada. I'd love to do something like that in a few years' time.
littlejimmy is offline  
Old Sep 28th 2009, 9:44 am
  #34  
banned
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 7,609
commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fitness freaks

Originally Posted by littlejimmy View Post
Cheers. Think I'd be fine on a normal bike. THere's little impact on the joint, as opposed to jogging. A mate in Canada just met a chap who had a hip replaced and was cycling across Canada. I'd love to do something like that in a few years' time.
then make it your long term goal....thats the thing, people shouldnt just train to get fit etc, they should have a goal, something to reach out for, to get you out of bed on that early morning..

YOU CAN DO IT!!!

christ, i get up on my days off at 4am to go cycling, running and swimming.

because i have a long term goal i am chasing that this level of commitment is what is required to realise that goal..
commander is offline  
Old Sep 28th 2009, 9:45 am
  #35  
**** it we'll do it live
 
shiva's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Dubai
Posts: 7,892
shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fitness freaks

Originally Posted by commander View Post
because i have a long term goal i am chasing that this level of commitment is what is required to realise that goal..
care to share? if not no worries
shiva is offline  
Old Sep 28th 2009, 9:50 am
  #36  
Concierge
Thread Starter
 
Blue Cat's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 29,625
Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fitness freaks

Originally Posted by shiva View Post
ta, i cheat fairly frequently tbh and the way i see it, if your going to cheat then **** it cheat big!!!! that said a 3 wk trip to the UK saw me gain 12lbs **** bit too much cheating there, although I've already lost 6 of that by doing nowt but eating better since i got back so...

will get into some running now the weather is on its way to being sensible again, really like the idea of some desert running as well, the idea appeals to me for some reason
my two week stint in the UK saw me gain about half a stone as well, bloody depressing it is .
Blue Cat is offline  
Old Sep 28th 2009, 9:54 am
  #37  
Excess Baggage
 
littlejimmy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Dubai
Posts: 5,475
littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fitness freaks

Originally Posted by Blue Cat View Post
my two week stint in the UK saw me gain about half a stone as well, bloody depressing it is .
A lot of it is about mindset, from previous experience of diets and stuff. Everyone will have bumps along the way...visits home or holidays or illnesses. It's when we let these molehills become mountains that the problems compound. We just have to accept the fact that these bumps will happen and move on from them. Of course, it's all easier said than done...
littlejimmy is offline  
Old Sep 28th 2009, 10:08 am
  #38  
Concierge
Thread Starter
 
Blue Cat's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 29,625
Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fitness freaks

Originally Posted by littlejimmy View Post
A lot of it is about mindset, from previous experience of diets and stuff. Everyone will have bumps along the way...visits home or holidays or illnesses. It's when we let these molehills become mountains that the problems compound. We just have to accept the fact that these bumps will happen and move on from them. Of course, it's all easier said than done...
very true LJ

what about aquafit? I am going to go on Thursday to the one at the Meridien Mina Seyahi
Blue Cat is offline  
Old Sep 28th 2009, 10:09 am
  #39  
banned
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 7,609
commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fitness freaks

Originally Posted by shiva View Post
care to share? if not no worries
2010 IM 70.3
2011 Dubai Marathon and one another
2012 Full IM

Its hard though to get all the training in with a busy job and a young family.

then after that, try to improve over the olympic distance and try to at least do 1 IM70.3 a year.

Really, i just want to be fit and healthy to enjoy playing sport and encouraging my children. I want them to look up to their dad as a cool, fit guy, not a bloke out of the Royle family..
commander is offline  
Old Sep 28th 2009, 10:16 am
  #40  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Madam Medusa's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 18,187
Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fitness freaks

Originally Posted by Blue Cat View Post
I am sat here in my gym gear, all ready to go to the gym but I bloody hate it!! I so want to get fit but can't stand the gym, might try swimming instead. What motivates you to get up and go to the gym? Commander?
going to stoli...err, i mean patsy...

MM, xx
Madam Medusa is offline  
Old Sep 28th 2009, 10:18 am
  #41  
Concierge
Thread Starter
 
Blue Cat's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 29,625
Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fitness freaks

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa View Post
going to stoli...err, i mean patsy...

MM, xx
MM if I had the money I would be there trust me, things a bit tight at the minute and I want to renew my membership for the lakes.
Blue Cat is offline  
Old Sep 28th 2009, 10:22 am
  #42  
**** it we'll do it live
 
shiva's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Dubai
Posts: 7,892
shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fitness freaks

Originally Posted by commander View Post
2010 IM 70.3
2011 Dubai Marathon and one another
2012 Full IM

Its hard though to get all the training in with a busy job and a young family.

then after that, try to improve over the olympic distance and try to at least do 1 IM70.3 a year.

Really, i just want to be fit and healthy to enjoy playing sport and encouraging my children. I want them to look up to their dad as a cool, fit guy, not a bloke out of the Royle family..
good on you. the last sentence is all you need really, sad thing though is it would put you in the absolute minority of people these days.

my own goals arent as specific but in general i want a body fat% of about 8-10%and to be fitter than i have ever been in my life, fit enough to do whatever challenge i want to do without the need for any particular pre event training, maybe do one of them there adventure races.
its hard to quantify but i have a physical ideal in my mind and will know once i reach it
shiva is offline  
Old Sep 28th 2009, 10:27 am
  #43  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,287
admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fitness freaks

Originally Posted by shiva View Post
good on you. the last sentence is all you need really, sad thing though is it would put you in the absolute minority of people these days.

my own goals arent as specific but in general i want a body fat% of about 8-10%and to be fitter than i have ever been in my life, fit enough to do whatever challenge i want to do without the need for any particular pre event training, maybe do one of them there adventure races.
its hard to quantify but i have a physical ideal in my mind and will know once i reach it
I like to keep in shape. The shape I aspire to is a sack of potatoes.
admon is offline  
Old Sep 28th 2009, 10:31 am
  #44  
**** it we'll do it live
 
shiva's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Dubai
Posts: 7,892
shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fitness freaks

Originally Posted by admon View Post
I like to keep in shape. The shape I aspire to is a sack of potatoes.
now thats an easy goal to achieve
shiva is offline  
Old Sep 28th 2009, 1:21 pm
  #45  
why ayeeeee man!
 
Spugsy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Disco Gardens...
Posts: 11,370
Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fitness freaks

Originally Posted by Blue Cat View Post
I am sat here in my gym gear, all ready to go to the gym but I bloody hate it!! I so want to get fit but can't stand the gym, might try swimming instead. What motivates you to get up and go to the gym? Commander?
I've been almost every day for the last 3 weeks apart when from I play footy, I have my iPod fully loaded with loads of metal / banging house / etc to get me motivated but to be honest it is boring - I love my footy, I play 3 times a week and it's the laugh you have with your mates.

I'd advise you to find somewhere where you can meet other people and do classes together, get new mates and have fun, if you go to teh gym on your own and you're not keen you will never push yourself therefore not really do that much.

When it cools down you should maybe go to Safa Park or somewhere and just go for a good hours walk.
Spugsy is offline  

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.