Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

First Syria and now Iraq

First Syria and now Iraq

Old Jun 15th 2014, 10:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First Syria and now Iraq

Originally Posted by mikewot
I read the Bliar article and I cannot help but think he has a hidden agenda. Obviously religion is playing a big big part in all of this and our Tony is well know for his religious afilliations. I am strongly reminded of the crusades, only a modern version.
Big Tony is an arms dealer. Simple as that.
Old Jun 15th 2014, 10:19 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Back in 2004 an Arab bloke in the office told me the Iraq invasion would be a disaster. ..the reason being that Arabs need a brutal leader to keep them in check. Horrific what Saddam used to do but it did keep control. It's a very emotive subject, but maybe some truth in it. Look at Syria, I suspect fat more have suffered and died in last few years than in the past decade.
Old Jun 15th 2014, 10:22 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
Back in 2004 an Arab bloke in the office told me the Iraq invasion would be a disaster. ..the reason being that Arabs need a brutal leader to keep them in check. Horrific what Saddam used to do but it did keep control. It's a very emotive subject, but maybe some truth in it. Look at Syria, I suspect fat more have suffered and died in last few years than in the past decade.
Iraq, Libya, Egypt, Syria..... The Arab spring has been a disaster.

Your friend was right.

Last edited by Beaverstate; Jun 15th 2014 at 10:23 am. Reason: doh
Old Jun 15th 2014, 10:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

The need for a brutal leader is usually the case where you have so many factions with differing agendas. The same thing happened in Yugoslavia shortly after Tito died. Simmering resentments eventually boiled over, and Syria and Iraq are showing signs of repeating history....
Old Jun 15th 2014, 10:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OleJanx
The need for a brutal leader is usually the case where you have so many factions with differing agendas. The same thing happened in Yugoslavia shortly after Tito died. Simmering resentments eventually boiled over, and Syria and Iraq are showing signs of repeating history....
With the exception of the west, the vast majority of the world has done better under dictatorship vs. democracy. China's rise would not have happened under democracy, India will never rise and deliver on its potential as a consequence of "democracy". The Arabs certainly need a brutal dictator (or at least a rich benevolent one).

Don't forget the amount of blood spilt in getting Europe to democracy.
Old Jun 15th 2014, 10:34 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Millhouse
How have you come to this conclusion, by the way?

You could also say that the Iraqi army were under-resourced, under-trained, and poorly organised. A US/UK doing. Just sayin' you're not wrong, but I'm not totally sure that you are right either.

Anyway, Blair tells us it's not his fault. I believe him.
The speed at which the baddies have taken control of a number of cities means logically, to me anyway, that they're quite well equipped both physically and tactically. To achieve the former you need cash and if they've been ploughing through banks, they definitely have that too. It appears their numbers will have swollen by gaining support in the areas they infiltrate.

Of course you could, these kind of things are never down to one reason, it's always a combination of factors but the speed at which this has unfolded is quite spectacular.

Still, what do I know, I'm just another idiot on the internet pretending I know stuff.
Old Jun 15th 2014, 10:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

With the exception of the west, the vast majority of the world has done better under dictatorship vs. democracy. China's rise would not have happened under democracy, India will never rise and deliver on its potential as a consequence of "democracy". The Arabs certainly need a brutal dictator (or at least a rich benevolent one).

Can you imagine the fun and games that would follow if the house of Saud fell?
Old Jun 15th 2014, 10:39 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
The speed at which the baddies have taken control of a number of cities means logically, to me anyway, that they're quite well equipped both physically and tactically. To achieve the former you need cash and if they've been ploughing through banks, they definitely have that too. It appears their numbers will have swollen by gaining support in the areas they infiltrate.

Of course you could, these kind of things are never down to one reason, it's always a combination of factors but the speed at which this has unfolded is quite spectacular.

Still, what do I know, I'm just another idiot on the internet pretending I know stuff.

My Iraqi man said it was not down to how good\well equipped they are, more to do with the discontent throughout the country with the current government. He says they want change and this seems to be the quickest way.

The drones will soon sort out ISIS.
Old Jun 15th 2014, 10:42 am

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

I'm on the other side of the world but I gave a nervous laugh at that.

I imagine the entire Middle East would fall apart as we know it.
Old Jun 15th 2014, 10:45 am

My Iraqi man said it was not down to how good\well equipped they are, more to do with the discontent throughout the country with the current government. He says they want change and this seems to be the quickest way.

The drones will soon sort out ISIS.
Don't expect very much out of Obama.

Merely a token gesture as he has no stomach for it (see Syria etc...)
Old Jun 15th 2014, 10:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It would be amazing. It'll happen when we crack nuclear fusion/ fracking - before then we'll do our best to prop it up.
Old Jun 15th 2014, 10:48 am
Big Member

And there we go...people now have very short memories (in the terms of history).

People in 'The West' expect everywhere else to immediately conform to their standards. This place is still tribal and anyone ignoring that is a bloody idiot.
Old Jun 15th 2014, 10:54 am

And there we go...people now have very short memories (in the terms of history).

People in 'The West' expect everywhere else to immediately conform to their standards. This place is still tribal and anyone ignoring that is a bloody idiot.
In many areas pushing/promoting democracy is a waste of time.

A good idea to begin with, but a proven non starter in most societies.

Perhaps the Mid East does need to redraw its maps along tribal or religious lines.
Old Jun 15th 2014, 11:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It would be amazing. It'll happen when we crack nuclear fusion/ fracking - before then we'll do our best to prop it up.
This is one of the reasons the west prop up the Al Sauds. The alternative is every politicians nightmare. Iraq is one thing, but their oil has been off the western radar for decades, but the loss of Saudi oil? Loosing Kuwaiti oil for a few months in '90/'91 was bad enough...
Old Jun 15th 2014, 11:43 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Big Tony is a ****.
corrected your typo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.