Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

First World Problem - Need to buy a car as a gift in Dubai.

First World Problem - Need to buy a car as a gift in Dubai.

Old Jun 26th 2018, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

miuser2 is a jewel in the roughmiuser2 is a jewel in the roughmiuser2 is a jewel in the roughmiuser2 is a jewel in the rough
Default First World Problem - Need to buy a car as a gift in Dubai.

Hi All,

It's my wife's (very significant number) birthday soon and I want to buy her a fancy car. I know almost nothing about cars and care even less. I think I want to pay in or around 100,000 AED and get a Jaguar of some sort (2nd hand is fine), a 4 door would probably be better.

I much prefer to buy from a dealer with some kind of warranty to avoid the hassle of dealing with random dubizzlers.

That said, good people of British Expats, can you recommend where I should go in Dubai? Bear in mind that I loathe shopping of any kind so I prefer to go somewhere that can sort the transaction out quickly and efficiently, not rip me off too badly and service the jalopy properly if everything goes horribly wrong later. I definitely have no interest in spending days out in Ras al Khor market to save 100 dirhams.

M.
Old Jun 27th 2018, 2:52 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First World Problem - Need to buy a car as a gift in Dubai.

Originally Posted by miuser2
Hi All,

It's my wife's (very significant number) birthday soon and I want to buy her a fancy car. I know almost nothing about cars and care even less. I think I want to pay in or around 100,000 AED and get a Jaguar of some sort (2nd hand is fine), a 4 door would probably be better.

I much prefer to buy from a dealer with some kind of warranty to avoid the hassle of dealing with random dubizzlers.

That said, good people of British Expats, can you recommend where I should go in Dubai? Bear in mind that I loathe shopping of any kind so I prefer to go somewhere that can sort the transaction out quickly and efficiently, not rip me off too badly and service the jalopy properly if everything goes horribly wrong later. I definitely have no interest in spending days out in Ras al Khor market to save 100 dirhams.

M.
If you are going to buy her a car for her birthday, then buy a new one not second hand.
Old Jun 27th 2018, 4:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

What not to do - go to a second-hand car saleseman and say "I have 100,000. What have you got ?"

Seriously I would buy new. Maybe not a Jag at that price
Old Jun 27th 2018, 4:33 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Hi All,

M.
Go to the Al Tayer used car place in Al Quoz. They have all their brands (including Jaguar), some in the showroom and then a huge car park above with the rest of their stock. It feels like you're buying new but they're all used / trade ins etc.
Old Jun 27th 2018, 7:07 am
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute

I’m selling my beloved Jaguar XKR convertible if you’re interested.
Old Jun 27th 2018, 7:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Get her a bright red Nissan 370Z. You'll get one around 18mths old from Nissan Approved for about 100k.
Old Jun 27th 2018, 8:36 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Get her a bright red Nissan 370Z. You'll get one around 18mths old from Nissan Approved for about 100k.
The answer to every car question is not a Nissan 370z.

Suggestion though I don't know the cost, how about a reasonably souped up Mini?
Old Jun 27th 2018, 8:53 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
The answer to every car question is not a Nissan 370z.

Suggestion though I don't know the cost, how about a reasonably souped up Mini?
Definitely.
"Here you go darling, I know you were dreaming of Jaguar but I got you a Nissan."
Old Jun 27th 2018, 9:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Definitely.
"Here you go darling, I know you were dreaming of Jaguar but I got you a Nissan."
If I had a choice between a 5 year old jag or a 12mth year old 370z I know what I'd choose.

You want to get some new car smell, the Jag isn't going to deliver that but it will provide some maintenance issues.
Old Jun 27th 2018, 9:41 am
Account Closed

If I had a choice between a 5 year old jag or a 12mth year old 370z I know what I'd choose.

You want to get some new car smell, the Jag isn't going to deliver that but it will provide some maintenance issues.
Me too. The Jag, every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

I've been looking at second hand Mustangs just so I can tick the V8 off.
Old Jun 27th 2018, 9:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Scamp
Me too. The Jag, every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

I've been looking at second hand Mustangs just so I can tick the V8 off.
The Mustang was a lot of fun - sadly died at the hands of a jet wash. I'd get another though, but you have to be prepared for quality issues - like the roof lining falling down if you leave it in the sun for an afternoon.
Old Jun 27th 2018, 10:09 am
Account Closed

The Mustang was a lot of fun - sadly died at the hands of a jet wash. I'd get another though, but you have to be prepared for quality issues - like the roof lining falling down if you leave it in the sun for an afternoon.
I'm talking about a 20-25,000 run into the ground by revving the engine all the time on the way to golf sort of purchase.
Old Jun 27th 2018, 12:26 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

M.

A ex salesman of mine is in Dubai at a used car dealer. I would trust him with cars - he worked with me for 5 years in Doha. Drop me a PM and I'm happy to give you his details
Old Jun 28th 2018, 3:08 am
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute

its actually 10 years old (bought by me from new) and has honestly never been in the garage except for service, tires and brakes! I think I had one issue with the bonnet release when it was about a year old and that’s it.

Jaguar have addressed their quality issues very well in my view.

Old Jun 28th 2018, 5:09 am
Knee deep and rising

Originally Posted by TheShed

its actually 10 years old (bought by me from new) and has honestly never been in the garage except for service, tires and brakes! I think I had one issue with the bonnet release when it was about a year old and that’s it.

Jaguar have addressed their quality issues very well in my view.

Not specifically aimed at Jags but a 10 year old car sounds like a ticking time bomb of maintenance to me. Every time his wife breaks down, he is going to be delighted about the gift he got her

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.