Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Fitch Ratings has placed Dubai-based banks on Rating Watch Negative

Fitch Ratings has placed Dubai-based banks on Rating Watch Negative

Old Dec 6th 2009, 4:09 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fitch Ratings has placed Dubai-based banks on Rating Watch Negative

Fitch Ratings has placed the individual ratings of four Dubai-based banks on Rating Watch Negative (RWN) because of Dubai World’s recent request to postpone debt repayments, it said on Saturday. The banks include Commercial Bank of Dubai, Emirates NBD, Mashreqbank, and HSBC Bank Middle East. Fitch said its actions reflect the belief that “these banks have significant exposures to Dubai World and other Dubai government-related entities,” but that it expects to resolve these RWN over the next two weeks.

http://www.kippreport.com/2009/12/fi...tive%E2%80%99/

Stating the obvious, but to be safe I'd suggest keeping minimal living savings here only...
Old Dec 6th 2009, 4:50 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fitch Ratings has placed Dubai-based banks on Rating Watch Negative

I'll say it again. There is no need to panic and I do not expect these banks to fail.

I've been advising people to keep the builk of their monies offshore for years.

-
Old Dec 6th 2009, 4:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

spart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud of
Default Junk status

S&P slashes Dubai companies' ratings‎

DUBAI: Standard & Poor's has slashed the credit ratings of six Dubai state-linked companies to junk status, among them worldwide ports operator DP World.

I had heard this a little while back.
Old Dec 6th 2009, 6:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Junk status

Originally Posted by spart
S&P slashes Dubai companies' ratings‎

DUBAI: Standard & Poor's has slashed the credit ratings of six Dubai state-linked companies to junk status, among them worldwide ports operator DP World.

I had heard this a little while back.
While this is probably true, please don't forget that S&P, Fitch and Moodys are the same monkeys that gave the sub-prime mortgage backed bonds triple A ratings when in fact they were worse than junk - they very much had their part in ****ing everything up.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 4:06 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

I heard that there is a silent run on ENBD (and I presume in other local Dubai banks as well). They've apparently lost well over 3 billion in deposits over the last week. The Indian business community (who have spent decades in Dubai) are pulling their money out of the bank and the UAE big time.

They should actually have been rated junk long back.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 6:55 am
Banned

GrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by IndieG
I heard that there is a silent run on ENBD (and I presume in other local Dubai banks as well). They've apparently lost well over 3 billion in deposits over the last week. The Indian business community (who have spent decades in Dubai) are pulling their money out of the bank and the UAE big time.

They should actually have been rated junk long back.
IndieG, I love you!

BTW, I do expect the NRI community at a certain point to flex their non-violent muscles and just take over the whole place. And I do mean the WHOLE place.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 7:01 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

What gets me is that Dubai seems quite happy for any Tom, Dick and Harry to wax lyrical on the financial secureness of Dubai...

Police Chief Now Financial Expert.....
Old Dec 8th 2009, 11:11 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GrecoRomano
IndieG, I love you!

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
What gets me is that Dubai seems quite happy for any Tom, Dick and Harry to wax lyrical on the financial secureness of Dubai...

Police Chief Now Financial Expert.....
I guess he's become an expert now - he probably got trained by the inmates in his "office"...