Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

First Syria and now Iraq

First Syria and now Iraq

Old Jun 15th 2014, 11:49 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First Syria and now Iraq

Originally Posted by Scamp
The speed at which the baddies have taken control of a number of cities means logically, to me anyway, that they're quite well equipped both physically and tactically.
no not really, they are a smallish force who move very quickly and come in all guns blazing. this is not something your average middle eastern soldier is a fan of. they tend to drop their guns and uniforms in the face of this and **** off rather quickly.

had they faced a disciplined force with combat experience they would have been batted away much as though one might swat a fly. Any western army would have seen this mob off in a matter of hours with a well devised, practiced and disciplined defense.

ISIS (or ISIL) dont have the forces to hold ground against any serious counter attack, they dont have the numbers but that may change rapidly if they did indeed steal a few hundred mill. Most of these jihadits expect to get paid...no i dont get it either if its religiously motivated but such it is.

what they do have is a bunch of ****ing nutters, battle hardened in syria (as much as firing randomly in the air can be called battle) who are trigger happy and a local populous who deeply pissed off with the central government.

in short its a cluster **** of epic proportions, entirely avoidable at any of a hundreds points in the last 10 years and entirely avoidable if the iraqi army had taken a few moments to not ****ing leg it at the first sign of a nap disturbed.
Old Jun 15th 2014, 11:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
no not really, they are a smallish force who move very quickly and come in all guns blazing. this is not something your average middle eastern soldier is a fan of. they tend to drop their guns and uniforms in the face of this and **** off rather quickly.

had they faced a disciplined force with combat experience they would have been batted away much as though one might swat a fly. Any western army would have seen this mob off in a matter of hours with a well devised, practiced and disciplined defense.

ISIS (or ISIL) dont have the forces to hold ground against any serious counter attack, they dont have the numbers but that may change rapidly if they did indeed steal a few hundred mill. Most of these jihadits expect to get paid...no i dont get it either if its religiously motivated but such it is.

what they do have is a bunch of ****ing nutters, battle hardened in syria (as much as firing randomly in the air can be called battle) who are trigger happy and a local populous who deeply pissed off with the central government.

in short its a cluster **** of epic proportions, entirely avoidable at any of a hundreds points in the last 10 years and entirely avoidable if the iraqi army had taken a few moments to not ****ing leg it at the first sign of a nap disturbed.
As much as anything, it's terrorism, small bands firing randomly and spouting some ideological crap at gun point. Small units like that have always been difficult to pin point to any one location. In Iraq you have a population so utterly bemused, that they will more or less accept anything, if it makes things quiet for a while. After all, armed disruption has been the order of the day since 1980.
Old Jun 15th 2014, 12:37 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by shiva

Of course you could, these kind of things are never down to one reason, it's always a combination of factors but the speed at which this has unfolded is quite spectacular.
Agreed completely.
Old Jun 15th 2014, 12:40 pm
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed completely.
Agreeing with yourself, the first step on the road to dog noncing.
Old Jun 15th 2014, 12:45 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
Agreeing with yourself, the first step on the road to dog noncing.
I'm sure you speak from barrel loads of experience.
Old Jun 15th 2014, 12:51 pm
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure you speak from barrel loads of experience.
I've learned to recognise the signals. Check your pockets for Bonio.
Old Jun 15th 2014, 1:02 pm
Account Closed

I've learned to recognise the signals. Check your pockets for Bonio.
Well done, very funny. Amongst your most useful input into anything.
Old Jun 15th 2014, 1:14 pm
Knee deep and rising

What can I say, people quoting themselves annoys me a bit whether be it written or spoken.
My pomposity alarm must be sensitive today, apologies.
Old Jun 15th 2014, 1:15 pm
Knee deep and rising

What can I say, people quoting themselves annoys me a bit whether be it written or spoken.
Agreed
Old Jun 15th 2014, 1:17 pm
Account Closed

My pomposity alarm must be sensitive today, apologies.
I was just showing Shiva that I agreed with him. I didn't want to just quote him and myself because it comes across a bit knob-ish to someone I don't want to think of me as being knob-ish.

I hope that clears it up, nothing pompous intended, just me saying that I agree with something that was said and was showing that I'd previously gone along the similar lines, but not perhaps as in depth.

But now I get intimate with dogs because of this, I get it. It's cool.
Old Jun 15th 2014, 1:22 pm
Knee deep and rising

I was just showing Shiva that I agreed with him. I didn't want to just quote him and myself because it comes across a bit knob-ish to someone I don't want to think of me as being knob-ish.

I hope that clears it up, nothing pompous intended, just me saying that I agree with something that was said and was showing that I'd previously gone along the similar lines, but not perhaps as in depth.

But now I get intimate with underage dogs because of this, I get it. It's cool.
Its a slow day here what can I say.
Old Jun 15th 2014, 1:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I can see that many posters here have frontline experience in Wars in the Middle East.
Old Jun 15th 2014, 2:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
I can see that many posters here have frontline experience in Wars in the Middle East.
Rather closer than you might think.
Old Jun 15th 2014, 3:08 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Well one of my team does. He's been through a lot more than a bitter retired school teacher.
Old Jun 15th 2014, 5:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Regardless of my status, I think more intervention by the West is a mistake. That makes me bitter ? Or a realist ? Blair is a war criminal. The interventionists who agree with him are wrong.

http://www.militaryethics.org/Britis...Insurgency/10/

The research is not by some pinko Guardian journo or by a "bitter retired schoolteacher" but by a retired army officer with an OBE.

Last edited by scot47; Jun 15th 2014 at 6:11 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.