The First Afghan War

Old Feb 2nd 2013, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: The First Afghan War

Originally Posted by scot47
Now that they have sorted out the Afghans they are off to deal with Mali.
Support our troops - bring them home.
For most of our troops, especially the younger ones, the last thing they want is to be brought home. Anyone who has joined in the past 5-10 years has done so knowing they would go on lots of overseas operations, and did so to take part and enjoy the adrenaline. And the senior generals are keen to keep the military on ops as it keeps the budget topped up. It is generally just the middle ranks, with children at home and too many overseas tours behind them, who are less enthusiastic.
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 2:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

They should not be there. I do not blame them, but the politicians who cannot resist foreign intervention - which never achieves the war aims.
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 3:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

They should not be there. I do not blame them, but the politicians who cannot resist foreign intervention - which never achieves the war aims.
If you're talking about Mali, they aren't really. Just a few hundred supportin logistics for the Frenchies (apparently)
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 3:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Now that they have sorted out the Afghans they are off to deal with Mali.
how/ what did they do exactly?

From what I can tell we have achieved nothing - listen to all the bullshit around the accelerated withdrawal. When the military (closely followed by the donor aid) leaves you will have a lot of very poor and upset Afghans with nothing to do. All those kids born into war - this is just the beginning, my friend.
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 8:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I was usingv irony by saying the opposite of what most of see as obvious. Intervention in Afghanistan has not been a success. From Day One no one seemed to have defined the War Aims. If you don't know what you want to do, how will you know when you have won ?

Last edited by scot47; Feb 2nd 2013 at 9:25 pm.
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 3:59 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

The number one complaint I have heard from a senior Army officer I know who was out there along with was that the Politicians wouldn't let them do their job. The parameters kept changing every few months. Our boys are so much better trained and equipped than the enemy and we could achieve total domination of the place if we had the political will...which we don't. The last war we entered with aim of decisively pummelling the enemy was world war 2. Since then we settle for half victories and apologies. I don't know of any power in history that lasted long with that mentality.

And the reality on the ground is the places we are going to have people who see anything other than brutal pummelling as weakness.

N.
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 5:21 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paracletus
I do agree, on most of it. I wouldn't mind a shared defense though, but common regulation on shape and size of vegetables and such is ridicolous.

Some would argue we are perhaps the most European nation, considering how many times the isles have been invaded.
Shared defence, closer trade and co-operation are the way forward. I think we like our irregular shaped veg though

The notion that invasions had major impact genetically on the British is widely discredited by the way. The Saxons, who arguably made England may have numbered less than 25,000 people in a time where the population numbered several million - in other worlds around 1% of the population (current immigration stands at something like 10%).(http://news.nationalgeographic.co.uk...ishgene_2.html) It doesn't take a lot of people to completely change a culture, legal system and language. When you are aware of this you tend to get more fidgety about things like immigration with proper assimilation.

That and the fact that being invaded in the past doesn't mean we have to capitulate to further invasion. We've been invaded a lot less than most other nations. Europe is comprised of many nations and peoples who have the right to manage their own affairs, make their own laws and control their own borders. Until the EU makes that a priority above the needs of big, greedy companies and unelected officials I will stand against it.

N.